Universal Love Tim Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember mentioning Kelly's questionable pace before we drafted him.
(found it ..Post 363 ...in the gfc-2018-player-trading-drafting-fa-rumours-and-wish-lists thread) ...
The highlights I have seen still make it questionable. Still id wait till a real game , on real ground , with 18 per side to put any pegs in the ground. That game looks like glorified circle work on an enlarged grass basketball court ... and he looked good with ball in hand on the right foot if he had time.

I don’t particularly like judging anyone on a format like that modified product we saw last night, but there really isn’t anything else to talk about regarding him and anyone else drafted until we see them in the JLT. We know what we will get from the others.

I am quite sure you did mention it, I am not a draft expert at all, I rely on the postings and quality followings of others to inform me + highlights packages. I was under the impression from all the talk that he had very good outside pace and a lot of X factor about him, this did not appear to be true at all from last night.

So what qualities did we draft him for?? Since I was so far off the mark of understanding him, what are his standout features and abilities??

Geez, I could of written that myself. Exactly my thoughts. Fogarty was more exciting on that performance. Kelly looked okay, was disappointed with his speed, I too thought he was going to be quicker. He doesn't look to be the explosive player I thought we were getting.

Fogarty looks a million dollars. It is rare to find players who have that innate mongrel and hartasment for the ball about them, it really is not something you can actually teach, You either have it or you don’t. He is also very skilled and composed with the ball.

Is a good chance for rnd 1

I like Jakey Kelly as Brian says, tall marking defender with a strong body to boot.
He's a beaut.
As for Tim, l saw an adelaide player with ball in hand just leave him floundering.
Not convinced so far is just another small/medium.

I liked the look of all of our recruits, but I wasn't expecting much from this format.
Kelly looked to have plenty of confidence and backed himself in more often than not (that long goal was a highlight), seemed to use it well and has neat kicking skills. Didn't seem quick as some have already mentioned but it is February and his WAFL highlights show plenty of pace so I'll reserve judgement.

Fogarty looks a gun defensive player, I mentioned it in the AFLX thread that he looks player that you simply can't get around, or balk around, he seems to have great judgement on when and how to tackle and has a bit of poise and skill with ball in hand. I'm VERY excited about this kid.

Gryan didn't get many minutes but looked wily and dangerous around the ball, reminds me so much of Steve Johnson it isn't funny, a strange looking kid who seems to be slow but has an amazing footy IQ and just knows how to get the ball, where it's going and where the goals are better than anyone around him. I have very high hopes for this bloke, I think he has the biggest potential of the 3 we saw last night.

First real vision of Kelly. Looks like some things to work with. Will need 2 preseasons IMO to get to full ability fitness and repeat effort wise.

Good skills - Want to see rest of preseason before making judgement calls.

GO Catters

I remember mentioning Kelly's questionable pace before we drafted him.
(found it ..Post 363 ...in the gfc-2018-player-trading-drafting-fa-rumours-and-wish-lists thread) ...
The highlights I have seen still make it questionable. Still id wait till a real game , on real ground , with 18 per side to put any pegs in the ground. That game looks like glorified circle work on an enlarged grass basketball court ... and he looked good with ball in hand on the right foot if he had time.

He's not there for pace he's there for his ability to work through congestion and make good decisions by foot which i thought he did well tonight. I also really liked his defensive workrate. If we are going to carry Menzel's defensive shortcomings all year (because he kicks goals) having those two applying pressure in the front half will be important.

He's not there for pace he's there for his ability to work through congestion and make good decisions by foot which i thought he did well tonight. I also really liked his defensive workrate. If we are going to carry Menzel's defensive shortcomings all year (because he kicks goals) having those two applying pressure in the front half will be important.

I was definitely mistaken about the attributes and qualities of kelly, I was under the belief from the talk and his highlights that he was an explosive quick player with X factor in him, an excitement package type. Others obviously got the same idea.

What are the main areas we drafted him for?? What are his strengths and what he offers as a player??

I know you followed the draft a bit, so can you elebaroate

I was definitely mistaken about the attributes and qualities of kelly, I was under the belief from the talk and his highlights that he was an explosive quick player with X factor in him, an excitement package type. Others obviously got the same idea.

What are the main areas we drafted him for?? What are his strengths and what he offers as a player??

