Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Round Table: Just how much is Geelong star Tim Kelly worth?
play
Roughead's attitude exemplary - O'Meara (0:57)
14 May, 2019
  • Niall Seewang, Jake Michaels and Matt Walsh
Our AFL experts Niall Seewang, Jake Michaels and Matt Walsh dissect all of the main talking points ahead of Round 9.
What is Tim Kelly worth?
NS: In dollar terms, $1 million per year, at least. On the trade table, two early first-round picks. The Bombers paid two first rounders for Dylan Shiel -- with the Giants' second-round pick heading back to the Dons -- so Kelly has to be worth more because he's now one of the top handful of players in the league. If he did seek a return to Western Australia, the Dockers and Eagles should throw everything at this remarkable second-year player.

ADVERTISEMENT

JM: With every game he plays, Kelly seems to go up in value. If I was in charge of Geelong, West Coast or Fremantle -- or any other club in the league for that matter -- I'd be very comfortable making him a one-million-dollar-per-season-man. Yes, he's already 24, but remember he's only played 31 games and probably has more upside than just about any other player out there. That's really scary!
MW: Whatever a club will pay him is the cop-out answer! In terms of picks, Shiel is the benchmark and any club sniffing around the Cattery will need to be prepared to part with one very high or two first rounders in order to facilitate a trade with the Cats. At his best he is a top five player in the competition and his consistency is getting better in his second season. In terms of cash, $1 million isn't out of the question

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...le-just-how-much-geelong-star-tim-kelly-worth

AFL Round Table: Just how much is Geelong star Tim Kelly worth?
play
Roughead's attitude exemplary - O'Meara (0:57)
14 May, 2019
  • Niall Seewang, Jake Michaels and Matt Walsh
Our AFL experts Niall Seewang, Jake Michaels and Matt Walsh dissect all of the main talking points ahead of Round 9.
What is Tim Kelly worth?
NS: In dollar terms, $1 million per year, at least. On the trade table, two early first-round picks. The Bombers paid two first rounders for Dylan Shiel -- with the Giants' second-round pick heading back to the Dons -- so Kelly has to be worth more because he's now one of the top handful of players in the league. If he did seek a return to Western Australia, the Dockers and Eagles should throw everything at this remarkable second-year player.

ADVERTISEMENT

JM: With every game he plays, Kelly seems to go up in value. If I was in charge of Geelong, West Coast or Fremantle -- or any other club in the league for that matter -- I'd be very comfortable making him a one-million-dollar-per-season-man. Yes, he's already 24, but remember he's only played 31 games and probably has more upside than just about any other player out there. That's really scary!
MW: Whatever a club will pay him is the cop-out answer! In terms of picks, Shiel is the benchmark and any club sniffing around the Cattery will need to be prepared to part with one very high or two first rounders in order to facilitate a trade with the Cats. At his best he is a top five player in the competition and his consistency is getting better in his second season. In terms of cash, $1 million isn't out of the question

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...le-just-how-much-geelong-star-tim-kelly-worth

But, but but, Scotland thinks otherwise so it must be wrong...

But, but but, Scotland thinks otherwise so it must be wrong...

Reckon that’s a bit harsh mate, Scotland has a view and he has provided it on numerous occasions. It doesn’t mean he is right it’s just his view. Every trade is different, some go for more than player worth some don’t.
Bottom line is until TK says I want to come home and go to West Coast then it’s all irrelevant.
But make no mistake if he does the Eagles will do what’s required to get him.

Reckon that’s a bit harsh mate, Scotland has a view and he has provided it on numerous occasions. It doesn’t mean he is right it’s just his view. Every trade is different, some go for more than player worth some don’t.
Bottom line is until TK says I want to come home and go to West Coast then it’s all irrelevant.

You didnt do what was required last year i dont know why you would assume your club will this year.

Currently I have him as a top 10 midfielder, absolutely no chance he goes for less than Eagles' 2 1st rounders. Would be #1 mid at eagles, probably # 1 mid at pies as well

Currently I have him as a top 10 midfielder, absolutely no chance he goes for less than Eagles' 2 1st rounders. Would be #1 mid at eagles, probably # 1 mid at pies as well
Does anyone actually watch him play? He's an absolute ******* butcher when it comes to kicking the ball.

I should hope so... it seems like he has been left at the alter a bit ..

Id expect by july , if TK has not signed then there will be a call made for coffee and cake and sitdown ... to try to determine "what is required".. to try to get a bit of preplan happening so it happens smoothly.

Does anyone actually watch him play? He's an absolute ******* butcher when it comes to kicking the ball.
So are Mitchell, Fyfe, Danger, Cripps Oliver etc?...

The only good mids that can kick well are kelly, pendles, macrae etc but they're worse on the inside. No player is perfect, you do understand that right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should hope so... it seems like he has been left at the alter a bit ..

Id expect by july , if TK has not signed then there will be a call made for coffee and cake and sitdown ... to try to determine "what is required".. to try to get a bit of preplan happening so it happens smoothly.

Let’s hope so. I don’t think you can play the footy he is if you’re not in a good head space so I reckon he is really enjoying his time at the Cats. The pull of course with a young family to be home in WA is going to be the deciding factor which we all know.
I’d love to have him in our midfield and hope we can get him but none of us really know.

So are Mitchell, Fyfe, Danger, Cripps Oliver etc?...

The only good mids that can kick well are kelly, pendles, macrae etc but they're worse on the inside. No player is perfect, you do understand that right?
I'm not expecting any player to be perfect. But he's easily the worst kick of the footy (contested or uncontested) of any major ball winning mids in the comp. For now anyway, Sam Walsh will probably take this mantle from him soon enough.

I'm not expecting any player to be perfect. But he's easily the worst kick of the footy (contested or uncontested) of any major ball winning mids in the comp. For now anyway, Sam Walsh will probably take this mantle from him soon enough.

His kicking is much better this year than last. He’s now a very good kick. Probably not elite but it’s no longer a weakness.

have u seen cripps kick?

actually probably not all he knows is how to handball and even then he misses his targets half the times...

BUT REGARDLESS, still an elite mid and one of the most valuable players in the comp... so my point is, u cant just discount kelly for his kicking especially when it's not even that bad

Got any stats on that?

Kicking efficiency is a pretty terrible stat. Bontempelli has a kicking efficiency of 58.6% this year. Higgins is 54.3. Are these guys poor kicks of the footy? Shannon Hurn (arguably the best kick in the game) is at 85.5, Josh Kelly (one of the cleanest ball using mids) is at 53.3. Andrew Gaff is only 58.8% which given the style of game he plays surprises me.

Tim Kelly is a serviceable kick, nothing more. From the Chris Masten school of technically fine but either makes poor decisions or misreads distances in space rather than the Levi Casboult 'which side of the ball will he hit' school. You don't need to be the best kick to be the best player but people do get carried away if you dare question that any aspect of a player's game isn't "elite".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back