Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The Crows got him to Geelong in good faith because he wanted to go home

Geelong only understand what good faith is, if they are the destination
What rubbish. He would of gone to geelong anyway as geelong could just up the pay offer to a level the crows wouldnt match. Geelong agreed to trade behind scenes so they could get danger on lower salary. We valued salary over draft picks. Thats the only reason a trade happened.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
What rubbish. He would of gone to geelong anyway as geelong could just up the pay offer to a level the crows wouldnt match. Geelong agreed to trade behind scenes so they could get danger on lower salary. We valued salary over draft picks. Thats the only reason a trade happened.

You pretty much confirmed that the Crows just let it happen to get it done for Danger

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

Nah, we should have stood our ground. We were losing our marquee player a couple of years after not having first round picks for two seasons, there is no way we should have cared less that Geelong had promised the other first rounder for Henderson.

I actually find this trade a bit interesting ( maybe because for once it isn't my team) whichever team gets him has to stump up if he is leaving. Matthews was being a drama queen suggesting a number 1 plus a top 10 pick but given he is a chance to win Charlie this year, it is going to be a difficult trade.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly. A player many thought may never play again got pick 10 and 26. Pick 10 alone is almost as good as the eagles first draft pick plus next years first combined as they will both be late teens.

Pick 10 is as good as our first this year and next is it? OK.

What contract was JOM offered that they thought 10 and 26 was a commensurate trade offer?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Sympathy and goodwill goes both ways remember.

If Kelly again nominates the Eagles its do a deal or the Eagles trade down for a first lower than Freo's.

If Wells throws his toys out the cot and refuses to deal with Kelly's preferred club the goodwill is gone.

What gives the Cats any right to dictate who Kelly works for?

They will get back as min the pick they used to draft him two drafts ago PLUS a 1st rounder.
In over twenty years of trading wells has never once thrown his toys out of the cot.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Geelong tried to get him there, but I heard the Eagles only offered up one second rounders, but insisted the trade include Duncan and Kelly.

Great faith Cats.
Terrible faith Eagles.
20+22 was offered. A massive offer for a mature age single season rookie that wants to go home.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's what I reckon will transpire if he doesn't re-sign with Geelong.

Eagles finish top 4 - earn pick 14ish
Dockers finish bottom 5 - earn Pick 5ish

Cats ask for first rounder plus more.

WCE say have our 1st.

Dockers come in and try their luck.

Tim Kelly says I'm only going to the Eagles.

Eagles say have our 1st.

Cats ask for more.

Eagles say no because if Kelly goes to the draft we'll pick him up for that anyhow.

Dockers won't use a top 5 pick in the draft for him.

Cats begrudgingly take Eagles first offer, Kelly off to the Eagles.

Cats board goes into meltdown.
This has never happened. Fantasy land. For one, if geelong thought the eagles would try to do that then they will just tell freo who can offer more then pick 17 in a trade.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
20+22 was offered. A massive offer for a mature age single season rookie that wants to go home.

No, it was extreme unders. A terrible offer for our runner up best and fairest on rookie wages. As Scott said, it would have been a very good deal for you. Geelong rightfully rejected your sub par offer. He was worth a top 10 pick last year.. you didn’t have one nor did you move hard enough to find one. Probably regretting not meeting the price as his value has increased. Now it’ll be 2 x R1s. Pay up or shut up.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You get teams offer pick 1s every year for 18 year olds with no experience playing against men let alone afl level? Kelly had 13 brownlow votes, barely missed a best and fairest and showed genuine x factor all in one season.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

I’ve said it a lot as well but the dangerfield trade is a unique one of a kind. We really have nothing else to compare it to as nobody else has matched a RFA offer. When another star player gets matched we will see how that goes down in comparison. Until that happens its apples and oranges.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
But geelong does own kelly we drafted him we developed him into the footballer he is. He wasn’t a browlow medalist level footy player while at the WAFL. That’s what geelong transformed him into, not kelly himself.

No different to any other kid aged 18 who is drafted then wants to walk out after two years of a contract.

Should I feel sorry that kelly was a lazy footballer as a junior and missed that boat? Absolutely not. And by his own admissions he was a lazy footballer and not up to it.

If kelly wanted to play AFL football under the conditions that he plays wherever he feels like playing with and that club who drafted him just has to accept whatever average picks they give, well.. too bad.

