Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo have more to trade with compared to west coast.

Cats fans will demand 1st rounders. Like treloar.

I personally dont want Sean Darcy to leave. Then again if Cats get freos 1st rounder this year (likely top 10 pick) and Darcy, its a good deal. they get a need of a ruckman and a high 1st rounder.

No way in hell we will offer cerra as Freo rate him highly.

Saying that. Cats are likely to laugh at this Proposal: A similar deal to the Paddy Ryder trade. West Coast or Freo offer a 1st rounder this year and a 2nd for next.

Saying that, I reckon Kelly will stay.

Unless Brad Hill is on the table I don't think Freo really have that much more to offer than WC, just slightly better picks based on current ladder positions. Darcy is a good prospect but if Geelong were trading for him in isolation what would they offer?
Did you miss the weekend? Slightly better picks will be like saying Darling had a slightly better career than Jayden Pitt by the end of the year

Freo were utter trash on the weekend but are still 11th at 7-8. Will end up middle 6 IMO.
No way we make finals, pick will be somewhere between 5-10 with yours between 16-18. While I'd much prefer the gap to be smaller (or reversed), I would say at best, there is a 6 point gap between the two picks and then you apply similar logic to next years pick.

Geelong will be hoping (pushing?) Kelly to pick Freo. It doestn mean much in the end, if Kelly demands WC, he gets WC but I think its silly to think Freo wont be significantly preferred by Geelong, even without Hill leaving

Not concerned. We can only offer what we can offer.

If Freo wants to come over the top with some massive deal then so be it.

I wanted Kelly last year and this year but not willing to sell the farm to get him.

If you believe in rumours then Kelly + Hills won't happen so for Freo it could be a case of one (two) or the other and getting the best deal around that. There are no WC rumours that I know of so it should be a case of trading draft picks and having enough cap space. Freo may be in the position where their first pick is a free hit anyway with NGA bidding so accumulating picks in the 20s and 30s works for them.

I still think that if Kelly wants to join WC then WC trading with Freo is on the table.

Unless Brad Hill is on the table I don't think Freo really have that much more to offer than WC, just slightly better picks based on current ladder positions. Darcy is a good prospect but if Geelong were trading for him in isolation what would they offer?
TBH I can't see Geelong looking at Darcy, a ruck seems the last thing they need.

If you believe in rumours then Kelly + Hills won't happen so for Freo it could be a case of one (two) or the other and getting the best deal around that. There are no WC rumours that I know of so it should be a case of trading draft picks and having enough cap space. Freo may be in the position where their first pick is a free hit anyway with NGA bidding so accumulating picks in the 20s and 30s works for them.

I still think that if Kelly wants to join WC then WC trading with Freo is on the table.
Would be spicey =)

Would be spicey =)

Current picks would be 8 and 26 vs 17, 23 and 35.

8 is roughly equal to 23 + 26. We could trade you 8 for a future first + 23 + 35, then you use 23 and 26 to bid on old mate. We then live trade 17 to you for our future first back. You turn 8 and 26 into the player you were going to pick at 8, 17 and 35, we turn 17, 23, 35 into pick 8... :)

Something like that anyway. Basic premise being to orchestrate getting a first round pick back as a double dip after pick 8.

Current picks would be 8 and 26 vs 17, 23 and 35.

8 is roughly equal to 23 + 26. We could trade you 8 for a future first + 23 + 35, then you use 23 and 26 to bid on old mate. We then live trade 17 to you for our future first back. You turn 8 and 26 into the player you were going to pick at 8, 17 and 35, we turn 17, 23, 35 into pick 8... :)

Something like that anyway. Basic premise being to orchestrate getting a first round pick back as a double dip after pick 8.
I like the cut of your jib given you had you finishing 2nd and I dont want to put a downer on this trade but if I'm understanding correctly, we are essentially turning 8 and 26, into Henry, 17 and 35. I would imagine a much more preferable scenario for us (and simpler) is to keep the top 10 pick and turn our second into a couple of thirds which is used for old mate. 8 >17 & 35 (especially after 35 turns into 40 with bids and the like)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the cut of your jib given you had you finishing 2nd and I dont want to put a downer on this trade but if I'm understanding correctly, we are essentially turning 8 and 26, into Henry, 17 and 35. I would imagine a much more preferable scenario for us (and simpler) is to keep the top 10 pick and turn our second into a couple of thirds which is used for old mate. 8 >17 & 35 (especially after 35 turns into 40 with bids and the like)

It's entirely dependent on the bids on Henry. If a team bids pick 9 as the highest bid then there is no benefit in trading pick 8. If a team bids pick 1-7 then you would have to use pick 8. You can't bid on a player at pick 8 with some picks in the 30s and then use earlier picks in the draft. If we traded you 17, 23, 35 for 8 and a team bid pick 10 then you'd end up using 17 anyway. The purpose of the live trade is to give you a first round pick after the bidding is done and dusted.

It's entirely dependent on the bids on Henry. If a team bids pick 9 as the highest bid then there is no benefit in trading pick 8. If a team bids pick 1-7 then you would have to use pick 8. You can't bid on a player at pick 8 with some picks in the 30s and then use earlier picks in the draft. If we traded you 17, 23, 35 for 8 and a team bid pick 10 then you'd end up using 17 anyway. The purpose of the live trade is to give you a first round pick after the bidding is done and dusted.
I am a massive fan of Henry but if someone bids top 10 with him I'd be staggered, but yes, then that trade would work and be preferrable

Geelong hasn't had access to a single digit pick since Joel Selwood in 2006. To a guy standing in a river a glass of water is slightly better, but to a guy in the desert it's significant.

He is.
But he’s still got 2 years left on his current one.
There’s only so much you can double dip

Also by that token does that mean when a player signs a sizeable contract then preceedes to struggle the club can turn around and say “hey reckon we can get you taking a little less now your not playing to the same standards”?

That happens.

Wells at the Pies did it more so due to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back