I know you followed the draft a bit, so can you elebaroate
He’s more of an inside player who should in theory offer more support for Joel and allow Gaz , danger and Duncan the ability to play outiside roles.

That’s my take on it

Ha Ha! I did not see the game. But reading the preceding two posts makes up for it. Keep up the good works.
On the first 2 posts Kelly is a 50% chance!!

From what I saw, I am impressed with Kelly

Pure ..in todays game its almost a need to have the ability inside..so id say tick ... but if you are slow it definitely restricts you. A fast GHS would have played a lot of football for us. Im not sure Kelly is slow , but I dont see blistering speed either. I doubt he is slower than several other senior players so he will have to be selected on his other attributes ..like the ones you have mentioned.

Let me be clear. Far too early to be making any call on him.. my question on his pace was a pre draft observation based on vids and now he is on our list we will get real and tangible data to make our own calls on. As was seen last year with Stewart , early games can be deceiving while players acclimatise to having faster players around them and afl level of football. Having said that , the one bit of play that i was not wrapped in was when he was caught from behind trying to get on to his right foot.

Id say once he gets used to the level , his reactions will quicken and he will appear quicker some of the time. And as Im sure you would know , I highly value finish..so if he can nail a couple of goals , then I totally agree , it counterbalances some short comings.

I don’t particularly like judging anyone on a format like that modified product we saw last night, but there really isn’t anything else to talk about regarding him and anyone else drafted until we see them in the JLT. We know what we will get from the others.

I am quite sure you did mention it, I am not a draft expert at all, I rely on the postings and quality followings of others to inform me + highlights packages. I was under the impression from all the talk that he had very good outside pace and a lot of X factor about him, this did not appear to be true at all from last night.

So what qualities did we draft him for?? Since I was so far off the mark of understanding him, what are his standout features and abilities??

He was rated and would have gone to West Coast so he was no great surprise ..id say his play now age , body and his wafl form contributed to our interest. Menegola showed what we might expect from a good wafl player. He will have to be very good to get the same minutes inside that he did over there.. a tad more opposition for that role on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes - but wouldnt it be lovely for Geel to have some naturally quick players for a change

Every opposition supporters view of Geel - Geelong are slow and vulnerable to pace

Where did you get the impression that Kelly was recruited for pace? He's an inside midfielder that can push up forward.

I thought from posts by others and his highlight package that he was an outside explosive X factor type player with forward flair. I was obviously mistaken, will re evaluate my opinion of him after I get an understanding of what he offers; his abilities and skills since I was so far off the mark.

How did you think him and the other draftees went?? Loved the look of Fogarty for mine.

I don't take much at all from the AFLX games....but one thing stood out to me re Kelly.....he has no left foot AT ALL....I am continually amazed that players who get to this level have zero skills on their non-preferred....that said, Kelly looked ok to me, but not prepared to make judgements on any player based on that format..

Looks a little selfish to me.
There was a passage where he gathered inside 50 and had a teammate ready to accept a handball but he took a few more steps, was tackled and only scrambled a kick toward goal. I'm sure he had a talking to about that.

I thought from posts by others and his highlight package that he was an outside explosive X factor type player with forward flair. I was obviously mistaken, will re evaluate my opinion of him after I get an understanding of what he offers; his abilities and skills since I was so far off the mark.

How did you think him and the other draftees went?? Loved the look of Fogarty for mine.
I only saw the final, but what I saw of Fog I did like. He hunts his opponents both fiercely and cleverly, should be an exciting small forward if he gets much exposure this year.

Tim looked alright. He's got determination and grit on his side and makes good decisions with ball in hand. Definitely a prospect but I'm not yet as sold on him as I was on Stewart in the JLT last year. Hopefully he rises to the occasion when playing real footy.

Didn't get to see Miers I don't think, if he did play the final I didn't notice him.

I only saw the final, but what I saw of Fog I did like. He hunts his opponents both fiercely and cleverly, should be an exciting small forward if he gets much exposure this year.

Tim looked alright. He's got determination and grit on his side and makes good decisions with ball in hand. Definitely a prospect but I'm not yet as sold on him as I was on Stewart in the JLT last year. Hopefully he rises to the occasion when playing real footy.

Didn't get to see Miers I don't think, if he did play the final I didn't notice him.

I thought Miers had some X factor in the tidbit I saw.

But, of course, thee’s absolutely nothing to be gleaned from last night so will have to wait to decide if that call is justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back