Tim Kelly's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad blood between his wife and the Hill's (both at Freo at the time) was the rumour doing the rounds. That's why they weren't in the picture.

Anyway, s**t happens and you can't predict how these things will play out.

-Buddy missed out on 2 additional flags going to Sydney
-Deliedio missed out on the Richmond flags
-Griffin, Higgins, and Ward missed out on the Bulldogs flag

Heck you can make a case that Jordan Clark missed out on the flag going to Freo this year.

Go back far enough Garry Ablett sr missed out on flags going from Hawthorn to Geelong

History is littered with those decisions

Was actually some beef with another player on Freo's list, but Freo got rid of him soon after anyway. TK never would've played with him.

Didn’t he go home so his partner and children (who are autistic) could be better supported by his family? I don’t think he’d have any regrets about his decision, he’s done the best thing for them and probably for his own life. It was a difficult position to be in and not something I’m sure he would have wanted to do in an ideal world where he thought things might have worked out if he’d stayed in a Victoria - though maybe not something understood by the Geelong fans who sent him abusive messages on Instagram

Believe it or not there are more important things in life than winning games of football
Spot on..... footy supporters can be absolute C*NTS throwing insults
As a father of a 14 year old, non verbal Autistic daughter ..... not having a strong family support structure around you is very very difficult. I went to Brisbane for a year for work and my wife and kids were with me... it nearly tore my family apart.... quit my job ( which was paying very good money) and moved back to Perth.

I doubt it. He wanted back home for legit reasons, he wasn't shopping for a flag. He is still a good footy player, just doesn't have the support around him.

He outright refused to be traded to Fremantle which is why I don't buy into the whole 'desperate to go home for family reasons' narrative.
Well Freo were a basket case, to be fair. At the time of his negotiations these were the types of headlines coming out about the club:

Chaos in the front office and a toxic culture at training: Why the Dockers had to sack Ross Lyon

Seems like he did his research if you ask me.

I think on balance he would still go home for his family even if he knew the Cats future achievement. There will be some melancholy but also happiness for his old Geelong team mates who worked so hard for that flag.
Given we played the 2020 grand final and lost to a dominant midfield display in the second half against your boys, I would say you are bang on with that assumption. He left us when we were challenging for a flag, it wasn't like we were on the way down.

I wonder if Tim Kelly regrets going to West Coast when he could have gone to Fremantle.
No doubt he'd be feeling regret when the reason he didn't go to Fremantle was because of Ross Lyon and Brad Hill, given they're both long gone from Fremantle.

Family should always come first before footy.

Geelong supporters should no longer be mad at Telly, they couldn't have gotten Jeremy Cameron without the picks they got from West Coast in this deal.

I wonder if Tim Kelly regrets going to West Coast when he could have gone to Fremantle.
No doubt he'd be feeling regret when the reason he didn't go to Fremantle was because of Ross Lyon and Brad Hill, given they're both long gone from Fremantle.

I don't think he regrets anything. He worked very hard for three years, got a massive retirement contract and cruises around. WC don't demand much from their senior players, they prefer to make excuses for them.

Geelong supporters should no longer be mad at Telly, they couldn't have gotten Jeremy Cameron without the picks they got from West Coast in this deal.
Without Cameron we don't win the flag last year so I'm very happy with how things turned out.

However I wonder how Kelly feels about choosing West Coast instead of Fremantle. Were Fremantle prepared to offer him big money like West Coast? I don't remember.

I don't think he regrets anything. He worked very hard for three years, got a massive retirement contract and cruises around. WC don't demand much from their senior players, they prefer to make excuses for them.
to be fair to him, he is probably the only one not needing an excuse.
His form would be AA contending if at a club with more than 1 win.

Without Cameron we don't win the flag last year so I'm very happy with how things turned out.

However I wonder how Kelly feels about choosing West Coast instead of Fremantle. Were Fremantle prepared to offer him big money like West Coast? I don't remember.

I don't think Freo were all that keen/bullish on Telly at the time, so it's rather a moot point tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree with that. He's been nothing more than a journeyman mid for them IMO.
Screenshot 2023-06-25 164343.png

Screenshot 2023-06-25 164417.png

His 2023 doesn't look out of place with a lot of the other dominant mids of the comp. He's doing this with no support either.
His WCE form on the whole isn't too far off what he did at Geelong, where he was top 5 BnF both seasons. He's been good for West Coast imo.

10th for Clearances. 13th for possessions.

View attachment 1721811

View attachment 1721812

His 2023 doesn't look out of place with a lot of the other dominant mids of the comp. He's doing this with no support either.
His WCE form on the whole isn't too far off what he did at Geelong, where he was top 5 BnF both seasons. He's been good for West Coast imo.

10th for Clearances. 13th for possessions.

Sorry you reckon Tim Kelly has been a dominant mid in the competition this year?

Sorry you reckon Tim Kelly has been a dominant mid in the competition this year?
No. He's in a side that's getting pantsed.
But my point was that he's one of the few not needing excuses made for him. His level has been more than good enough

You haven’t watched him at all have you 🤦‍♂️

Seriously if his team weren’t so terrible he would be in the AA squad this season at bare minimum and probably in the team. Has been terrific in a disgusting side

I don’t think many of us ever had a problem with it. He was going for a very understandable reason so no problem with it, I like watching him to this day

I don't think Freo were all that keen/bullish on Telly at the time, so it's rather a moot point tbh
That's because Kelly made it very clear he wasn't interested in going to Fremantle.
If Kelly was open/keen on a move to Fremantle, I'm sure the Dockers would have been open/keen to facilitate a trade and offer him a good contract.

Lol, gets more ball, more contested ball, makes more tackles, and has more clearances than in any season he ever played for us, and he’s doing it in a side getting pumped by a dozen goals every week.

In what world is he ‘just cruising around’
Clearly you have watched him this year. Thank you for your service by watching our Fitzroy in it's last year level shitness. Any quality midfielder in history would struggle in this level of s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back