Universal Love Tim Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't take much at all from the AFLX games....but one thing stood out to me re Kelly.....he has no left foot AT ALL....I am continually amazed that players who get to this level have zero skills on their non-preferred....that said, Kelly looked ok to me, but not prepared to make judgements on any player based on that format..

Kinda like Motlop and Murdoch.

There was a passage where he gathered inside 50 and had a teammate ready to accept a handball but he took a few more steps, was tackled and only scrambled a kick toward goal. I'm sure he had a talking to about that.
Even his zooper dooper. Never looked like he wanted to pass.

Wow. I was really impressed with the recruits. I would have thought Gaz will well and truly cover what we lost with Motlop and Kelly and Fogarty both really impressed for me.
Kelly was solid, tackles really well and knows what he's doing out there. Positioned himself really well and kicked pretty effectively.
Fogarty was a little overawed in the company but looks a really good kid.
Personally think they will play Kelly in round one and Fogarty may take a little longer. With the likes of Letts Sel Danger, Duncan, Little Sel, Menegola, Parfitt, Cocky and Blitz out there, I think Kelly will really shine and be a terrific link up player.
Very happy
Miers not quite ready, but will also be a good contributor.
Hope to see Constable in the JLT too.

Wow. I was really impressed with the recruits. I would have thought Gaz will well and truly cover what we lost with Motlop and Kelly and Fogarty both really impressed for me.
Kelly was solid, tackles really well and knows what he's doing out there. Positioned himself really well and kicked pretty effectively.
Fogarty was a little overawed in the company but looks a really good kid.
Personally think they will play Kelly in round one and Fogarty may take a little longer. With the likes of Letts Sel Danger, Duncan, Little Sel, Menegola, Parfitt, Cocky and Blitz out there, I think Kelly will really shine and be a terrific link up player.
Very happy
Miers not quite ready, but will also be a good contributor.
Hope to see Constable in the JLT too.
Chook seems unlikely for JLT to me, seeing as he only just recovered from tonsillitis.

Hopefully there's some good exposure in the VFL.

Edit: Aaaand we don't get a VFL broadcast until June. Joy.

I liked the look of all of our recruits, but I wasn't expecting much from this format.
Kelly looked to have plenty of confidence and backed himself in more often than not (that long goal was a highlight), seemed to use it well and has neat kicking skills. Didn't seem quick as some have already mentioned but it is February and his WAFL highlights show plenty of pace so I'll reserve judgement.

Fogarty looks a gun defensive player, I mentioned it in the AFLX thread that he looks player that you simply can't get around, or balk around, he seems to have great judgement on when and how to tackle and has a bit of poise and skill with ball in hand. I'm VERY excited about this kid.

Gryan didn't get many minutes but looked wily and dangerous around the ball, reminds me so much of Steve Johnson it isn't funny, a strange looking kid who seems to be slow but has an amazing footy IQ and just knows how to get the ball, where it's going and where the goals are better than anyone around him. I have very high hopes for this bloke, I think he has the biggest potential of the 3 we saw last night.

Completely agree with this assessment. I have Miers ahead of Fogarty too, purely because he offers more offensively. A very, very smart footballer. I’m excited.

I don't take much at all from the AFLX games....but one thing stood out to me re Kelly.....he has no left foot AT ALL....I am continually amazed that players who get to this level have zero skills on their non-preferred....that said, Kelly looked ok to me, but not prepared to make judgements on any player based on that format..

Agree, but it doesn’t take long to develop. There’s not a lot of one-sided players left tbh.

Looking forward to seeing charlie constable an interesting type of mid/halfback.

And a genuine ball magnet. Regularly recorded 40+ disposals at schoolboy level, and averaged almost 30 disposals per game of the Champs. Not bad for a bloke with a suspect tank.

And a genuine ball magnet. Regularly recorded 40+ disposals at schoolboy level, and averaged almost 30 disposals per game of the Champs. Not bad for a bloke with a suspect tank.

