Tim Kelly's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would he be kicking himself at the moment over his decision to leave Geelong? At the time he left he was arguably their best player and the difference between Geelong and West Coast in a semi final. Since his departure West Coast have fallen in a hole while Geelong are premiers.

Would he be kicking himself at the moment over his decision to leave Geelong? At the time he left he was arguably their best player and the difference between Geelong and West Coast in a semi final. Since his departure West Coast have fallen in a hole while Geelong are premiers.

There was no cloak and dagger as to why he left so as long as that need has been met and his wife and kids are happy, he’s probably not going to be feeling THAT bad. Footy is obviously important to him but not the major thing in his life

There was no cloak and dagger as to why he left so as long as that need has been met and his wife and kids are happy, he’s probably not going to be feeling THAT bad. Footy is obviously important to him but not the major thing in his life
He outright refused to be traded to Fremantle which is why I don't buy into the whole 'desperate to go home for family reasons' narrative.

Sliding doors moment. If Tim Kelly stayed, not only are we unlikely to be able to trade for Jeremy Cameron, but Cam Guthrie doesn’t go on to become an AA midfielder with increased opportunity (outperforming Kelly from 2020-22).

Kelly left for family reasons and I’m sure he’s comfortable with his decision, as are we with how it all panned out.

He outright refused to be traded to Fremantle which is why I don't buy into the whole 'desperate to go home for family reasons' narrative.

Bad blood between his wife and the Hill's (both at Freo at the time) was the rumour doing the rounds. That's why they weren't in the picture.

Anyway, s**t happens and you can't predict how these things will play out.

-Buddy missed out on 2 additional flags going to Sydney
-Deliedio missed out on the Richmond flags
-Griffin, Higgins, and Ward missed out on the Bulldogs flag

Heck you can make a case that Jordan Clark missed out on the flag going to Freo this year.

Go back far enough Garry Ablett sr missed out on flags going from Hawthorn to Geelong

History is littered with those decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t he go home so his partner and children (who are autistic) could be better supported by his family? I don’t think he’d have any regrets about his decision, he’s done the best thing for them and probably for his own life. It was a difficult position to be in and not something I’m sure he would have wanted to do in an ideal world where he thought things might have worked out if he’d stayed in a Victoria - though maybe not something understood by the Geelong fans who sent him abusive messages on Instagram

Believe it or not there are more important things in life than winning games of football

He has set himself and family up for life, he won't worry about "the what could've beens" until he retires. Both Freo and West Coast shafted him in the intial draft and he ended up at Geelong. They both had two picks each before Kelly went to Geelong at pick 24. As long as the bloke is happy back at home he should have another 4 years or so in the big time...Cats ended up with Jeremy Cameron, no Cats fan should ever boo Tim Kelly.

Sliding doors moment. If Tim Kelly stayed, not only are we unlikely to be able to trade for Jeremy Cameron, but Cam Guthrie doesn’t go on to become an AA midfielder with increased opportunity (outperforming Kelly from 2020-22).

Kelly left for family reasons and I’m sure he’s comfortable with his decision, as are we with how it all panned out.
Yeah I don't see the need for anyone to dredge up this s**t again.

If he's happy, WCE are happy, and Geelong are happy, then where's the problem?

He has set himself and family up for life, he won't worry about "the what could've beens" until he retires. Both Freo and West Coast shafted him in the intial draft and he ended up at Geelong. They both had two picks each before Kelly went to Geelong at pick 24. As long as the bloke is happy back at home he should have another 4 years or so in the big time...Cats ended up with Jeremy Cameron, no Cats fan should ever boo Tim Kelly.
We targeted talented KP talls that draft going with Brander and Oscar Allen ahead of Kelly. Brander didn't work out but hopefully we can build a forward line around O.Allen similar to the early 00s saints building around Riewoldt. I think all parties are extremely happy (with the Cats gaining Cameron too) and while we are completely utter s**t right now, we will be better having Kelly for the next 5-6 years. Congrats to you guys on the win too!

Sad Money GIF by G2 Esports

At least he didn’t leave in search of opportunity or a premiership medal at WCE

Bad blood between his wife and the Hill's (both at Freo at the time) was the rumour doing the rounds. That's why they weren't in the picture.

Anyway, s**t happens and you can't predict how these things will play out.

-Buddy missed out on 2 additional flags going to Sydney
-Deliedio missed out on the Richmond flags
-Griffin, Higgins, and Ward missed out on the Bulldogs flag

Heck you can make a case that Jordan Clark missed out on the flag going to Freo this year.

Go back far enough Garry Ablett sr missed out on flags going from Hawthorn to Geelong

History is littered with those decisions
Barry Young leaving Essendon after the 1999 season another example.

Shame about the Freo alleged clash of spouses. As a Sth Freo boy imagine him in this current developing Fremantle midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back