Rumour Busted Tim Kelly will be an Eagle next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Gaff almost certain to come home to Victoria. Kelly's family is home sick, he's a West Aussie and the Eagles are a far stronger, more successful club than the Fremantle Dockers, It makes sense. The Eagles have reportedly offered him 1.5 mil a season.

As much as I want him at Geelong for his outstanding talent, I think he's out the cattery and at the Eagles Nest in 2019. I think this guy could win a brownlow if he remains healthy. Would spew if he leaves but that's the game.

Gaff almost certain to come home to Victoria. Kelly's family is home sick, he's a West Aussie and the Eagles are a far stronger, more successful club than the Fremantle Dockers, It makes sense. The Eagles have reportedly offered him 1.5 mil a season.

As much as I want him at Geelong for his outstanding talent, I think he's out the cattery and at the Eagles Nest in 2019. I think this guy could win a brownlow if he remains healthy. Would spew if he leaves but that's the game.

If they had 1.5 a season they would be offering it to Gaff, do you mean over 3 seasons?

What a stupid post^^
If theres 1.5m it'd be getting offered to Gaf (who's no certainty to go back to vic) way before Kelly, He'll probably come home but it'll be for a lot less.

Be happy to take either deal if it meant we had Kelly. I really dont think Gaff will hang around especially given events of the past week so it makes sense. Kelly has been pushing to come home for a while now and of the 2 WA clubs and we have the most to offer both in trade bait and prospects of success.
Im not sure we would offer a 2nd year player 1.5M a season though irrespective of how good he is.

The Eagles are seriously offering Tim Kelly 1.5 mil a season? He's a good player for sure and kicks goals, get touches, and has potential to get a lot more touches but jesus christ he'd be the highest paid player around!

Classic yarn though. Just another example of WA clubs overlooking tried and tested WAFL players. Lobb, McGovern, now Kelly all blokes who played a consistent season or two in the seniors and still didn't get selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who would you get in to replace Gaff?
Not many options out there and I would suggest Kelly is a reasonable (ready made) replacement that 'could want' to play in WA.
Kids got skills.

I'm not averse to bringing in Kelly, just not as a straight swap. Gaff's 8 match ban will be the longest streak of games he has missed in his 8 year career. He's a B&F winner and All Australian and may well make the AA side again this year. Kelly hasn't even played 20 games yet. I wouldn't be selling the farm just to get him in. Good player but Jack Redden is a good player and we were no better with him in 2016/17 than we were in 2015 without.

By all reports, we were keen to take Kelly with a pick in the 20s last year, so trading a pick in the high teens is about right.

In today's world of players dictating where they go, we need to pay him overs to ensure he doesn't pick Fremantle and try to engineer a deal to get there (not that they have anything to trade).

TLDR, Gaff compo pick and $500k a season is about right.

Will be interesting if Gaff decides to stay however.

Seems a pretty obvious trade. Those saying Kelly does not equal Gaff miss the point that Gaff is out of contract and Kelly is in contract.

I think it's been said elsewhere that the Cats would be disappointed to only get about what they paid for Kelly originally given his performances so far (e.g. say pick 19 vs pick 24 isn't that huge upgrade). We do have a habit of trading cheap though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back