List Mgmt. #11. Tim Kelly - Welcome to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Duggan has dumped both Fyfe and Cameron on his arse, makes him number one in my book.

Also has more premiership medals than both of them combined.

If Duggan doesn't improve much further and carves out a 200ish game career of solid but not spectacular games I think we'd have done well from that draft.

Would have loved Cockatoo but more than happy with Duggan. Been watching cockatoo and the player he reminds me of, no other than Peter Matera, that pick up and run, lovely. If Geelong were to delist him at the start of this year i would have liked WC to pick him up, ruined by injuries atm, cats are sticking with him so they obviously hold him in high regard.

From memory, I think Gaff used to do that weekly spot on 94.5 so interesting that he’s been replaced

Also Dean Clairs (the announcer) his a weird looking unit, like a real life beavis or butthead, and wtf was that guy outside the studio doing in the background

From memory, I think Gaff used to do that weekly spot on 94.5 so interesting that he’s been replaced

Also Dean Clairs (the announcer) his a weird looking unit, like a real life beavis or butthead, and wtf was that guy outside the studio doing in the background
Yeah, his voice does not match his physique at all. Has a very smooth sophisticated tone but looks like a hillbilly.

A well grounded guy is TK! the guy in the background was doing a NicNat thing, knew he was on camera, looked like a bit like Xavier Ellis?

There's a good article from Schmook going through how Kelly joining the midfield might go.

Van Berlo this week said the Eagles had been trying to give all of their midfielders second positions they can confidently roll through in games. For Kelly, that will be half-forward.
"It has been a lot of planning, but hopefully we've found the right mix," Van Berlo said.
Kelly's outstanding summer, however, points to him doing what several star midfielders before him have done when changing clubs.
Dylan Shiel (Greater Western Sydney to Essendon), Adam Treloar (GWS to Collingwood) and Tom Mitchell (Sydney to Hawthorn) have all lifted their disposal and clearance numbers in their first season at new clubs in recent seasons.

A lot of the narrative seems to be on Kelly under-performing with us at first, like Redden or Jetta. Imagine if it's the other way around? :D

There's a good article from Schmook going through how Kelly joining the midfield might go.

A lot of the narrative seems to be on Kelly under-performing with us at first, like Redden or Jetta. Imagine if it's the other way around? :D
Redden was never anywhere as comparable to Kelly whilst he was at Brisbane. He was able to play a defensive midfield role when he was young which meant he racked up SC points early in his career, and everyone frothed. But he is much more limited and less talented than Kelly. Ditto Wellingham.

Jetta is a pretty unique case who needed to find his niche before he felt confident enough to perform. That was part bad management by the coaches. Can’t really be used as a precedent for Kelly either IMO

This is going to be good for our midfield planning anyway, as all players should have another role they can play if needed. Makes the team much less one-dimensional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redden was never anywhere as comparable to Kelly whilst he was at Brisbane. He was able to play a defensive midfield role when he was young which meant he racked up SC points early in his career, and everyone frothed. But he is much more limited and less talented than Kelly. Ditto Wellingham.

Jetta is a pretty unique case who needed to find his niche before he felt confident enough to perform. That was part bad management by the coaches. Can’t really be used as a precedent for Kelly either IMO

This is going to be good for our midfield planning anyway, as all players should have another role they can play if needed. Makes the team much less one-dimensional

Redden started off slow as he had Hernia OP close to the season but he was a stenglien kind of guy that was to increase our depth but not be the star. Had an awesome finals series in 2018 though.

Jetta we thought would slot in as a wingman over Rosa who we let go to GC. On paper it seemed like a massive upgrade but i feel his game as goal kicking wingman worked well on the smaller SCG but never translated top the bigger grounds we mainly play at. Luckily we got him for a simple swap and turned him into an elite HBF who has also improved our indigenous culture around the club. Massive tick that doesn't get as much attention as it should.

Wellingham was meant to elevate our midfield with some pace and skill....but he was 5th fiddle at Collingwood who had a star midfield so i think that was a bust midfield wise. Was super handy as a HBF and was important to our 2015 run.

Boing!

‘Geez, how has he done that?’
8bc3af87ee2514624fae262b79c19903

Liam Twomey
Sam Landsberger
Former Geelong star Tim Kelly has spent his maiden AFL pre-season back home performing solo acts at training that have stunned his new West Coast teammates.

Kelly, 25, exploded into action with 13 third-quarter disposals against Essendon last Thursday night after a subdued opening half at the Eagles’ impressive training base.
“Tim’s fitted in quite well. Hopefully he can do some really special things for us this year and take us to another level,” teammate Elliot Yeo said.
“He’s pretty silky. Some of the stuff he’s been doing at training has taken me back, really. Sometimes you go, ‘Geez, how has he done that?’
“It’s exciting. I’m looking forward to pulling on a West Coast guernsey with him.”
After Brad Hill (St Kilda) and Alex Keath (Western Bulldogs) sparkled in their first outing at their new clubs last week, Kelly showed he, too, was set to make a big impact at a club in premiership mode.
But Kelly could leave a significant hole in the Cats’ onball brigade, given he finished runner-up in the club’s best-and-fairest in both 2018 and 2019.
Kelly also polled 25 Brownlow Medal votes last year, placing fifth in the count won by Nat Fyfe.
Kelly is the only player to average at least 20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, one goal and 20 pressure acts per game across the past two seasons.
Former Hawthorn champion Jordan Lewis noted how players looking to tag Kelly had to be super accountable forward of centre, because he was so damaging in the front half.
Kelly – who cost the Eagles a suite of draft selections, including two first-round picks – booted a running goal in the final term against the Bombers to finish with 100 SuperCoach points.

The problem is we have had such trouble traditionally integrating new recruits into our side, we actually pre empt our supporters now that for the recruit to hit their best it "might take a year or two"

Hopefully Kelly proves to be the exception to the rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Back