Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would assume Geelong will just accept Freo's offer of two firsts

Since when does the club with the player dictate the players destination?

Why stop at two, maybe they will offer three first rounders. Odd that you still think the bidding is in draft picks. Freo will have to agree with kelly first.

And there are plenty of examples that it works this way. Not many the way you say.

Take a look at Caitlin’s social media. Tim’s cousin is living with them & helping with the kids. She is getting out & about (which she wasn’t doing last year so much) & she actually seems to be mostly enjoying herself. A huge difference from last year. Tim has never once said he is not happy at Geelong.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes and the cousin will dedicate their entire life now helping Kellys till his career ends.

Because you know, the cousin doesn’t have a life of her own.

Since when does the club with the player dictate the players destination?

Why stop at two, maybe they will offer three first rounders. Odd that you still think the bidding is in draft picks. Freo will have to agree with kelly first.

And there are plenty of examples that it works this way. Not many the way you say.

Geelong cant force him to pick Freo but unless Kelly is willing to either a) risk going anywhere or b) can convince WCE to offer whatever Geelong's first request is then he cant really force Geelong to accept whatever scraps WCE might offer either. In reality all of Kelly WCE and Geelong will have to compromise more than they would like to for a deal to get done.

Geelong cant force him to pick Freo but unless Kelly is willing to either a) risk going anywhere or b) can convince WCE to offer whatever Geelong's first request is then he cant really force Geelong to accept whatever scraps WCE might offer either. In reality all of Kelly WCE and Geelong will have to compromise more than they would like to for a deal to get done.

Risk going anywhere? Geelong would just pass on picks it needs to ensure it can get more players before danger Selwood and Ablett retire?

Risk is in majority with Geelong. And of course freo will just offer exponentially more than Eagles will. I mean freo are a basket case as a club but they aren’t that stupid.

Risk going anywhere? Geelong would just pass on picks it needs to ensure it can get more players before danger Selwood and Ablett retire?

Risk is in majority with Geelong. And of course freo will just offer exponentially more than Eagles will. I mean freo are a basket case as a club but they aren’t that stupid.

No offence but ive heard this since 2009-11. Geelong has had massive losses of A grade players since then yet keep playing finals because our recruitment drafting development and culture is first class. Even if we were to lose Kelly for nil we will play finals the next few years i have little doubt of that. There really is very little risk to Geelong from sending Kelly to the draft aside from the PR risk/reputation damage depending on how highly you value that. The risk is much higher for Kelly himself who could potentially end up at any club in the draft and have his professional and personal life screwed up. Much worse for him than Geelong. Which is why i doubt he will want to risk the draft which is why WCE will still have to offer Geelong something decent.

I agree Freo will offer much more $ to Kelly and a better deal to Geelong than WCE. Whether his partner puts aside her issues with Freo or not we will see.

No offence but ive heard this since 2009-11. Geelong has had massive losses of A grade players since then yet keep playing finals because our recruitment drafting development and culture is first class. Even if we were to lose Kelly for nil we will play finals the next few years i have little doubt of that. There really is very little risk to Geelong from sending Kelly to the draft aside from the PR risk/reputation damage depending on how highly you value that. The risk is much higher for Kelly himself who could potentially end up at any club in the draft and have his professional and personal life screwed up. Much worse for him than Geelong. Which is why i doubt he will want to risk the draft which is why WCE will still have to offer Geelong something decent.

I agree Freo will offer much more $ to Kelly and a better deal to Geelong than WCE. Whether his partner puts aside her issues with Freo or not we will see.

No offence but I seriously doubt your club will think “that’s ok, we can pass this on as we are first class”.

I mean really?

Kelly will not end up just at any club given his circumstances. Who will touch a player that doesn’t want to come there? Given sensitivity around restriction of trade, afl will ensure Kelly gets to his club.

WCE will offer something decent. But as it always is with these things, club losing a player always feels inadequately compensated. Especially if picks don’t work out. But should a club take into account the opposition’s ability to draft? I guess with what you said above, give you guys are so first class, we should just offer a first.

In many ways, it’s good for Geelong to stick to their guns as it’s always swings and roundabouts with these things. But every club had been swindled.

But Geelong will not just turn down a first rounder and say a 2nd. Just aim for Sydney being bad this year as we have their 2nd.

Geelong have also won 3 finals in those 7 years, so losing A grade players has had an effect. Tom Stewart made last year's AA side and is 26 this year. The other AA players on the list are Dangerfield (29), Selwood (31), Hawkins (31), Taylor (33), Ablett (35) unless I've missed anyone. It's a bit different to 10 years ago when most years Geelong had a bunch of players in the AA side each year all in their prime. Losing Tim "our best midfielder" Kelly would definitely hurt.

I don't think Kelly will end up in the draft. There's a gap between trade period finishing and the draft. AFAIK there's nothing stopping Geelong/Kelly agreeing to a one year contract for example before it gets to the point of nominating terms and entering the draft. I also don't think Geelong would give away a player potentially worth a first round pick or more for nothing.

No offence but I seriously doubt your club will think “that’s ok, we can pass this on as we are first class”.

I mean really?

Kelly will not end up just at any club given his circumstances. Who will touch a player that doesn’t want to come there? Given sensitivity around restriction of trade, afl will ensure Kelly gets to his club.

WCE will offer something decent. But as it always is with these things, club losing a player always feels inadequately compensated. Especially if picks don’t work out. But should a club take into account the opposition’s ability to draft? I guess with what you said above, give you guys are so first class, we should just offer a first.

In many ways, it’s good for Geelong to stick to their guns as it’s always swings and roundabouts with these things. But every club had been swindled.

But Geelong will not just turn down a first rounder and say a 2nd. Just aim for Sydney being bad this year as we have their 2nd.

You missed my point entirely. Which was you seemed to be arguing Geelong will deal at any price because they will be scared to lose him for nix in the draft. My point was that perceived leverage is irrelevant bc i doubt Kelly will even consider going in the draft because he has far more to lose than Geelong do in that scenario which is true.

Trades almost always involve compromise and Geelong will get less than they want but more than you think they will get IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you think the current best player in the game according to the AFLCA is worth?

So if someone passes him this week on the leaderboard, does that mean his value also drops as a result?

In which case you might get an answer on Tuesday ;)

I love me a good tale. You seem to have so much insider knowledge, tell us what Gryan Miers has for breakfast tomorrow.

Inside knowledge that Kelly's wife wasn't happy last season?

Like really!? Do you live under a rock?

There's this new thing called 'social media'. Its been around for a little while now. Maybe you've heard about it?

Oh, and also another thing called the mainstream media. They report on things in other places and people. They even interveiw people, ask questions and quote them.

Go type in Caitlin Miller name using Google. Have you heard of Google?

Even easier go to your own Big Footy page and read through what all your fellow Cats supporters had to say about the issue.

Try again..................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back