Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

If gaff leaves it wont be for money it will be to go home.
Thats 100% Correct , But the Club he chooses would be still throwing good money at him to leave without having to trade
Just unfortunate for WC the 3 boys have become free agents in a year where the eagles are flying.

Personally i thing Gaff will leave but Lycett & McGovern will stay

I honestly think WC will move heaven and earth to match Gaff's offers.
I have a feeling he'll end up at a Melbourne club but it will involve Kelly.
Something like;
WC give Gaff and get Kelly plus picks
Geel give Kelly and get picks
3rd party club gives picks and gets Gaff

You could be right but unless Gaff comes to us we will probably want players from a 3rd club not picks.

As much as I'd love Gaff to come Geelongwith a trade of Kelly back to the West... I think there bugger all chance him coming to Geelong.. .

Tim Kelly’s long-term future at Geelong still undecided as West Australian state clubs circle
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
June 29, 2018 8:00pm
Subscriber only
WEST Coast and Fremantle are aggressively pursuing Geelong midfielder Tim Kelly as he ponders his ongoing future at the Cats.

His manager Anthony Van Der Wielen admitted homesickness was a continuing issue for the Kelly family.

He and his partner Caitlin have three children under 30 months, with their families only able to see their grandchildren sporadically.

FUTURE: CATS KEEN TO EXTEND KELLY, WARY OF RIVALS

RULES: STARTING POINTS CAN MAKE GAME GREAT AGAIN

NOONGAR: GLIMPSES OF KRAKOUER IN CAT KELLY

Geelong has told Kelly it will put a long-term offer in front of him past his initial deal to the end of 2019.

Yet the Cats might also have to decide at some stage whether a trade home would maximise their investment given he is out of contract next year.

Van Der Wielen conceded it was a possibility on “humanitarian” grounds given the couple’s lack of family support in Geelong.

aa37e9a77538b8bd0294ee3af1b91002

Tim Kelly takes a mark against Essendon. Picture: Michael Klein
Geelong secured him ahead of the two West Australian clubs with pick 24 in last year’s draft, but would much prefer for him to settle long-term in the city.

“Both Perth clubs are interested. They are banging down the door but I have told them we don’t want to get into any discussions with them,’’ Van Der Wielen said.

“The family thing is definitely an issue but hopefully the will learn to warm to Geelong.

“Geelong have made it crystal clear they don’t want to trade him under any circumstances but they have also said we understand it from a humanitarian side.

“They got (Patrick) Dangerfield to Geelong because of it and they understand it from both sides. They have said they aren’t putting pressure on him.”

“They are prepared to put a good contract in front of him if he wants to sign on. But if they need to back off and give him some time that’s what they will do.”

2eb6b50bb73daac42de1c2b6fd18a809

Geelong's Tim Kelly. Picture: Michael Klein
f586405c0282f428276ca120cdd5a4eb

Carlton's Marc Murphy. Picture: Michael Klein
It would take an exceptional deal for the Cats to even consider a trade, given his superb form and delivery to Geelong’s leading forwards.

But if he did leave the Cats an immediate replacement might be Carlton captain Marc Murphy, considering his free agency rights.

Some senior Cats believe Murphy would help a club clearly in the premiership window and allow Patrick Dangerfield to play as a forward even more.

Geelong clearly needs to improve its ruck stocks despite Rhys Stanley’s strong form last week, with both him and Zac Smith out of contract.

Some Geelong fans have held out hope they could lure Cobden ruckman Sean Darcy back from Fremantle, but he is contracted until 2020.

Daniel Menzel returns through the VFL this weekend after a lingering groin issue and will be desperate to finish the season strongly after receiving only a one-year extension last year

Lots of talk about him being desperate to return to WA. Pick 24 last year, what's he worth now.

Darcy from Freo would be a shout. Darcy would need a few games this year to just demonstrate his worth again but came into the scene with a bang last year as a first year ruckman.

I know you won’t agree but I’d argue the steak knives would need to come from Geelongs side purely based on Darcy being younger and in the position of ruckman.

Darcy contracted to 2020 where as Kelly contracted to 2019.

But if I was Geelong I’d target Gaff and Lycett through free agency which gives Eagles a pick and seek that back for Kelly.

Darcy from Freo would be a shout. Darcy would need a few games this year to just demonstrate his worth again but came into the scene with a bang last year as a first year ruckman.

I know you won’t agree but I’d argue the steak knives would need to come from Geelongs side purely based on Darcy being younger and in the position of ruckman.

But if I was Geelong I’d target Gaff and Lycett through free agency which gives Eagles a pick and seek that back for Kelly.

Haha, wow. Pretty sure they could pick up a ruckman who can't get a game for less than Tim Kelly and some extras.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Darcy but his not a established player so we would want a pick as well. Maybe a late 2nd round

I like Darcy but his not a established player so we would want a pick as well. Maybe a late 2nd round

Upgrades one way or the other depending on who can drive the bargain the hardest but both clubs don’t have 2nd rounders so future exchanges probably required.

Lycett and 20 for Kelly. Would be a s**t deal for West Coast

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Depends. If the best we could get for Lycett otherwise was band 3 compo, that’s a pick in the mid 30s rather than pick 20. We might match that but we wouldn’t get a huge improvement on the return via trade.

I’d rather (in this theoretical example where the cats are over-paying Lycett so that we won’t match it) to get pick 20 and then swap if for Kelly.

Upgrades one way or the other depending on who can drive the bargain the hardest but both clubs don’t have 2nd rounders so future exchanges probably required.
Both clubs could trade future picks as well? I admit about couple of months ago I thought he will stay but now I think he will leave. Look I think we should ask him now, do you want to leave. If it is a yes let's organise a deal now, if his not really sure then let's talk in 12 months time. But I hope he stays at Geelong as he is easily in our best 10 players. And his value to Geelong is greatly high.

Depends. If the best we could get for Lycett otherwise was band 3 compo, that’s a pick in the mid 30s rather than pick 20. We might match that but we wouldn’t get a huge improvement on the return via trade.

I’d rather (in this theoretical example where the cats are over-paying Lycett so that we won’t match it) to get pick 20 and then swap if for Kelly.
Just a question? So you saying Geelong get Lycett with a free trade. You get a compo pick for it ( so you say get pick 20 from it) and you give us pick 20 for Kelly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back