Senior Tim Membrey

Yep.
The best players to pick up are those who are squeezed out of a successful club because the incumbent players are superstars. Kennedy from Hawthorn to Sydney is a great example. Brett Voss to us (behind the Scott brothers).
The other type of great players to pick up are those at a club which is factional and imploding and delists players because of personalities. Brian Lake and Adam Cooney are 2 that come to mind. A bit odd but can play. Watch for Cooney to tear it up next year for the injectors. Cooney is up for a full pre-season and his knee is good.

Picking up spuds who can't get a game in the seniors (think all the Richmond rejects we have drafted) is not the way to go.

Membury is stuck behind the best forward line in 20 years so he is a coming to us for all the right reasons. He is a better prospect than any of the Adelaide blokes training with us or blokes like Savage.

So in order of preference:
  1. Gun who wants to return home for personal reasons (Judd);
  2. Gun who hates his coach and or club (Griffin);
  3. Gun who has been injured and needs a fresh start or isn't in the new coach's plans (Cooney);
  4. Kid with potential who is stuck behind a gun team (Membury, Kennedy);
  5. Kid with potential who is homesick (Boyd);
  6. Kid with potential who is stuck behind other gun kids (GWS and GC players);
  7. GOP who is out of favour with coach (Weller, McKernan);
  8. GOP who is stuck behind other players;
  9. GOP who needs a fresh start due to injury (Patrenko);
  10. Duds from another club that our previous recruiters picked up or coaches pushed for (insert anyone from Richmond, Peake, TDL....etc).
True mate:thumbsu:
That was like us with Jason Gram. You wouldnt call Grammy elite but for a few yrs he was an extremely good player for us. Not far off the Norm Smith in 09.
We basically got him cos the Lions were overflowing with A-Graders at the time and he couldnt get a sniff in.
Was a shame Gram went a bit pear shaped with his behaviour at the end of his career. Besides from that he was good for us.

tbarker

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
True mate:thumbsu:
That was like us with Jason Gram. You wouldnt call Grammy elite but for a few yrs he was an extremely good player for us. Not far off the Norm Smith in 09.
We basically got him cos the Lions were overflowing with A-Graders at the time and he couldnt get a sniff in.
Was a shame Gram went a bit pear shaped with his behaviour at the end of his career. Besides from that he was good for us.

Yeah - forgot about Gram. Great call. His 09 granny was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasnt he just going to walk into the PSD cos he was out of contract anyway? So Swans had no bargaining power.
Thats what i thought anyway?
Even if he had amazing form in NEAFL the Swans were never going to drop Buddy, Tippett, Ried or Goodes. As the Swans showed with Mitchell they dont throw a kid in to just give him a go. So Membrey wouldve spent another yr in the twos regardless of good form.
Yet they will prob need him in 2 yrs time.
Its good to see the Swans get shafted for once :p

Sydney didn't really have any bargaining power because they have taken players from the academy and were never going to use anything that we would give up anyway. They are getting a heap of good kids from the FS and Academy next year too so they aren't squabbling about a guy who was drafted late and has the same value as someone like Siposs has for us. He's an unestablished forward who is undersized. I think he should be a great get for us but the whole thing about Sydney giving us freebies is a bit over blown. I didn't see a heap of other teams demanding their second round pick be exchanged for him or I doubt he would be at the Saints right now.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

What the hell did you do with Gram's granny??? I must have come onto the Jimmy Savile forum by accident.

*It wasn't by accident

Sydney didn't really have any bargaining power because they have taken players from the academy and were never going to use anything that we would give up anyway. They are getting a heap of good kids from the FS and Academy next year too so they aren't squabbling about a guy who was drafted late and has the same value as someone like Siposs has for us. He's an unestablished forward who is undersized. I think he should be a great get for us but the whole thing about Sydney giving us freebies is a bit over blown. I didn't see a heap of other teams demanding their second round pick be exchanged for him or I doubt he would be at the Saints right now.
I think a little differently. I think we showed genuine interest in him a couple of yrs ago. And he has done very well biding his time in the NEAFL playing good footy. Knowing he isnt going to get a game no matter how well he played for a few yrs cos of Syd very expensive A-Grade fwd line.
I was under the impression that Syd & the other clubs knew he wanted to come to StKilda for more opportunity and cos we finished last he was prepared to walk and go in the PSD so no other clubs made offers.
Im not poo pooing on your post gringo:thumbsu: Thats just how i read the situation.

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

We've got a real problem barks.

I went, "oh I want to see his highlights, maybe it's on youtube", but it wasn't but what was there was all the goals from that game, and I thought to myself, "maybe I can watch that game now, I'll have a look"

Well guess what tbarker, I'm not over it, I can't watch the video without feeling sick and I put the blame squarely on you!

I think a little differently. I think we showed genuine interest in him a couple of yrs ago. And he has done very well biding his time in the NEAFL playing good footy. Knowing he isnt going to get a game no matter how well he played for a few yrs cos of Syd very expensive A-Grade fwd line.
I was under the impression that Syd & the other clubs knew he wanted to come to StKilda for more opportunity and cos we finished last he was prepared to walk and go in the PSD so no other clubs made offers.
Im not poo pooing on your post gringo:thumbsu: Thats just how i read the situation.

Hope you are right. I have a good feeling about Members. A mate saw him play as a kid in Gippsland and said he was one of the players he thought would go on to be a gun at AFL level. Still think Sydney didn't really squabble because they are like a fat man letting you have the last bite of his cupcake....after he's just been given another 10 boxes of them.

tbarker

Club Legend
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
We've got a real problem barks.

