Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what do we do with Redden? Contracted for another couple of years and playing good footy. It's not like the NBA where we can just say 'right Geelong you can have a pick + Redden/whoever'.

You can make the argument that Kelly is better than him (or anyone in the league as seems to be the case lately) but we're not going to turf Redden to the WAFL and he's not particularly valuable as a half forward.

Right now Geelong are playing great footy with Kelly (and others) playing a lot of time in the centre and Ablett/Dangerfield forward, Selwood on the wing etc. and that's great, but it's also a new structure because Geelong over the last couple of seasons haven't been good enough when it mattered. We won the flag last year and just beat Collingwood with their alleged GOAT midfield, so our structure right now is working fine. Kelly would absolutely add to it, but we're not going to change the whole setup just to accommodate him.

IMO ideally if Kelly joined WC he would start at HF and play a 50/50 midfield role similar to Dangerfield. Masten is 30 this year and a bit s**t, Shuey 29. Kelly would eventually take over their midfield duties. Shuey would be a useful forward if he slows down, Masten will probably just go out of the side. But that's just my opinion on how we should use a player we don't have.
A player of Kelly's quality comes along, you make it happen. During a flag window clubs do whatever they can to improve the list.

Yep Tim Kelly if we get him would be on the Half forward or maybe wing.
I don't think your coach would play a midfielder who gets 9 clearances a game on the wing.

Yep Tim Kelly if we get him would be on the Half forward or maybe wing.

I know you're trying to undersell his value but make no mistake he starts in the middle on the ball. I know you will say who does he kick out but he just goes into the rotation. Be pretty good having Kelly and Shuey rotating through there.

A player of Kelly's quality comes along, you make it happen. During a flag window clubs do whatever they can to improve the list.

No, you don't just make it happen. You inquire and if the price is too high (either salary or trade currency) then you walk away.

Would Geelong have recruited Dangerfield if it cost two top 5 picks and Joel Selwood in his prime? No, didn't think so. Hawthorn baulked at retaining Lance Franklin on the contract he was offered.

We added 7 players via the draft to our 2018 flag side from 2015, traded a late first round pick for Redden, traded Cal Sinclair for Jetta and traded pick 957 for Vardy. No big fish.

I don't think your coach would play a midfielder who gets 9 clearances a game on the wing.

Why not? Yours does. Joel Selwood had 9 or more clearances 3 times last year, 4 times in 2017, 6 times in 2016.

Not particularly ironic. Kelly wanted to return to Perth and join WC, a trade wasn't agreed upon, he remained contracted to Geelong.

If we play Geelong in a GF fantastic, that means we're in a GF! But the 'they didn't want him' (spoken in Dwayne voice) narrative would be a bit nauseating.

Now what would be ironic is if WC beat Geelong in the GF courtesy of a BOG effort from Oscar Allen. Coz you know, we had our chance to get Kelly and wasted that pick 21...

Not particularly ironic. Kelly wanted to return to Perth and join WC, a trade wasn't agreed upon, he remained contracted to Geelong.

If we play Geelong in a GF fantastic, that means we're in a GF! But the 'they didn't want him' (spoken in Dwayne voice) narrative would be a bit nauseating.

Now what would be ironic is if WC beat Geelong in the GF courtesy of a BOG effort from Oscar Allen. Coz you know, we had our chance to get Kelly and wasted that pick 21...
Then you've got your pick after Geelong's to offer them for Kelly.

Deal and contract negotiations are my speciality and I am laughing that people think the negotiations will start from where they finished last November.

