Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pies paid big $$$ for Ball, enough to stop other clubs picking him before pick 30 and I’m not sure Eagles will adopt the same strategy cap wise.
I don't have time to tell you how wrong you are, but it's going to bug me if I don't.

Luke Ball was a St Kilda captain, best and fairest winner and All Australian player. He had a body of work in the AFL behind him. After a suitable trade couldn't be made, he was passed up by some clubs twice on the way to pick 30. Yes you heard right. Pick 30.

So please enlighten me why Fremantle will pick up a player that doesn't want to play for their club, won't even talk to them and won't do a medical for them? Then they will draft a player on a long term contract and multi million dollar deal with their first round draft pick which is likely to be a top 10 draft pick? Yet Luke Ball gets passed on by a multitude Melbourne clubs on his way to pick 30?

I don't have time to tell you how wrong you are, but it's going to bug me if I don't.

Luke Ball was a St Kilda captain, best and fairest winner and All Australian player. He had a body of work in the AFL behind him. After a suitable trade couldn't be made, he was passed up by some clubs twice on the way to pick 30. Yes you heard right. Pick 30.

So please enlighten me why Fremantle will pick up a player that doesn't want to play for their club, won't even talk to them and won't do a medical for them? Then they will draft a player on a long term contract and multi million dollar deal with their first round draft pick which is likely to be a top 10 draft pick? Yet Luke Ball gets passed on by a multitude Melbourne clubs on his way to pick 30?
Settle down pal. I’m not saying he will be definitely be scooped up by Freo, I’m just saying don’t convince yourself this is gonna go the way you believe it will. Curveballs happen, nothing is certain. Luke Ball was at the end of his career, Kelly is at the beginning. Many would argue Kelly’s body of work over one season was pretty damn impressive. If he is as good as you and your club think he is, then don’t kid yourself that FREO won’t snap him up just because he refuses to talk with them. And it’s a fair bet he’s medically fit if the Eagles are so keen on him. If Freo begin to improve with a few recruits, don’t think that Kelly wont enjoy playing there either. Let’s wait and see what happens in 12 months.

Dunno if he can afford to mentally check out that soon.

He's a professional, first and foremost. And how do you think West Coast's offer next year would go if he had a down year?

If his next deal is a 5 year deal, it'll be one of his last contracts. He'll be looking to increase his value next year and maximise the dollars.

Kelly won't check out given he's only on a draftee contract match payments will make up a significant portion of his income next season .

Kelly won't check out given he's only on a draftee contract match payments will make up a significant portion of his income next season .
Another excellent point.

"Nah, I'm gonna turn down $100k in match payments because Geelong held me to a contract"

Settle down pal. I’m not saying he will be definitely be scooped up by Freo, I’m just saying don’t convince yourself this is gonna go the way you believe it will. Curveballs happen, nothing is certain. Luke Ball was at the end of his career, Kelly is at the beginning. Many would argue Kelly’s body of work over one season was pretty damn impressive. If he is as good as you and your club think he is, then don’t kid yourself that FREO won’t snap him up just because he refuses to talk with them. And it’s a fair bet he’s medically fit if the Eagles are so keen on him. If Freo begin to improve with a few recruits, don’t think that Kelly wont enjoy playing there either. Let’s wait and see what happens in 12 months.

If Kelly joined the Eagles for he 2020 season he’d be the same age as Ball when he joined the Pies...

To be fair Ball had chronic OP at the time and refused to let any other club do a medical on him which is why he got to Collingwood at 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarryd Lyon stats are on par with Tim Kelly, he got delisted from Gold Coast where they should of requested 2 first round picks instead...
Put a VFL team in the AFL and they'll get pumped every week. I bet you someone still averages 25 touches a game though.

Freo are still right in the chase for Kelly. Peter Bell has met with him following the trade week fiasco and told him he would have drafted him 3 years ago.
I spoke to an extremely close relative of his last Friday and he said most of what was said in the media was BS and he hasn’t ruled out coming to Freo in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freo are still right in the chase for Kelly. Peter Bell has met with him following the trade week fiasco and told him he would have drafted him 3 years ago.
I spoke to an extremely close relative of his last Friday and he said most of what was said in the media was BS and he hasn’t ruled out coming to Freo in 2020.
Except he could have gone to freo but refused and refused to speak to Bellend. His manager is mates with Bell and still couldnt get him to meet him.

He will be an eagle next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Except he could have gone to freo but refused and refused to speak to Bellend. His manager is mates with Bell and still couldnt get him to meet him.

He will be an eagle next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
He may not have a choice if Freo pick him up in the draft

Yeah nah ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can people stop suggesting this like it's a real option? It doesn't happen in modern AFL.
Holding a player to his contract doesn’t happen much in modern AFL either, but Geelong had a right to stand firm & Freo will have a right to take Tim in the draft if it comes to that

Holding a player to his contract doesn’t happen much in modern AFL either, but Geelong had a right to stand firm & Freo will have a right to take Tim in the draft if it comes to that
Carlton held Gibbs to his contract just two years ago. Far more likely than Freo burning a top draft pick on a player who has said he won't go there. Teams don't want players who don't want to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back