Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I definitely didn’t say Tim is to blame. I don’t know how any person with even the slightest bit of intelligence could interpret my words that way....

Yes I said the same thing with Ablett; he was traded back to Geelong while under contract. Ablett and kelly both had extenuating circumstances that required a trade. Some people tend to think these footballers don’t have a life outside of football.
See the reason I said that is because you're another moron who thinks WCE should be using Tim's personal situation as leverage for a trade. Family issues or not, Geelong has the right to demand fair trade value.

People dropped the idiotic idea you're pedalling months ago.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Isn't there an agreement between West Coast and Freo that once a player nominates a team the other steps away? Pretty sure West Coast didn't try and get involved with mcCarthy/wilson/hogan/lobb As all nominated Freo.
That aside:
If a player refused to go to WCE and only Freo and preferred to stay at their current club, I as sure as he'll wouldn't want him anywhere near WCE.
There wouldn't be a set in stone agreement, but there seems to be an understanding like that. But if Kelly comes out (as he did) and say he was open to going to Fremantle, then it is our duty to play the game of inflating his salary and trade value. Even if that is not actually happening, that is what the player manager will "leak" as being the case. I think both clubs know it is a game that is mostly driven by media speculation.

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
That why Lever went for two firsts and a second coming back when uncontracted after improving a ton in one season.. You dont have near the leverage you think. Kelly can still sign a huge contract where he has the option to leave every year like gaff at Geelong if no trade is reached. There's a heap of his family that's moved to Geelong to help already. Picks in the mid teens have way less value than 1 guaranteed top 6 pick. Pick 14 (will be at least 15 with GC compo pick likely and possibly higher) and 22 miles off being miles off. West Coast fans dont get even the basics of trading.ill give you 14 and 22 for an uncontracted Yeo? Deal? He used to support Freo. Im not a geelong supporter Im a freo supporter btw.

If Yeo was equal to Kelly in class that is slightly unders which has been conceeded. Ever team would want 'a bit more'at the trade table for class players.

But Yeo is a dual AA, a dual B&F, one of those being in a premiership year and is one of the few mids in the comp who can run both ways and has the size and power beat the likes of Martin and Dangerfield 1 on 1. Kelly is not.

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
He was still playing well. You do realize how ridiculous it is to say a Brownlow favourite at Round 20 is worth a couple of picks that after the likely compensations and bids wont be at least pick 17 (if they lose this week) and 26ish by my estimates in the actual draft. That's taking into account Gold Coast compensation is likely and with both Green and Carter requiring bids before WC's first pick.

Unless GWS can trade down to a top 4 pick they will need their two 1sts to land Green. That will take two 1sts out and the residual would move their 2nd 1st into the mid 2nd round there abouts.

Freo also has a top 10 academy pick that will burn up picks likely traded in.

The AFL has closed the loop hole in pick trading the Swans used last year.

So it is not certain later 1st rounders will be pushed out, they may even improve.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Unless GWS can trade down to a top 4 pick they will need their two 1sts to land Green. That will take two 1sts out and the residual would move their 2nd 1st into the mid 2nd round there abouts.

Freo also has a top 10 academy pick that will burn up picks likely traded in.

The AFL has closed the loop hole in pick trading the Swans used last year.

So it is not certain later 1st rounders will be pushed out, they may even improve.
I don't think GWS worry about that, GWS already signed Cog for 7 years and with caldwell and hately tracking well . They might not match bid if the bid come too early. Look at Blakey only come at pick around 10. Forget they have taranto too.

I don't think GWS or Fremantle need to worry about that, GWS already signed Cog for 7 years and with caldwell and hately tracking well . They might not match bid if the bid come too high. Look at Blakey only come at pick 10.
I expect GWS to attempt to secure a pick inside the top three to four, then when Green is bid on their draft looks like:
Pick #3, Pick #5, Pick #45

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I expect GWS to attempt to secure a pick inside the top three to four, then when Green is bid on their draft looks like:
Pick #3, Pick #5, Pick #45
I hope you don't mind if I pump it up if you are wrong in this. I rated Blakey in a super draft higher than green in a normal draft. GWS also need to paid more to keep a top 10 pick. I think they will use two first round pick and match it if they have to. Bid normally come in after Top 5.