My favourite draftee, wanted Worphel as well but the Hawks swooped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, but it doesn’t take long to develop. There’s not a lot of one-sided players left tbh.

But why is it necessary for them to reach that level before before they see a need to develop it?

It’s a notable failure of the coaching methods in our underage footy.

Players who are good enough to reach AFL level should already have skills both sides before they play their first game.

But why is it necessary for them to reach that level before before they see a need to develop it?

It’s a notable failure of the coaching methods in our underage footy.

Players who are good enough to reach AFL level should already have skills both sides before they play their first game.

Mountain. Molehill.

Mountain. Molehill.

Cant agree...these are professional footballers with many years coaching and game experience behind them, way before reaching AFL level. Not able to use the non-preferred is a liability which was clearly exposed in one passage of play in the AFLX game where Kelly was forced on to his left and couldn't dispose of the ball by foot with even a modicum of effectiveness.....good defenders will expose it, particularly in this day and age where defense is far more concentrated than even the las5 5-10 years.

Cataholic was right when he said its a notable failure of coaching methods in underage footy. For it to reach senior level is an indictment on those who coached and developed the players in question. They dont have to be, say, Buddha Hocking level of skill on non-preferred, but having at least the ability to dispose of the ball by foot by the non preferred should be a pre-requisite.

If Kelly had a left foot he'd have a 100 games up somewhere else most likely in the West.

LOL..you might be right there ypo....:)

I wouldn't recruit a guy with zero non-preferred skills...good thing I'm not a recruiter I guess

I didnt see the game - however i dont think no left foot is that big a deal

Reading the comments - ( and it is early days ) his lack of pace was the downer for me - and also Geelong Crazy ( who is normally very upbeat about anything about the Cats ) he thought his debut was a bit of a let down

When Tom Hafey was coaching those great flag winning Richmond teams ( and i know the game has changed and all the rest of it ) however at training he actually banned kicking on your non natural foot - he liked them to get properly balanced and kick long on their natural leg - Kevin Bartlett - when did he ever kick left foot ?

Mark Bairstow was a very good player ( not overly quick ) when did he ever kick on his left foot - i cant recall him once in a game kicking on his left foot

Reading the comments - ( and it is early days ) his lack of pace was the downer for me - and also Geelong Crazy ( who is normally very upbeat about anything about the Cats ) he thought his debut was a bit of a let down

When Tom Hafey was coaching those great flag winning Richmond teams ( and i know the game has changed and all the rest of it ) however at training he actually banned kicking on your non natural foot - he liked them to get properly balanced and kick long on their natural leg - Kevin Bartlett - when did he ever kick left foot ?

Mark Bairstow was a very good player ( not overly quick ) when did he ever kick on his left foot - i cant recall him once in a game kicking on his left foot
I would imagine the biggest danger isn't just that he doesn't have much of a left foot, or whether or not he can adjust to open up his right side.

The danger is if a playing career at the lower levels with more time and space has caused him to become comfortable in some bad habits where he might take too long to adjust or ready himself. At AFL level that can be damning, it did seem to get him into trouble at AFLX sometimes. I'm not yet too worried, just something to keep an eye out for and see where he goes from here.

We should get a very good look at him in a couple of weeks time in the JLT series.

When you get drafted as a mature age player with an early pick (1-2rnd), there is an expectation of immediate impact at senior level in the best 22.

If he can get his 15-20 touches on average a game this season, then it will be a success.

The perfect nature age recruit career development and trajectory expectation for me is Paul Puopolo; came in around Kelly’s age, held his spot and played a role to begin with, the slowly developed and incremented on his craft and became one of the games best small forwards.

On a very positive; you should get excited about fogarty, the kid will be a long term elite small for Geelong!!

He has a very rare combination of tough nuggety like traits and an edge to him much like max rookie and Chappy, then he also has very silky skills and decision making.

Watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back