I went, "oh I want to see his highlights, maybe it's on youtube", but it wasn't but what was there was all the goals from that game, and I thought to myself, "maybe I can watch that game now, I'll have a look"

Well guess what tbarker, I'm not over it, I can't watch the video without feeling sick and I put the blame squarely on you!

sorry mate. I fell off the wagon. booked in to see my therapist on Monday. It happens.

Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-16/thanks-for-the-membrey

This is about the 6th article I've read about Tim which has made me super impressed about the guy and very happy that we have picked him up.

All you can ask of someone who pulls on the jersey is that they give it their all and leave nothing in the tank at the end of a game. This kid is doing all the right things and that is even before the season let alone on match days.

I think he'll be an impressive addition to our list and will make a real impact next year in the fwd line. If I was Siposs and Lee I'd be a tiny bit worried....

crasha301

worm farmer
Sep 21, 2014
The Farm
AFL Club
St Kilda
At work this morning on smoko I started to talk footy with the new bloke who just started monday, turnes out his good mates with tim and they played alot of jnr footy together!

Some things he told me!

Membry played alot of ruck as a jnr ( had his growth spurt early)
Tough as nails
a real team player!
humble
best mate is Nick Graham ( played all there footy together untill drafted)

My co-worker caught up with him last time he was in traralgon and said his ready to explode!

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
At work this morning on smoko I started to talk footy with the new bloke who just started monday, turnes out his good mates with tim and they played alot of jnr footy together!

Some things he told me!

Membry played alot of ruck as a jnr ( had his growth spurt early)
Tough as nails
a real team player!
humble
best mate is Nick Graham ( played all there footy together untill drafted)

My co-worker caught up with him last time he was in traralgon and said his ready to explode!
Sounds good. Really happy with the pick up of Tim.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went to have a look for Membrey's TAC Cup stats earlier and found another article that mentioned that he captained Gippsland Power in his final year of TAC Cup footy, which I had forgotten and I don't think has been mentioned- in this thread at least.

As for his TAC Cup stats, he played an impressive 15 games as an "underager", in 2011 and kicked 34 goals (including two bags of 6 and two of 4) and then played 13 games in 2012 and kicked 45 goals, including 8 in the prelim- while carrying an injury- 4 goals 3 in the grannie and bags of 7 and 6 earlier in the season and 4 in their earlier final. :thumbsu:

In that other article on him (just after he was drafted) he said that he had been trying to model his game on Sydney's Ryan O'Keefe and that when he got to Sydney he would "follow him everywhere he went" to learn all his tricks. http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=69677&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=21415374

"Medium forward that kicked 54 goals at TAC Cup level this year (Gippsland Power & Vic Country), outstanding overhead mark and long accurate kick for goal. His 20m Sprint time of 3.00 secs at the Draft Combine was impressive."Tim Membrey was a bit of a Luke Parker situation where you’re just sitting there and thinking what’s happened here. We just felt he’s too good a player to go past. Tim’s going to have to learn to adjust his game, he’s just over 190cm, he’s going to have to come up the ground and play a bit higher, but we know he can kick goals and we know he’s talented,"Sydney Swans Recruiting and List Strategy Manager, Kinnear Beatson."

From afl.com.au - Oct 4, 2012

Also funny to see who they listed as "in the mix" for him in this article from the "Pick Me" series, in the Hun that year: Carlton at 11, GWS at 14, Kangas at 15, Freo at 17 and WB at 22! :Dhttp://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/power-forward-tim-membrey-makes-a-such-an-impact-that-hes-expected-to-go-round-one-in-draft/story-fnau1fjg-1226514700180

Tim Membrey
Position:
Medium Forward
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 88 kg
Club: Gippsland Power/Traralgon
Plays like: Jack Darling with some serious ink. Membrey is a powerful forward who is a superb kick for goal. He's very good one on one and kicked eight goals in a TAC Cup final.
Who wants him: Do Geelong need some help for Tom Hawkins in attack? Membrey could complement their All Australian forward - taking on James Podsiadly's role - for the next decade. Pick No.16 might be considered overs but he won't be there when the Cats go again. Adelaide, if they're allowed, could replace Kurt Tippett with the Victorian product.
They said: "He's just such a magnificent kick and has such good hands - he's just such a 'true' footballer. He has a really good footy brain and I think he'll be a terrific player wherever they want to play him." - Gippsland Power region manager Peter Francis.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dep...around-australia/story-fna8vsun-1226516211468

Last edited:

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Membrey:

Kicked the 5th most goals of any player in the NEAFL during the past two seasons. 97 goals in 33 games.

Averaged 112 CD points across his 17 NEAFL games and ranked equal 2nd in the comp for forward 50 looseball-gets, 4th for forward 50 disposals and 8th for forward 50 marks.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Tim Membrey stats file for his 2 games for us:

image.jpg

I find it rather deceiving as I'd love to know how many pressure acts he's had. He's been solid so far & will only get better with more games.

Yeah I was hoping the plan was to get Membrey into the midfield a bit because that way we can play all of Paddy, Bruce, Hickey and Membrey in the same team. If Membrey is only a permanent forward that makes it tough. Really hope we pull it off.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Membrey also has the body to be a tough as nails enforcer in the midfield. He is as wide as he is tall and has nothing slight about his frame. Would be a hard matchup on opponents off half forward for sure.

Back