Tim Kelly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need another quality small forward (locked in with Henry), outside run and mids and more mids.

Kelly should cost no more than 6 and 22 if by some miracle we got him

Would you rather
a) Stephens, Robertson, Henry, Sharp or
b) Kelly, Stephens, Henry

I would take b every day of the week and then some. We address outside run with Stephens, midfield with Kelly and Henry as the small forward. We could also trade out a future to get back into the 2nd round and pick up another player we like.
interesting proposal.....

Tim Kelly and Liam Henry would help us a bit.

Again, Freo are rumoured to get Nick Robertson from Brisbane and Blake Acres from the saints.

Both are 190cm mids. Make that what you will....

I do not see the big deal. He is a good player - sure, but I like the look of 2 top 10 picks + our academy recruits. He is entitled to want to go to the Eagles. No drama there. I think in the long run it is for the best (for our club). If he wanted to come, then open arms, but if his heart is not in it, let it go.

It is certainly not "boo" worthy. If we wanted him that much, we should have drafted him a long time ago. So boo us. I think the Tim Kelly story is awesome, and I like watching him play. My main concern is you put all the eggs in this basket, and an injury happens, there goes the future of the club. With our drafting in the past 2 years, another good year and we should be playing finals for a sustained period.

Forget Tim Kelly I say. Bring in those that want to be here. Those that do not buy in, well, good luck to them.

Well put. Tim Kelly (or his manager) has twice said he wants to go to WC so why buy into that situation for no gain to Freo.
No doubt Geelong will keep Freo up to speed with the situation to a degree just in case they need us as a White Knight somewhere down the road. It would be wise for us to have a price in regard to Kelly's salary and what we are willing to part with to Geelong and leave it at that.
There is no point low balling Geelong as they are the only other party in this trade who remotely need us in their corner (at this stage of things)

In an investment sense, you’d be buying at the top. Peak age, 2 years of peak footy, one of the Brownlow favourites, played well in finals etc.

Geelong are selling at a massive profit, and some sucker (WCE) will overpay for a soon to be declining asset that will possibly never replicate his 2019 value again.
I’d rather invest in youth at this stage than sell our future for this guy.

In an investment sense, you’d be buying at the top. Peak age, 2 years of peak footy, one of the Brownlow favourites, played well in finals etc.

Geelong are selling at a massive profit, and some sucker (WCE) will overpay for a soon to be declining asset that will possibly never replicate his 2019 value again.
I think he will be good for a good few years more . If you talk to West coast supporters the 2020 premiership is theirs if they land Kelly. I hope they land him and still go backwards Just don't see it regrettably.

I think he will be good for a good few years more . If you talk to West coast supporters the 2020 premiership is theirs if they land Kelly. I hope they land him and still go backwards Just don't see it regrettably.

I agree he has years of good footy left - my point is that his market value will never be as high as it is now - coming off a career best year and at a prime age. Geelong are taking advantage and charging huge overs. I heard on trade radio they won't be happy with 2 first round picks from WC (this year + next year). If that's their price, we'd do well to just back right off.

I agree he has years of good footy left - my point is that his market value will never be as high as it is now - coming off a career best year and at a prime age. Geelong are taking advantage and charging huge overs. I heard on trade radio they won't be happy with 2 first round picks from WC (this year + next year). If that's their price, we'd do well to just back right off.
Good to be pushing his price up just for the fun. I do not actually want him.

I do not see the big deal. He is a good player - sure, but I like the look of 2 top 10 picks + our academy recruits. He is entitled to want to go to the Eagles. No drama there. I think in the long run it is for the best (for our club). If he wanted to come, then open arms, but if his heart is not in it, let it go.

It is certainly not "boo" worthy. If we wanted him that much, we should have drafted him a long time ago. So boo us. I think the Tim Kelly story is awesome, and I like watching him play. My main concern is you put all the eggs in this basket, and an injury happens, there goes the future of the club. With our drafting in the past 2 years, another good year and we should be playing finals for a sustained period.

Forget Tim Kelly I say. Bring in those that want to be here. Those that do not buy in, well, good luck to them.

beautifully put....

Best time to buy is when players have played 2-3 years, early 20's and played around 30 games ie Yeo.

On the Geelong board there was mention of Tim Kelly being interviewed by channel 9 and saying he has no problem with Fremantle? Did anyone happen to see that interview?
Some on the Geelong board thought it was a game changer. Perhaps that was a case of wishful thinking however.

