Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton held Gibbs to his contract just two years ago. Far more likely than Freo burning a top draft pick on a player who has said he won't go there. Teams don't want players who don't want to be there.
If he goes in the draft, he cannot refuse to go somewhere unless he is prepared to sit out a year. He will not be a free agent. He cannot choose which club he plays for unless a trade is done.

Holding a player to his contract doesn’t happen much in modern AFL either, but Geelong had a right to stand firm & Freo will have a right to take Tim in the draft if it comes to that

It won’t come to that. If he hasn’t changed his mind about moving in October 2019, the clubs will work out a deal. Neither has a reputation for being idiotically stubborn, and both were respectful in their comments on the other when the deal didn’t go through.

It’s only the fans who are at each other’s throats.

It won’t come to that. If he hasn’t changed his mind about moving in October 2019, the clubs will work out a deal. Neither has a reputation for being idiotically stubborn, and both were respectful in their comments on the other when the deal didn’t go through.

It’s only the fans who are at each other’s throats.
FWIW, I agree with you a trade will get done. It is in the interest of all three parties. I am just saying to the other poster that if he were to go into the draft, there are no guarantees he will get to his club of choice.

If he goes in the draft, he cannot refuse to go somewhere unless he is prepared to sit out a year. He will not be a free agent. He cannot choose which club he plays for unless a trade is done.
Yes, yes, I understand the letter of the law. I'm saying it doesn't, and won't, happen. So people need to stop talking about it like it's a plausible scenario.

Yes, yes, I understand the letter of the law. I'm saying it doesn't, and won't, happen. So people need to stop talking about it like it's a plausible scenario.

Lol! Righto......Geelong clearly didn’t get your memo last year Mr McLachlan

Last edited:
Lol! Righto......Geelong clearly didn’t get your memo last year Mr McLachlan

He’s actually saying exactly what you said in your reply to me - all the talk of Kelly going into the draft is theoretical because it won’t actually happen.

Are you seriously comparing initial draftees with all other players? Because I haven't seen a player forced to a club they didn't want to go to since Nick Stevens, almost 20 years ago.
I am saying either way it is a draft. Players haven’t got a right to nominate a club in a draft. I suspect the reason the last player was almost 20 yrs ago is because the players know there is no guarantees if they elect to nominate for the draft. It is far safer & better for all involved if there is a trade & I think the clubs will both be fair in getting a trade done

If he is saying it won’t happen because Kelly won’t go into the draft then I apologise. I misunderstood
He almost certainly won't go in the draft, that's not how things are done these days. If by some miracle he does go to the draft, he will almost certainly be at the Eagles because that's how it works these days; clubs won't blow a valuable draft pick on someone who doesn't want to be there, it's bad for the team.

He almost certainly won't go in the draft, that's not how things are done these days. If by some miracle he does go to the draft, he will almost certainly be at the Eagles because that's how it works these days; clubs won't blow a valuable draft pick on someone who doesn't want to be there, it's bad for the team.
Why do any uncontracted players ask for a trade then? Why don’t they all just go in the draft if they are almost guaranteed to get to the club of their choice.

Why do any uncontracted players ask for a trade then? Why don’t they all just go in the draft if they are almost guaranteed to get to the club of their choice.

Because there’s always a risk if they’re only “almost” guaranteed, because they get to start pre-season with their new teammates rather than wait until the end of November, because no club wants to be the one that’s a jerk about it because it’ll come back to bite them ... take your pick.

Because there’s always a risk if they’re only “almost” guaranteed, because they get to start pre-season with their new teammates rather than wait until the end of November, because no club wants to be the one that’s a jerk about it because it’ll come back to bite them ... take your pick.
So, like I said there IS a risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won't get to West Coast for anything worse than pick 10. They'll only work out a deal if West Coast show proper respect and not throw all their scraps in a bucket.

He won't get to West Coast for anything worse than pick 10. They'll only work out a deal if West Coast show proper respect and not throw all their scraps in a bucket.
Yes, yes, you'll get more for him next year when he is uncontracted than you didn't get this year.

West Coast won't have a top 10 pick next year and won't pay a top 10 pick.

Shouldn’t we maybe see how he plays in senior games 24-45 or whatever before we assert what his price will be in 12 months time?

Shouldn’t we maybe see how he plays in senior games 24-45 or whatever before we assert what his price will be in 12 months time?

Hits nail on head.

Tim’s value could go up, up, up, or maybe he hits the blues and it goes down, down, down.

At present he has only a small body of work to be assessed on.

Don't understand where the whole Kelly will turn his back on Geelong argument has come from, has only ever said good things about the club and has been with Perth based Geelong players on a frequent basis during this off-season.

This argument about a player opting for the draft keeps occurring in every possible trade is circular and misses reality.

It almost certainly wont happen is a true statement.

The conclusion that therefore it's irrelevant just isn't. It's the lever the existing club has to get a decent trade. It has real effect on the trade value of OOC contract players.

You can certainly argue it s cutting off your nose to spite your face from the exusting clubs point of view. In the event of not being offerred decent compensation it's probably worth staring down the opposing club though. It's a risk that leads to better compensation in most cases.

FWIW, I agree with you a trade will get done. It is in the interest of all three parties. I am just saying to the other poster that if he were to go into the draft, there are no guarantees he will get to his club of choice.

You make the decisions for Geelong, are you willing to take someone and have him on your list when he has said he doesn’t want to play for you, instead of developing another kid? If you’re willing to bring people who don’t want to play for you, instead of people who do then I’ll leave it at that. 200+ new kids every year to develop, on top of the ones who have already been training for AFL footy, and you’re going fill a spot on your list because you’re determined to get it done against the players wishes.

It’s not a viable option for anyone to take him in the draft. Can it happen, yes. Will it happen, well if you want to go through the exact same situation as what happened this year, then be my guest. You (the team that picks him up) obviously didn’t learn much.

You make the decisions for Geelong, are you willing to take someone and have him on your list when he has said he doesn’t want to play for you, instead of developing another kid? If you’re willing to bring people who don’t want to play for you, instead of people who do then I’ll leave it at that. 200+ new kids every year to develop, on top of the ones who have already been training for AFL footy, and you’re going fill a spot on your list because you’re determined to get it done against the players wishes.

It’s not a viable option for anyone to take him in the draft. Can it happen, yes. Will it happen, well if you want to go through the exact same situation as what happened this year, then be my guest. You (the team that picks him up) obviously didn’t learn much.
So Tim has said he doesn’t want to play for Geelong? I think a lot of that is what some WC supporters want to think. Tim wants to go home because his partner wants to go home. Tim has never bad mouthed GFC as far as I know. If he really disliked GFC, he would be sitting out this year. He likes the club & his teammates. He has been hanging out with Quinton Narkle & Esava Ratugolea in Perth.

Anyway, i’m sure he will get his wish to go to the Eagles by trade next year as his right when he is out of contract

Not sure why everyone thinks west coasts picks are any good. With west, scott, quoynor, thomas and Mcfayden all a strong chance to push those picks to the mid/late 20s.

That fact that no one wanted to swap picks with WC for an earlier pick gives a good idea of the spread with there being very little difference between west coast picks all the way up to 40 in terms of talent.

Dodged a bullet by not getting bent over the draft table. To give up 3 picks for him would've been outrageous.
I agree.Way overs for a 1st year player at the age of 24 at the top level.
Let's see how he goes with more attention from the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back