What has changed?
- Kelly was going to be paid minimum wages in 2019 so that made Geelong and West Coast want him more from a value and a managing cap space
- Coniglio was not on the maker as a RFA in 2018
- Rioli was only seen as a small forward and there is an expectation he will be doing serious midfield minutes in 2019
- Ross Lyon had had another 12 months at Freo to make them less desirable as a club. Who knows if he will be still in the job come September?
- Caitlin and the family are likely to really dislike living in Corio Bay. It is not just home sickness, their family need grandparents and extended family around them not just $22.50 per hour support workers.
- West Coast will have another season of development with their emerging players. Will they develop? How about Geelongs youngsters?
- West Coast had 2 second rounders lady draft whole this year they hold their own first and second rounders plus Sydney’s second rounder which is looking like it will start with a 2

12 months is a long time in football and a massive time in a deal stalemate. In essence, I would expect negotiations to start from scratch

Other targets will have a massive impact. I think it might have been Monocle who posted that he was hearing a deal with WC first rounder to Essendon and second rounder to Geelong, Parish to Geelong and Kelly to West Coast. Not saying it will happen or that it is right currency but something that changes a lot.

Or if we sink you courtesy of a 35 possession, 3 goal game by Kelly...

Deal and contract negotiations are my speciality and I am laughing that people think the negotiations will start from where they finished last November.

What has changed?
- Kelly was going to be paid minimum wages in 2019 so that made Geelong and West Coast want him more from a value and a managing cap space
- Coniglio was not on the maker as a RFA in 2018
- Rioli was only seen as a small forward and there is an expectation he will be doing serious midfield minutes in 2019
- Ross Lyon had had another 12 months at Freo to make them less desirable as a club. Who knows if he will be still in the job come September?
- Caitlin and the family are likely to really dislike living in Corio Bay. It is not just home sickness, their family need grandparents and extended family around them not just $22.50 per hour support workers.
- West Coast will have another season of development with their emerging players. Will they develop? How about Geelongs youngsters?
- West Coast had 2 second rounders lady draft whole this year they hold their own first and second rounders plus Sydney’s second rounder which is looking like it will start with a 2

12 months is a long time in football and a massive time in a deal stalemate. In essence, I would expect negotiations to start from scratch

Other targets will have a massive impact. I think it might have been Monocle who posted that he was hearing a deal with WC first rounder to Essendon and second rounder to Geelong, Parish to Geelong and Kelly to West Coast. Not saying it will happen or that it is right currency but something that changes a lot.
You're both going to offer him five years at $500,000 a year, it's not that complicated.

Or if we sink you courtesy of a 35 possession, 3 goal game by Kelly...

Not quite the same, but a good result from your end.

No WC fan thinks Geelong got it wrong picking Kelly, or Fogarty before him for that matter. There's a bit of chatter that we made a mistake not taking Kelly at 21 (or presumably 13) even though we are happy with the two players we selected so far, and Ryan at 26. And a bit of chatter about how we should give up whatever Geelong asked for last year.

You're both going to offer him five years at $500,000 a year, it's not that complicated.
Do you seriously think that is the key to unlocking the trade?

First thing will be Tim deciding stay or go. If go, is there a preference. Most Eagles fans were delighted that you extended the tenure of Ross as it will make your period of irrelevance longer. Kelly has already seen through that and unless you pay a Lyon premium, he will choose West Coast. Money will cover a lot of things, including prostitution and joining the Dockers.

Now the difficult part. What will it take to pry him from Geelong! It will be at least a first rounder and probably a second rounder. No need at this point to go into specifics - too far out at this stage to speculate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Kelly is currently the best player in the AFL according to the AFL coaches with 26 of a possible 30 votes from three games. Unless West Coast is giving up their 2019 & 2020 first rounders plus Brander then they can GAGF ;)

Tim Kelly is currently the best player in the AFL according to the AFL coaches with 26 of a possible 30 votes from three games. Unless West Coast is giving up their 2019 & 2020 first rounders plus Brander then they can GAGF ;)
At this rate you'll get both first rounders but no chance they give you Brander as well.

How do you know that

Take a look at Caitlin’s social media. Tim’s cousin is living with them & helping with the kids. She is getting out & about (which she wasn’t doing last year so much) & she actually seems to be mostly enjoying herself. A huge difference from last year. Tim has never once said he is not happy at Geelong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Take a look at Caitlin’s social media. Tim’s cousin is living with them & helping with the kids. She is getting out & about (which she wasn’t doing last year so much) & she actually seems to be mostly enjoying herself. A huge difference from last year. Tim has never once said he is not happy at Geelong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Point needs correcting.

