Uncontracted Tim Kelly

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sydney traded 13 for 26 and 28. As I posted recently if a team is bidding in the first round the points value of picks comes into play massively.

Ignoring points bidding I would say most teams wouldn't do 20 + 22 for 9 in most drafts. We once did 6 for 11 & 31 so different teams have different motivations depending on the draft.

Adelaide did 10 -> 14 for 47 -> 35 in 2014. Closest trade I can think of is the Bulldogs trading pick 11 and a future 3rd for picks 20 and 21 in 2015. So 9 for 20 + 22 isn't wildly outside the realms of possibility, but it's not a given. IMO 9/10 is about equal to 15 + 25. You're probably better off on draft day with 15 and 25 but 9/10 holds more value as an asset.
Ironically in both of those trades the player taken later has turned out to have the better career so far

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Drafting is and always will be an inexact science. Only on BigFooty will you find people arguing that picks in the 20s are worthless when discussing a player drafted at pick 24...
West Coast and Adelaide also IDed their men in both of those drafts, I believe, and knew they'd slide.

AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast and Adelaide also IDed their men in both of those drafts, I believe, and knew they'd slide.
No idea about Lever but yeah we were pretty keen on Sheed (pick 11, first WA player chosen) and wanted a second round pick to trade for Yeo. Given we ended up trading 28 and using 31 on Karpany it was a bit of a non event. I'd take Sheed over all the players chosen 6-10 and I don't think there was any chance of Josh Kelly or Bontempelli going that late... ended up being a big period for us adding Sheed, Barrass, Yeo and upgrading McGovern to the senior list. A better return than 2007 when we had 3, 13, 20, 22. Swings and roundabouts.

AFL Club
West Coast
Only facts we have is eagles fans were wrong last year on how it would play out and geelong fans were right. Eagles fans were wrong on how good he would be this year and geelong fans were right.

Lets keep listening to eagles fans.
Hahaha and how do Geelong fans think it will pan out this year?

AFL Club
West Coast
Um yeh that's because the argument was about whether to pay for a FA or not.

Dangerfield trade has nothing to do with this as the GFC are the only club to trade for a RFA. If Danger was not a FA we would have had to cough up double to what we did.

TK will be worth 2 x R1 picks forming the basis of the trade. It's about as certain as gravity. If you think otherwise, prepare for major disappointment.
Here we go again. You traded for him because you couldn’t get him as a FA due to money involved.

What someone is worth has some value. Leverage has more value.

Why would any WA team give up 2x 1st rounders? Not like there are 7 other clubs ready to pounce.

AFL Club
Geelong
Here we go again. You traded for him because you couldn’t get him as a FA due to money involved.

What someone is worth has some value. Leverage has more value.

Why would any WA team give up 2x 1st rounders? Not like there are 7 other clubs ready to pounce.
Couldnt and didnt want to are not the same thing.

WCE wont get Kelly for less than 2 R1s.

Top Bottom