Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Might need WC now to trade both Shuey and McGovern to get this deal done. Must be like watching the property market boom in Melbourne back in the 2000's whilst not putting a bid in and then wonder why you now have to spend $2M on something that may have cost you $500K if you'd had the balls to bid when you should have.

Shuey is 29, better make that Yeo. And throw in Gaff for good measure.

What is forgotten in this thread about market value is WCE could get the number 1 player in the game, that is frightening considering their list. 2 first rounders is a bargain when you factor in the risks around draft picks.

Number 1 player in the game. Only 10 games to go plus finals to pass Carey and Matthews.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The Dangerfield trade should not be referred to as a precedent.

He was a RFA when he left Adelaide and we could have offered him a godfather contract, forcing them to only receive a first round compo pick.

Both clubs electing to trade instead was a win win in the sense that Adelaide got more than they would if we offered him a contract under RFA, and we were able to maintain our well documented pay structure where no player is paid $1m.

If you can toss out Dangerfield I can toss out any other trade as a precedent.

The reason Geelong didn't upset their much documented pay structure was because Adelaide would have matched. You could've paid $1m or whatever and so could they - so you'd just end up trading and paying top dollar.

Adelaide got a better deal than FA compo would have given them but really should've pushed for 2015 and 2016 firsts.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Classic. Two first rounders and Brander.

I'm guessing those trades are your apples while Dangerfield, Tom Mitchell, Devon Smith etc. are your oranges? Funny how many precedents you can see in trades that maximise the trade value going to Geelong.

I hope Kelly plays well against Port. Then it will be two first rounders and Oscar Allen.

Going off the precedent we have for similar players brander + two first rounders is very reasonable. Brander is two AFL seasons in and shown nothing.

Similar standard players are the apples, yes. Devon Smith similar level to Tim kelly, treloar and shiel?

Just stop posting mate.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
The Dangerfield trade should not be referred to as a precedent.

He was a RFA when he left Adelaide and we could have offered him a godfather contract, forcing them to only receive a first round compo pick.

Both clubs electing to trade instead was a win win in the sense that Adelaide got more than they would if we offered him a contract under RFA, and we were able to maintain our well documented pay structure where no player is paid $1m.

It just isn’t apples to oranges the dangerfield situation as we have no other RFA bid for a star to compare it to. Until then it’s one of a kind and apples to oranges trying to compare it with anything else.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
“If it was an independent panel doing the (trade), it’d be about Pick 1 and Pick 10, I reckon.”

Do independent panels do trades? Is that a thing?

Um Leigh why wouldnt the side just use pick 1 in the draft?

Has anyone been traded for pick 1 and another too 10 pick?

If we had those picks Id use them. Let some other idiot pay stupid overs.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
So Geelong have apparently offered a 1 + 1 deal. $800k for 2020, the same or more in 2021 if he chooses to stay. If he chooses to return to WA then we end up at exactly the same place as we did last year and probably will this year if he doesn't sign. He can only choose to leave if and when Geelong are satisfied, so it's not really a get out clause... also isn't he worth $1m+? $800k x 2 years probaby wouldn't even trigger band 1 compo for a free agent, $800k x 1 year certainly wouldn't.

Smart play from the Cats, but WC should just follow up with a lesser money deal over a longer term. According to Sam Maclure (so probably wrong) he doesn't want a long term deal in Geelong which has already been offered. So do you want $800k for a year in Geelong or $650k a year for 5 years in Perth?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Um Leigh why wouldnt the side just use pick 1 in the draft?

Has anyone been traded for pick 1 and another too 10 pick?

If we had those picks Id use them. Let some other idiot pay stupid overs.

The last trade involving pick 1 was Trent Croad to Freo. This year might see pick 1 changing hands but it wasn't pick 1 at the time of trade.

If you traded pick 1 + more for any uncontracted player you would have rocks in your head. Especially when the PSD still exists and you can effectively keep pick 1 and then get them for nothing.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So Geelong have apparently offered a 1 + 1 deal. $800k for 2020, the same or more in 2021 if he chooses to stay. If he chooses to return to WA then we end up at exactly the same place as we did last year and probably will this year if he doesn't sign. He can only choose to leave if and when Geelong are satisfied, so it's not really a get out clause... also isn't he worth $1m+? $800k x 2 years probaby wouldn't even trigger band 1 compo for a free agent, $800k x 1 year certainly wouldn't.

Smart play from the Cats, but WC should just follow up with a lesser money deal over a longer term. According to Sam Maclure (so probably wrong) he doesn't want a long term deal in Geelong which has already been offered. So do you want $800k for a year in Geelong or $650k a year for 5 years in Perth?

I have a feeling that he'll play one more year with us then move to you guys.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
The reason Geelong didn't upset their much documented pay structure was because Adelaide would have matched.

No, it’s because we didn’t want to lose/push out other player/s as a result of one player being paid huge $$.

We could have easily afforded to price Adelaide out in terms of a FA contract, given we signed SSelwood, Henderson and Smith in the same trade period for a conservative $1.2m combined.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I have a feeling that he'll play one more year with us then move to you guys.
I have a bad feeling Freo will have the better picks this year and a deal will be done with them. They *should* have the better first rounder. Especially if they get the pies second round pick for Langdon who is rumoured to be wanting to play with his bro at the pies. We have Sydney's second round pick so I suppose its a case of whether you prefer the better first rounder, or the (probably significantly) better second rounder (unless the Swans from here on come from the clouds and make a semi final, knowing the Swans I wouldnt rule that out :sick:). One of his kids was very recently diagnosed with autism and I think that has all but confirmed his relocation back to WA this offseason.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I agree that 800 for one year is not ground shuddering.. Im surprised that its not 7.. with a Josh Kelly option for him for another...

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a bad feeling Freo will have the better picks this year and a deal will be done with them. They *should* have the better first rounder. Especially if they get the pies second round pick for Langdon who is rumoured to be wanting to play with his bro at the pies. We have Sydney's second round pick so I suppose its a case of whether you prefer the better first rounder, or the (probably significantly) better second rounder (unless the Swans from here on come from the clouds and make a semi final, knowing the Swans I wouldnt rule that out :sick:). One of his kids was very recently diagnosed with autism and I think that has all but confirmed his relocation back to WA this offseason.

I think it will require more than just Freo's first rounder and the pick they get for Langdon now that Freo appears to be finals bound. I have as little idea as anyone here how this may play out but whilst Kelly's form continues to go from strength to strength then you'd assume his trade price will increase commensurately. If Either of the WA teams were bottom 4 teams it would be certainly a lot easier to work out.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
And in your mind who would be some of the players names that could be?

I am not interested in putting names out there simply because my fellow Eagles supporters will try and engage in a debate that all our players are better than Kelly and no one is up for trade. I have no interest in that debate.
I want Tim Kelly as I think he would be a top 5 player at our club which means in my opinion there is a very big chunk of players that are tradable and won’t effect our premiership window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back