Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West coast won this trade easily. He might still go up another level. Goal kicking midfielders are rare and his ability to gather the loose ball is something west coast struggle with.

All geelong got is a bunch of picks past 10 which are low percentage of making it.

West coast won this trade easily. He might still go up another level. Goal kicking midfielders are rare and his ability to gather the loose ball is something west coast struggle with.

All geelong got is a bunch of picks past 10 which are low percentage of making it.

Parfitt, Esava, Stewart, Fogarty, Constable, Tim Kelly, Miers and Jordan Clark are all draftees from the last 3 drafts taken after pick 10 (and after pick 14, the earliest pick we’ve had in the draft since Cockatoo).

Parfitt, Esava, Stewart, Fogarty, Constable, Tim Kelly, Miers and Jordan Clark are all draftees from the last 3 drafts taken after pick 10 (and after pick 14, the earliest pick we’ve had in the draft since Cockatoo).

Its a pretty nice list but all teams think they have good young players.

Kelly to me looked the cats best player by miles last game they played and thats impressive given the quality of the geelong side

I agree.

And it’s still possible at least that the future 1st ends up a top 10 pick 😜

Zero guarantees in footy.

Look at Richmond when they most of their guns out vs in the finals. Totally different team.

I'm glad you can't (well technically you can) trade your future first and second round picks. Only saving grace of having a poor year is your picks improve.

Geelong wouldn't be banking on WC doing a Melbourne but all future picks are a gamble to some degree. Sometimes you win (GWS Treloar) sometimes you don't (GC pick swap with us).

It was a while ago so my memory fails me (nothing to do with all the beers since then) but i do remember it was the reason he made it to Geelongs pick.

Yes but wasn't an ACL, there were concerns that he had a degenerative issue with his knee that would lead to a shortened career and the need to manage him. Didn't turn out to be an issue at all.

Its a pretty nice list but all teams think they have good young players.

Kelly to me looked the cats best player by miles last game they played and thats impressive given the quality of the geelong side

No question it weakens us in the short term to not have Kelly. Whether it does in the long term depends what we do with the picks.

Of course I would. Just player after player citing 'family reasons' when its just fact they have a massive contract offer and that's the reason they go home. Player should just tell it like it is and stop making s**t up.
Bloke has two kids with non-verbal autism, that's probably a good start.

Also: how do you reckon "I'm going for dollar$$$$" would go down with fans?

Dunno, we won three flags with a bunch of picks taken past ten (+ Ottens, Bartel and Selwood).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Corey, Mackie and Hawkins who would have been pick 1 or 2 had he not been F/S.

You can find good players late but you still need half dozen elite talents.
Agree, but Ablett, Scarlett (neither of whom were stars as juniors), SJ, Taylor and Enright all have a genuine shot of being in our Team of the Century and were all later picks.

Particularly picks 10 - 30, you get upset if you don't land 50% of those.

Agree, but Ablett, Scarlett (neither of whom were stars as juniors), SJ, Taylor and Enright all have a genuine shot of being in our Team of the Century and were all later picks.

Particularly picks 10 - 30, you get upset if you don't land 50% of those.

Thats where trading with other clubs is SO important, the 17-27 on the list that so often keep the club in the top 4.

This is a comparison of the two scenarios using a DVI which is much better aligned to actual pick values.

It works on the basis of what we would have given up if we'd accepted the 2018 deal. So that includes consideration that we turned 20, 22 and a future third into four second rounders.

It shows that we would have been slightly worse off if we'd accepted the 2018 deal.

asr.JPG

This is a comparison of the two scenarios using a DVI which is much better aligned to actual pick values.

It works on the basis of what we would have given up if we'd accepted the 2018 deal. So that includes consideration that we turned 20, 22 and a future third into four second rounders.

It shows that we would have been slightly worse off if we'd accepted the 2018 deal.

View attachment 764160

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Haha, any quoting of draft pick points gets that reaction from me - net pick equivalent makes me laugh

The AFL's DVI is a joke.

That's why I've used a modified DVI that aligns to market values from actual pick for pick trades.

It values late picks far lower than the AFL's system does. For example, in the AFL's DVI, pick 5 is the equivalent of 2.4 pick 25s. In the one I've used, pick 5 is the equivalent of 3.6 pick 25s.

The AFL's DVI is a joke.

That's why I've used a modified DVI that aligns to market values from actual pick for pick trades.

It values late picks far lower than the AFL's system does. For example, in the AFL's DVI, pick 5 is the equivalent of 2.4 pick 25s. In the one I've used, pick 5 is the equivalent of 3.6 pick 25s.

as previously stated :rolleyes:

as previously stated :rolleyes:

If people are going to use a DVI it should be based on actual trade data, rather than the salary-based approach that the AFL used to create their disastrous DVI. So this is the best system to compare the values of different draft picks.

The flaw is the AFL's implementation of the idea, not the idea itself. It has merit but the limitations should be made clear.

View attachment 764160

Excel shows you would have been slightly worse off, common sense says 2018 was a much better deal:

You would have then had Kelly who was a top 10 player in the league in 2019

AND you would have had him for minimum wage

AND he wouldn't have cut you up in the final

Back