Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is a dead set gun for a team in contention. I would swap my first rounder for him easily. If we were building and had a very young team, I'd keep my first round draft pick.

If he keeps playing like he is currently then I'd give it up anyway - even with a young side. What are the chances of drafting a player of the quality of Kelly (providing he keeps up this form)?

If he keeps playing like he is currently then I'd give it up anyway - even with a young side. What are the chances of drafting a player of the quality of Kelly (providing he keeps up this form)?
The only thing we don't know is how he would go with a tag. In a team with Danger, Selwood and Ablett he is left to roam on his own creating havoc. Being the number one man in the midfield in a young team would make him the chief opposition target and I'm not sure how he'd go in that situation.

Love watching this guy play, god he’s exciting. Surely he stays at the catters.
Fingers crossed he and his family are content by the end of next year when his contract is up and he recommits. Our midfield hasn't missed a beat since Dangerfield moved predominately forward thanks to this bloke stepping up. Love the way he glides around the field as well.

The only thing we don't know is how he would go with a tag. In a team with Danger, Selwood and Ablett he is left to roam on his own creating havoc. Being the number one man in the midfield in a young team would make him the chief opposition target and I'm not sure how he'd go in that situation.
Wouldn't be the number one mid at the Eagles or Dockers.

A lot can be said of learning your game at the lower levels. He probably got tagged last season..

No the point you are missing he is not a burning boat. Your analogy is flawed. A boat burns ..its now no good ..it can not sail or float.. TimK is a footballer who at the end of 2019 will be not unlike many a player coming out of contract who is still traded for reasonable comp.I know he is not owned.. Your analogy is about ownership and mortgages .. hardly less about ownership or purchases than anything I have typed.

If he asks to leave its not over. Geelong has well earned rep but it will not trade a contracted player just for the sake of it.. ask Tom Gillies. It would have to be an extreme case for Geelong to do self harm to trade a contracted player. The "value" will be set by what we are willing to take not the other way around.

Josh Caddy

Josh Caddy

I think you'll find we were quite happy to move him on. It gave us salary cap relief and he had been pushed out of our midfield after the arrival of Danger, Scooter and Menegola. He was being played purely as a half forward. We got a reasonable pick and drafted Parfiitt, who looks like he will be a player. Caddy was very inconsistent at Geelong, something he admitted himself and to his credit he has played some great footy so far with Richmond. This trade has win-win written all over it for everyone.

Fingers crossed he and his family are content by the end of next year when his contract is up and he recommits. Our midfield hasn't missed a beat since Dangerfield moved predominately forward thanks to this bloke stepping up. Love the way he glides around the field as well.
Why is Danger playing mostly forward? Saving his energy for the finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Danger playing mostly forward? Saving his energy for the finals?
I think he had some back troubles which contributed a bit to his highly documented hamstring troubles late in the preseason. Scott alluded to him playing sore a couple of weeks ago, so I think they're just managing his workload at the moment.

That is certainly doing the rounds at the moment, it may well be true given their circumstances, but it may well be garbage also..

As someone with a 19 month old who palms her off to both sets of parents multiple times a week I would think the assertion is most likely true.
Much easier with the grandparents assisting so I can imagine the wifey in his ear saying she wants to head back west.

Also makes me happy that McGov is due a baby very soon - will get his wife on his ass when it comes to the decision to head east or not.

As someone with a 19 month old who palms her off to both sets of parents multiple times a week I would think the assertion is most likely true.
Much easier with the grandparents assisting so I can imagine the wifey in his ear saying she wants to head back west.

Also makes me happy that McGov is due a baby very soon - will get his wife on his ass when it comes to the decision to head east or not.

All well and good but she may have to be patient and wait till the end of next year.

On a side note but potentially related if the Cats were interested in Gaff how would they go fitting him in their salary cap?

Would they need to shed some players?

On a side note but potentially related if the Cats were interested in Gaff how would they go fitting him in their salary cap?

Would they need to shed some players?

I rate Gaff, but I wouldn't think he'd be high on our priority list given how much he'd cost both financially and possibly trade-wise given WC may match a free agency bid. We are desperately in need of a ruck first and foremost. Our current ruck division is shocking. A KPD would be my next priority. But in the unlikely event we opted to pursue Gaff, guys like Guthrie, Stanley and a few other fringe types could be moved on to clear some cap space.

Yeah look it probably is true but Kelly and his partner would have known this was likely to happen when he nominated for the draft. Cats were very keen pre-draft and Kelly obviously told us they were happy enough to make the move in order for Tim to finally get his chance. He may well ask to be traded but it's likely he will be held until the completion of his contract at the end of 2019, and I don't blame Geelong for that.

I could see someone like Cam Guthrie being moved on if they had to create some space.
Moved on to where though? He'd probably fetch a mid 30s pick at best from Carlton or St Kilda, who are desperate for midfield experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back