Tim said he loved it at the Geelong Gootball Club and it would be perfect if he could move the club to Perth. I cannot recall him saying he liked living in Geelong.

Yep but if he doesn't want to go anywhere else I guess he can play wafl for WC

Yes because he enjoyed raising 3 kids on a WAFL wage so well the last time.

Point needs correcting.

Tim said he loved it at the Geelong Gootball Club and it would be perfect if he could move the club to Perth. I cannot recall him saying he liked living in Geelong.

All he's saying is that he loves Geelong but theres other benefits for his family in being in Perth. We already knew that.

And what do we do with Redden? Contracted for another couple of years and playing good footy. It's not like the NBA where we can just say 'right Geelong you can have a pick + Redden/whoever'.

You can make the argument that Kelly is better than him (or anyone in the league as seems to be the case lately) but we're not going to turf Redden to the WAFL and he's not particularly valuable as a half forward.

Right now Geelong are playing great footy with Kelly (and others) playing a lot of time in the centre and Ablett/Dangerfield forward, Selwood on the wing etc. and that's great, but it's also a new structure because Geelong over the last couple of seasons haven't been good enough when it mattered. We won the flag last year and just beat Collingwood with their alleged GOAT midfield, so our structure right now is working fine. Kelly would absolutely add to it, but we're not going to change the whole setup just to accommodate him.

IMO ideally if Kelly joined WC he would start at HF and play a 50/50 midfield role similar to Dangerfield. Masten is 30 this year and a bit s**t, Shuey 29. Kelly would eventually take over their midfield duties. Shuey would be a useful forward if he slows down, Masten will probably just go out of the side. But that's just my opinion on how we should use a player we don't have.

I get what you mean but you bring in a better player so you improve your 22 and a good player slides out of the 22 so you improve your depth. The top sides do it a lot.

I don't disagree with your argument but i doubt Kelly will want to come to play fwd.

No, you don't just make it happen. You inquire and if the price is too high (either salary or trade currency) then you walk away.

Would Geelong have recruited Dangerfield if it cost two top 5 picks and Joel Selwood in his prime? No, didn't think so. Hawthorn baulked at retaining Lance Franklin on the contract he was offered.

We added 7 players via the draft to our 2018 flag side from 2015, traded a late first round pick for Redden, traded Cal Sinclair for Jetta and traded pick 957 for Vardy. No big fish.

Why not? Yours does. Joel Selwood had 9 or more clearances 3 times last year, 4 times in 2017, 6 times in 2016.

Geelong have made pretty clear he's playing wing bc he had an interrupted pre season and needs to build fitness towards full games in the midfield. He wont be on a wing come finals nor would Kelly be if he played under Simpson.

I get what you mean but you bring in a better player so you improve your 22 and a good player slides out of the 22 so you improve your depth. The top sides do it a lot.

I don't disagree with your argument but i doubt Kelly will want to come to play fwd.

It's not like we'd stick him in a forward pocket and forget about him, but he did kick a goal a game last year and took more marks inside 50 than any of our mids. He's more valuable getting 20 touches and a goal a game than 30 and none, IMO. Our best return from a mid last year was 14 goals from Yeo. Gaff kicked 12 and Redden kicked 10. Currently we're without Rioli who kicked 28 and played a small amount in the middle and LeCras (retired) who kicked 32 and played none. If Kelly could play a HF/mid role and hit the scoreboard that would benefit our team. Our current setup works just fine but has two 29 year olds and a 30 year old in the mix so won't stay that way forever.

Geelong have made pretty clear he's playing wing bc he had an interrupted pre season and needs to build fitness towards full games in the midfield. He wont be on a wing come finals nor would Kelly be if he played under Simpson.

Time will tell, he'll probably re-sign and this is just hypothetical chatter to pass time. Dangerfield is one of the best clearance players in the comp and is fully fit and playing half of games forward because he's also good at that. Coaches use players differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back