Last edited:
Kelly has children with an illness, Dangerfield didn’t. That’s the big difference. If kelly didn’t have children with an illness, I would be in agreement with you. Children with an illness are more important than footy, it’s pretty easy to understand ...

If my club had been in that situation last year, I would have wanted them to grant the trade request. There’s more to life than footy ffs.

Autism isn't an illness, what a stupid comment.

Hawks_4478

All Australian
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Autism isn't an illness, what a stupid comment.

Excuse me?? I was trying to be polite and not actually say what his children have. There’s a thing called manners....

The term Ill health can cover a range of diseases, symptoms etc, which is what I was referring to. So you’re actually wrong on that as well...

Do you even know what autism is?? You’re the one making stupid comments

Last edited:
Excuse me?? I was trying to be polite and not actually say what his children have. There’s a thing called manners....

The term Ill health can cover a range of diseases, symptoms etc, which is what I was referring to. So you’re actually wrong on that as well...

For starters it's not a secret that he has kids with special needs. You stating they have something they don't makes you look like a moron, which reading your response is extremely clear to be true.

I have two kids with autism so come again at me dickhead.

Regardless, WCE won't be using Tim's family as leverage in a potential trade like you keep suggesting. Go troll the Chad Wingard trade thread

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd give Geelong the option of either; this and next years first with their future second rebounding or this years first, pick 22 and our 3rd rounder this year. That way they can chose the best option for them. They either go heavy in this draft of have an each way bet in the next two drafts.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Honestly I've been a bit of a tight arse over some of my stances towards the situation. If Kelly nominates West Coast he's getting there, and Geelong should do the right thing to help accomodate Kelly to get back where he needs to. If we miss out on Kelly we go to the draft. Nothing wrong with that.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Honestly I've been a bit of a tight arse over some of my stances towards the situation. If Kelly nominates West Coast he's getting there, and Geelong should do the right thing to help accomodate Kelly to get back where he needs to. If we miss out on Kelly we go to the draft. Nothing wrong with that.
Although I like Kelly, I just don’t think he is worth the asking price of $800K+ per year. I also think he is 99% chance of choosing WC, why choose a team that is lacking direction and a coach at present

Well Martin has nominated Carlton as his preferred club.

Wonder if the Vic media will get all up in arms about it?

Will Riewaldt stick to his view if King at Gold Coast one year nominates the Saints to play with his bro?
Didn't realise Martin had just finished his first year in the league. If so then yeah pretty poor form to select only a single club when there are 9 Melbourne based teams.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Eagles fans think the exact same. :thumbsu:

We must be all morons who have no idea hey?

Not often Freo and Eagles fans agree on something.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Eagles fans think the exact same. :thumbsu:

We must be all morons who have no idea hey?

Not often Freo and Eagles fans agree on something.
Yeah that's true. Plus it's respecting the mutual agreement between the clubs to not go and sabotage the other's trade targets if said target nominates one club. Ultimately it's a business and you gotta respect agreements.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Last year Freo (loosely) traded Neale and pick 6 and ended up with Hogan, Lobb and pick 17. Pretty sure WC spoke with Lobb, not sure about Hogan. Lobb wanted to spend more time forward (didn't end up happening with injuries) and more money so chose Freo. There's not much to be gained by WC trying to get in the way at that point. Hogan I doubt we could afford or find the trade currency for, plus we have Darling 27 and three young forwards 20, 20 and 21 coming through so we don't need a 24 year old key forward. Also makes no sense with these moves in the pipeline for Freo to be chasing after a player who doesn't want to go there and potentially jeopardising trades for players that do.

Make no mistake WC and Freo target many of the same players, but once a player chooses a club the non-selected club doesn't behave like a BigFooty fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back