Tim Kelly's regret

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if Tim Kelly regrets going to West Coast when he could have gone to Fremantle.
No doubt he'd be feeling regret when the reason he didn't go to Fremantle was because of Ross Lyon and Brad Hill, given they're both long gone from Fremantle.
I’m sure he does but his wife wouldn’t and that’s why he moved

So let me get this straight. Home for family reasons? Fair enough.

What's weird is that the Eagles had no competition during trade week and yet they've given Kelly a contract that is $1000,000-$1100,000 per year putting him in the top 5 highest players in the league.

That's amazing/hilarious.

So yeah, there's $1000,000-$1100,000 reasons why Kelly doesn't give a crap about how West Coast is going this year.

But she was homesick and wanted to be close to family
Kelly would have been open to playing for Fremantle if his wife was that homesick.

Why does Kelly hate Ross Lyon so much anyway?
I understand the beef with Brad Hill, but could never understand the beef with Ross Lyon.

Perhaps Freomaniac might know more?

Geelong suited him better.
‘He’d be regretful, especially when Geelong knocked over the premiership last year.
Money is nice but premierships are altogether differen.

Kelly would have been open to playing for Fremantle if his wife was that homesick.

I understand the beef with Brad Hill, but could never understand the beef with Ross Lyon.

Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

Here comes the "I remember in 2016....." post.....

‘He’d be regretful, especially when Geelong knocked over the premiership last year.
Agree but it worked out well for Geelong and Kelly. Without Kelly leaving we would not have secured Cameron and I doubt Cam Guthrie would have blossomed like he did in 2020-2022

I wonder if Vickery and Deledio have had their regrets over leaving Richmond, given Richmond won the flag the year after they both left.

I wonder if Vickery and Deledio have had their regrets over leaving Richmond, given Richmond won the flag the year after they both left.
Wonder no more Wonder Boy.
Deledio got the shits up big time. Refused to even watch the game, went to the zoo instead. You put 2 and 2 together there Wonder Boy. Deledio got his right whack.
Vickery, nice laugh but couldn’t tell you. Doubt he would have got a game so that would have cut worse than the 500k a year the Hawks offered.

So let me get this straight. Home for family reasons? Fair enough.

What's weird is that the Eagles had no competition during trade week and yet they've given Kelly a contract that is $1000,000-$1100,000 per year putting him in the top 5 highest players in the league.

That's amazing/hilarious.

So yeah, there's $1000,000-$1100,000 reasons why Kelly doesn't give a crap about how West Coast is going this year.
I'm sure deep down that Kelly is having his regrets.
You play footy to win and his team are going so bad right now, it's hard to see where their next win is coming from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy very clearly wanted to go back west. He was only at the Cats for two seasons, and IIRC he wanted out after year 1. I doubt he made very many strong connections with that attitude (that's no comment on his attitude btw). So I don't think there would be many regrets there.

He'll have footballing regrets but given the family situation he was in I'm sure they pale in comparison.

He played in 30 wins at Geelong in two seasons. He is now into his fifth season at West Coast, for 24 wins so far (12 of them in his first season).

Last edited:
What did Tim Kelly’s wife have against Ross Lyon and Brad Hill?
Not his wife but Kelly specifically
Apparently Lyon essentially told Kelly that he would never be an afl player in an interview and was very disrespectful towards him

Draft him in 2017 and we don't turn Adam Cerra into Jye Amiss.

Trade for him in 2019 and we miss out on both Hayden Young and Caleb Serong.

* I'm glad he only wanted to go to The Eagles!

Apparently Lyon essentially told Kelly that he would never be an afl player in an interview and was very disrespectful towards him
And I also don't think he has regrets tbh. Was given a lifeline mid-twenties from his 9-5 life beforehand that provides him with a far better income and moved home for valid family reasons.

Two kids pre-kinder with autism is tough on any parents. Other side of the country to family would make it worse.
He missed a flag but was given an AFL career. He'll retire contented imo.

He has set himself and family up for life, he won't worry about "the what could've beens" until he retires. Both Freo and West Coast shafted him in the intial draft and he ended up at Geelong. They both had two picks each before Kelly went to Geelong at pick 24. As long as the bloke is happy back at home he should have another 4 years or so in the big time...Cats ended up with Jeremy Cameron, no Cats fan should ever boo Tim Kelly.

I cant believe my name was tagged and I didnt reply. lol

So Heres the question people wanted to ask... Tim Kellys debut game for the cats, he was aged 23 years and 242 days.

So he was already 23 years old when he was picked up by Geelong as pick 24 in that 2017 draft.

Now People say Fremantle and West coast Shafted him.... SO why didnt anyone else get him in the previous AFL drafts like 2014 or 2015 or 2016?

But look at Tim Kellys WAFL stats in 2017 when he was drafted by the cats, then compare him to previous years.

Tim Kelly WAFL stats in 2017....
Games: 23
Goals: 26 goals and 14 behinds
Disposals: 604.

2016 WAFL stats
Games: 20
Goals: 9 goals and 11 behinds
Disposals: 406.

2015 WAFL stats
Games: 18
Goals: 5 goals and 15 behinds
Disposals: 336.

2014 WAFL stats
Games: 20
Goals: 10 goals and 15 behinds
Disposals: 443.

2013 WAFL stats
Games: 12
Goals: 5 goals and 8 behinds
Disposals: 228.

So in 2017.... Tim Kelly averaged 28 disposals a game...

2014-16 stats, Kelly averaged around 20 disposals a game.

Interesting story there...

Here is another Ross Lyon story too...

There was a specific player in late 2009 that trained with the saints. He didnt get picked up because Ross Lyon didnt rate him.

He trained with freo, got a contract with the dockers. He debut game was round 1 vs the crows. got like 30 odd disposals. Ironic as this player would play under ross lyon too

His name? Michael Barlow

I think if Deledio stayed he probably would have been watching 2017 anyway, he wasn't in good enough form and once he got injured again if he was still at Richmond I doubt he would have been able to get into the best 22.

Last edited:
I'm sure deep down that Kelly is having his regrets.
You play footy to win and his team are going so bad right now, it's hard to see where their next win is coming from.

Believe it or not I think some AFL players prioritise making as much money as possible from their career over winning a premiership.

If Kelly stayed at Geelong it doesn't automatically mean he plays in the 2022 grand final, he may have got injured..

I think if Deledio stayed he probably would have been watching 2017 anyway, he wasn't in good enough form and once he got injured at again if he was still at Richmond I doubt he would have been able to get into the best 22.

Had Reece Conca Stayed another 2 seasons, Conca would of just Sat on the bench in that 2019 AFL grand final going on how Tigers easily beat the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back