We will get maximum value and west coast will cough up, news is he is now. For open to Fremantle because of how you guys screwed him last year and wouldn’t pay fair value. Hopefully he chooses Fremantle and we can get a fair deal done.

No Geelong dosnt own Kelly.

Slavery does not exist in Australia.

Geelong has acontract for Kelly to play for them and no one else until the end of the 2019 season.

Geelong picked up a mature age player polished up a few rough edges and picked him. They didnt develop araw 18 year old over six years.

What is this max value you say Geelong will demand and yet?

Put it up so we can see how close you get.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No Geelong dosnt own Kelly.

Slavery does not exist in Australia.

Geelong has acontract for Kelly to play for them and no one else until the end of the 2019 season.

Geelong picked up a mature age player polished up a few rough edges and picked him. They didnt develop araw 18 year old over six years.

What is this max value you say Geelong will demand and yet?

Put it up so we can see how close you get.

Polished a few edges? That’s an interesting take on getting a Good WAFL player who wasn’t even BF in the WAFL league to brownlow favorite and AFLCA leader at the halfway mark of the AFL season. I would call it alto more than a polished edge.

Yes once again we owe kelly nothing. He has only given us two years of football service. Hardly a return at all. He hasn’t given us 6-10 years of service, he has given two, after taking him with an early second rounder.

Geelong will get the maximum value and it will all be in geelongs best interest. All good faith and good will went out the door when he said I want to go home, but not to Fremantle.

Wells has said this much and acted accordingly and will be no different this year.

Worst case will be 2x first rounders. Depending what this years first is you have, an extra second rounder might need to be involved.

Something like

2x first round picks ( worst case)

2x first rounds + second rounder ( mid ground) about the mark for west coast

2x first round + brander who is steak knives instead of a second rounder. As he hasn’t done anything his first two seasons.

If you look at the treloar shiels and omeara trades it’s about accurate.. I’m actually being pretty generous when you look in comparison to the precedents we have over the years as kelly is better than those players

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...0/news-story/b6f1e4131a965b5a8d7bce796e0d7a4b

AFL great Leigh Matthews suggested that, with Kelly “the best performed player in the game” right now - and being just 24 years old - he is worth two top ten draft picks.

“Tim Kelly, he’s incredible, really. I think the coaches’ award, the coaches rate their own players and what they’ve done for their team, and the opposition players for how hard they’ve been to play against. So I always rate the coaches’ award,” Matthews said on 3AW.

“On that basis, you could say after Round 12, Tim Kelly’s been the best performed player in the game.

“Let’s face it, you wouldn’t swap him for next year’s number one pick, would you? I wouldn’t. He’s (24), so you wouldn’t swap him for an 18 year old who might be as good as Tim Kelly - yeah, you might get an extra five years - but he might not be anywhere near as good.

“If it was an independent panel doing the (trade), it’d be about Pick 1 and Pick 10, I reckon.”
Price has been raised again. I agree with Leigh for what it's worth, pick 1 and about pick 10 or so will get this over the line.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Geelong will get whatever is offered or it will be off to the PSD and Geelong get nothing

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
2x first round + brander who is steak knives instead of a second rounder. As he hasn’t done anything his first two seasons.

If you look at the treloar shiels and omeara trades it’s about accurate.. I’m actually being pretty generous when you look in comparison to the precedents we have over the years as kelly is better than those players

Classic. Two first rounders and Brander.

I'm guessing those trades are your apples while Dangerfield, Tom Mitchell, Devon Smith etc. are your oranges? Funny how many precedents you can see in trades that maximise the trade value going to Geelong.

I hope Kelly plays well against Port. Then it will be two first rounders and Oscar Allen.

tomthabuddah1

Senior List
Jun 14, 2018
UK
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
What is forgotten in this thread about market value is WCE could get the number 1 player in the game, that is frightening considering their list. 2 first rounders is a bargain when you factor in the risks around draft picks.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
The Dangerfield trade should not be referred to as a precedent.

He was a RFA when he left Adelaide and we could have offered him a godfather contract, forcing them to only receive a first round compo pick.

Both clubs electing to trade instead was a win win in the sense that Adelaide got more than they would if we offered him a contract under RFA, and we were able to maintain our well documented pay structure where no player is paid $1m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back