Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More worrying though would be Chris Scott's assessment of the midfield contest post game. He seemed to concede they were outclassed by Taranto, Hopper,, Coniglio and Josh Kelly.

That really surprised me with theur midfield including Joel Selwood, Dangerfield, Tim Kelly and GAJ still an option.

Danger had a very quiet day being minded by De Boer, Kelly seemed less than 100%, and those Giants players really turned it on, no shame in that.

Danger had a very quiet day being minded by De Boer, Kelly seemed less than 100%, and those Giants players really turned it on, no shame in that.
It was a very close game, GAJ threatened to turn it a couple of times. I was just a biy surprised at Chris Scott's statement. Maybe he was just trying to light a fire under your guys.

Hypothetically, if TK walks on geelong at season end without trade, thoughts on what happen? would Geelong go again for him in the draft? Would Freo or another club or would he slide to WCE?

Hypothetically, if TK walks on geelong at season end without trade, thoughts on what happen? would Geelong go again for him in the draft? Would Freo or another club or would he slide to WCE?
Geelong wouldn't risk going for him again. He'd likely be drafted by Freo or West Coast, unless someone like the Hawks are confident enough in retaining him (they have strong indigenous background and good support network, wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen).

More likely that West Coast hands over their 1st plus a player like Venables, Nelson, Cole, etc. and is done with it

Freo in the draft but i doubt it gets to that stage. A trade will get done imo.

It was a very close game, GAJ threatened to turn it a couple of times. I was just a biy surprised at Chris Scott's statement. Maybe he was just trying to light a fire under your guys.
if I'm honest, the Giants should have won by more. They pretty much dominated after quarter time and Geelong had no answers.

More worrying though would be Chris Scott's assessment of the midfield contest post game. He seemed to concede they were outclassed by Taranto, Hopper,, Coniglio and Josh Kelly.

That really surprised me with theur midfield including Joel Selwood, Dangerfield, Tim Kelly and GAJ still an option.

Selwood and GAJ have their best football behind them versus the GWS mids who are moving into their prime.

Same goes for the Pies and their midfield. On paper it sounds unstoppable but in reality Pendlebury, Sidebittom and Beams are no spring chickens. Sure at times they will peak and dominate but the modern game is a younger mans game especially for mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had 17 touches and a goal in last year's prelim.

I mean he sucks, obviously. But he's also not a 24 year old midfielder.
Geelong just don't want Venables , they already has Constable who is better and younger than Venables .

Here's what I reckon will transpire if he doesn't re-sign with Geelong.

Eagles finish top 4 - earn pick 14ish
Dockers finish bottom 5 - earn Pick 5ish

Cats ask for first rounder plus more.

WCE say have our 1st.

Dockers come in and try their luck.

Tim Kelly says I'm only going to the Eagles.

Eagles say have our 1st.

Cats ask for more.

Eagles say no because if Kelly goes to the draft we'll pick him up for that anyhow.

Dockers won't use a top 5 pick in the draft for him.

Cats begrudgingly take Eagles first offer, Kelly off to the Eagles.

Cats board goes into meltdown.
As someone that follows a club that has seen out of contract players do exactly this , nominate a club and get there for unders I think you are actually right. It’s modern football and Geelong have benefited as much as any club in the league

As someone that follows a club that has seen out of contract players do exactly this , nominate a club and get there for unders I think you are actually right. It’s modern football and Geelong have benefited as much as any club in the league
Presuming that Freo don't put up their first round for him, pick WCE just need to offer something lower than Freo's second pick.

Live trading of picks on draft day makes it interesting though and very risky.

It assumes that no one will draft him before WCoast... or that Freo cant trade for another pick before WC R1 but I agree that players usually get to where they want to get. I think some sort of trade is worked out and in nearly most cases the trade relies on clubs wanting the system to work .. cause you are right.. modern football see the players have a lot of hand .. no clubs want to see their players go back into a draft as a normal option.. and the afl's system know that they must try to keep OOC players happy.

Presuming that Freo don't put up their first round for him, pick WCE just need to offer something lower than Freo's second pick.

Id say its likely its a blend of picks going in and out that makes it less transparent about what the trade was..

It assumes that no one will draft him before WCoast... or that Freo cant trade for another pick before WC R1 but I agree that players usually get to where they want to get. I think some sort of trade is worked out and in nearly most cases the trade relies on clubs wanting the system to work .. cause you are right.. modern football see the players have a lot of hand .. no clubs want to see their players go back into a draft as a normal option.. and the afl's system know that they must try to keep OOC players happy.
Agree to an extent that players generally get to where they want to go . In Kellys case Freo will pay $800ooo . WestCoast tabled 500ooo before confirming Gaff resigning and possibly McGovern . So Fremantle will quickly become his desired destination when it boils down . WestCoast may be able to squeeze $600ooo a year , but just like Lycett left for more $ . $200ooo a year I think . Kelly will do the same and take the money.

Agree to an extent that players generally get to where they want to go . In Kellys case Freo will pay $800ooo . WestCoast tabled 500ooo before confirming Gaff resigning and possibly McGovern . So Fremantle will quickly become his desired destination when it boils down . WestCoast may be able to squeeze $600ooo a year , but just like Lycett left for more $ . $200ooo a year I think . Kelly will do the same and take the money.
How you know Fremantle will pay $800k ..

Your second part is why Kelly wont risk nominating for the draft and why a trade will get done (probably for less than Geelong want but more than WCE want to give up). It was a lot easier to nominate for the draft to try and get to a specific destination when a player knew which clubs had which picks. Live trading changes that equation a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back