Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here we go again. You traded for him because you couldn’t get him as a FA due to money involved.

What someone is worth has some value. Leverage has more value.

Why would any WA team give up 2x 1st rounders? Not like there are 7 other clubs ready to pounce.
IIRC, when Dangerfield was traded, future trading didn't exist. Otherwise, he's 2 x 1st rounders for sure.

Kelly is going to cost WCE, 2 x 1st rounders. 2 late 1st rounders. If Freo finish with a top 8 pick, they may secure him with that and a 2nd around mid/late 20's. I'd still prefer Kelly then either of those deals, especially when you're in the window.

IIRC, when Dangerfield was traded, future trading didn't exist. Otherwise, he's 2 x 1st rounders for sure.

Kelly is going to cost WCE, 2 x 1st rounders. 2 late 1st rounders. If Freo finish with a top 8 pick, they may secure him with that and a 2nd around mid/late 20's. I'd still prefer Kelly then either of those deals, especially when you're in the window.

Have you not noticed our trading recently? Our club protects the downside. Future 1st rounder will attract a premium. It’s a big call to just take a future first rounder as “late”.

Geelong fans still carrying on as though a selling club dictates destination when evidence is completely different.

If Kelly selects freo that’s where he will go. If he selects wce, that’s where he will go. If he selects Geelong, he will stay.

What if we have 20 ish again and a third party will give us a better pick for some combo of collective points?

IE is 10 preferable to 20 and potentially 20 again?

Yes because 10 usually gets you a better quality player at the draft and has more currency if you want to on trade it for a player.

Only facts we have is eagles fans were wrong last year on how it would play out and geelong fans were right. Eagles fans were wrong on how good he would be this year and geelong fans were right.

Lets keep listening to eagles fans.

Not all Eagles fans, I would of taken Kelly last year over any kid we have drafted the last 3 years. No brainer for me. The club saw it different of course.

Have you not noticed our trading recently? Our club protects the downside. Future 1st rounder will attract a premium. It’s a big call to just take a future first rounder as “late”.

Geelong fans still carrying on as though a selling club dictates destination when evidence is completely different.

If Kelly selects freo that’s where he will go. If he selects wce, that’s where he will go. If he selects Geelong, he will stay.

No selecting anywhere doesnt guarantee he will go there. You might want to brush up on how trading works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough but that's less than Shiel, Treloar etc. We can't use our picks to trade up and then package.

Not disagreeing with that.
To be fair it wasnt that WCEs 3 R2s last year were a crap offer (although i would argue it was unders then and definitly is unders this year) but more that it didnt suit our needs as i expect we wanted to replace Kelly in another trade (who i dont know) and we knew that 20s picks wouldnt get such a trade done with those picks. Remember we used the motlop pick on kelly to begin with because we felt we were in a window and didnt want to replace Kelly with a kid. Well Kelly is a better player than motlop so we will have the same list needs this year.

Unfortunately for WCE while Freo have a higher R1 that would be more useful in on trades we wont have much interest in your teens picks unless we are forced to (ie if hes adamant he will go into the draft unless traded to wce which i doubt he will do).
In terms of an actual trade my guess is you will give up 2 xR1s and maybe get a later pick back but it will have to involve a third club and Geelong getting a decent player in the deal-taking teens picks from you and using them at the draft doesnt have a heap of value to us where our window is at.

Third parties are more in Geelong's corner.

Say you want a player from another club then we can only really put our currency on the table as if it's yours to play with. We can't negotiate terms of contract and trade for a player not joining our club.

We can package picks for picks but I reckon if a team had say pick 10 available for the right offer both of not all clubs would know about it.

Third parties are more in Geelong's corner.

Say you want a player from another club then we can only really put our currency on the table as if it's yours to play with. We can't negotiate terms of contract and trade for a player not joining our club.

We can package picks for picks but I reckon if a team had say pick 10 available for the right offer both of not all clubs would know about it.

What i meant was more if Geelong has their eye on a replacement player that they have agreed to trade in for pick X and Freos R1 is on the table and meets pick X and yours unfortunately doesnt, we wouldnt take yours unless you improved it in such a way that helps us get that done.

The reality is if Geelong think Kelly's position of last resort is to sign again with Geelong rather than head to the draft then they arent going to do a deal with WCE unless its one that specifically helps them get done other deals that they want to get done. If you believe you'll get him for less because he'll be prepared to head to the draft all good to you but i dont think thats the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back