On the Geelong board there was mention of Tim Kelly being interviewed by channel 9 and saying he has no problem with Fremantle? Did anyone happen to see that interview?
Some on the Geelong board thought it was a game changer. Perhaps that was a case of wishful thinking however.

I saw it. The journalist asked “what is your problem with freo? He said I have no problem with freo, it’s just I’ve made a choice and for me that is west coast.

I think is it comes to it on the last day and still a a stalemate and we want to offer something better we could be a chance. You wouldn’t think west coast would stuff it up though. Geelong are really going to push them all the way for a good deal though.

As usual we had our chance to draft, rookie, let's not waste time and get the next Kelly, BHill, Yeo, McGovern. Some of the best players
are sourced from the second round, rookie draft and even from this State😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and to think in 2004, freo traded picks 11, 27 and 43 for Josh Carr in 2004, look how that turned out?

Given how universally awful the 04 draft was (Deledio, Roughead, Franklin and Lewis aside - all of whom were gone by what would have been our first pick), not as bad as it could have been in hindsight.

I saw it. The journalist asked “what is your problem with freo? He said I have no problem with freo, it’s just I’ve made a choice and for me that is west coast.

I think is it comes to it on the last day and still a a stalemate and we want to offer something better we could be a chance. You wouldn’t think west coast would stuff it up though. Geelong are really going to push them all the way for a good deal though.

Thanks D82. Wishful thinking by those on the Geelong board then I suspect. TK hasn't really said anything new at all there.

Given how universally awful the 04 draft was (Deledio, Roughead, Franklin and Lewis aside - all of whom were gone by what would have been our first pick), not as bad as it could have been in hindsight.
true, but we paid way overs.

pick 11 should of been enough. Maybe 11 and 27 had we made finals.

I would of rather of kept a pick or 2 to get a solid player at the time.

interesting proposal.....

Tim Kelly and Liam Henry would help us a bit.

Again, Freo are rumoured to get Nick Robertson from Brisbane and Blake Acres from the saints.

Both are 190cm mids. Make that what you will....

I really can not fathom why we’d be even the slightest bit interested in these guys. We’ve got Banfield that can’t get a game.

True, but Josh Carr only played 83 games for Fremantle in 4 years so the value of those 3 draft picks is also measured against that. There's a few 100 and 200 game players and some decent post draft picks in that same year (Betts, Gibson, Morris), but given we picked Copping and Stribling later on in the 50's and 60's - I guess we wouldn't have seen them either.

If we go to the draft with 2 top 10 picks, get Henry plus get Butters as academy players, Stephen Hill gets back on the park and Sturt and Valente have strong pre-seasons we are going to have the makings of a really solid list. We aren't going to be ready to go all the way until probably 21/22 so the last, the very last thing we want to do is spend the future bringing in someone of Kelly's age at top dollar.
Hopefully that kind of shortsighted strategy is well in the past for Freo.

So I've mentally checked out of this Tim Kelly trade situation but I'm now thinking through Geelong's general public posturing that they have a clear preference.

That is, to request an absurd trade demand from WCE, that is nearly impossible for them to fulfill so that this deal does not get done. Leaving Kelly having to consider one of the following options...

1. Sitting out and not earning big money in the prime of his career
2. Take his chances back in the draft and ending up on the Gold Coast
3. Re-signing a short term contract with Geelong

Of those three options, I'm fairly sure that Kelly would be most likely to continue playing for Geelong for one more season, it's the most known and secure option for him, despite him probably not being too happy about it.

Given Geelong are in such a narrow window at the moment, accumulation of draft picks really don't mean anything to them, but retaining Kelly for one or two more years is essential for their 2020 ambitions. If they fall short next year they can still trade Kelly at a great value.

So I've mentally checked out of this Tim Kelly trade situation but I'm now thinking through Geelong's general public posturing that they have a clear preference.

That is, to request an absurd trade demand from WCE, that is nearly impossible for them to fulfill so that this deal does not get done. Leaving Kelly having to consider one of the following options...

1. Sitting out and not earning big money in the prime of his career
2. Take his chances back in the draft and ending up on the Gold Coast
3. Re-signing a short term contract with Geelong

Of those three options, I'm fairly sure that Kelly would be most likely to continue playing for Geelong for one more season, it's the most known and secure option for him, despite him probably not being too happy about it.

Given Geelong are in such a narrow window at the moment, accumulation of draft picks really don't mean anything to them, but retaining Kelly for one or two more years is essential for their 2020 ambitions. If they fall short next year they can still trade Kelly at a great value.

If he ends up back in the draft it will only be one of the WA sides picking him. Other clubs won’t on compassionate grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back