Senior Tim Membrey

Remove this Banner Ad

FOXSPORTS - Tim Membrey says young forwards can lift St Kilda into finals

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tim...s/news-story/24cb4e8c36b571f38544079ea86ebc51

ST KILDA’S young forward unit must step up if the Saints are to make the 2017 finals, says Tim Membrey.

Coach Alan Richardson has tinkered with his game plan over summer to try to implement a more direct style that makes greater use of the centre corridor. The bolder approach will put more pressure on the Saints’ forwards, but Membrey says they’re up for the challenge.

“If we want to look to bridge that gap and want to play finals, that’s something you’ve got to improve on,” Membrey said.

“As a young forward line, we want to take those responsibilities and get better week in, week out.

“We want to be bold with our ball movement and look to go quick ... it’s something we’re trying to improve on.”

St Kilda finished ninth last year, outside the eight on percentage only, and has been widely tipped to break into the finals for the first time since 2011.

As the club’s leading goalkicker in 2016, Membrey’s ability to take his game to the next level will be key to St Kilda’s hopes.

The 22-year-old enjoyed career-high output, kicking 44 goals from 17 games, and could expect more attention from defenders this season.

e420be1c7f6aba8931c6fd94ae6b789a

Former No. 1 draft pick Paddy McCartin will also have a big say in the Saints’ fortunes.

The 20-year-old was restricted to 11 games last season as he battled concussion issues and a broken collarbone, but had enjoyed a stellar preparation for 2017.

“I reckon he’ll have a breakout year,” Membrey said of his teammate. “He’s had a really good pre-season with his running as well so look to see him get busy up the ground.

“He’s in super nick ... he gives us a lot of confidence that he’s going to give a big contest.” Injured veteran Leigh Montagna was on light duties on Tuesday at training, but remains on track to throw off his calf complaint before Round 1.

AFL.com.au - Young Saints forward striving for further improvement

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-28/young-saints-forwards-striving-for-further-improvement

AFTER a breakout year in 2016, St Kilda forward Tim Membrey knows he will need to continue improve to combat the attention he's likely to cop from opposition defenders.

Membrey entered last year having played 13 career games across three years with Sydney and the Saints and had just nine goals to his name.

He had spent much of the pre-season running laps as he recovered from a right shoulder reconstruction, but it proved to be a blessing in disguise, allowing him to build his tank.

And those results showed on the field.

timmebreytraining350.jpg

He wouldn't play a senior game until round six but he immediately made an impact, booting five goals against Melbourne.

Membrey continued that form throughout the season and finished with 44 goals from 17 games.

The 22-year-old spoke at Seaford on Tuesday and said he, along with fellow big men Josh Bruce and Paddy McCartin, needed to improve if the Saints were to make the finals for the first time since 2011.

"If we want to look to bridge that gap and want to play finals, that's something you've got to improve on. As a young forward line, we want to take those responsibilities and get better week in, week out," Membrey said.

Doing what worked for him last year will be how the forward deals with opposing teams putting more time into stopping him. Membrey was often able to play as a third tall, with his running power allowing him to push far up the ground, while his marking and kicking skills also impressed.

It was a tactic that worked for him in last Thursday's JLT Community Series win over Port Adelaide, when he slotted three goals and looked dangerous working with Bruce and McCartin.

"I'll just try to focus on how I go about things, working together with the other two talls down there," Membrey said.

"If I do get a bit more attention, I'll sit down with 'Sammy' (assistant coach Aaron Hamill) and we'll try to work through things."

Veteran Leigh Montagna had his right calf strapped after a strain but took part in some of training. The club hopes he will be fit for the final JLT Community Series match against Sydney in Albury on Sunday, March 12.

"He managed to get out there for the back of our session today and like always, was being vocal and getting around a lot of the boys," Membrey said.

Meanwhile, key defender Hugh Goddard did repeat running efforts along the boundary as he continues to rehabilitate from a torn left Achilles tendon. He likely won't be seen until the middle of the season.

SAINTS.com.au - Forward synergy the focus says MEMBREY

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-02-28/forward-synergy-the-focus-says-membrey

488533.jpg

Budding St Kilda star forward Tim Membrey is determined to build on his breakout 2016 campaign by becoming one component of a more efficient and damaging forward setup this season.

The 22-year-old was one of the most improved players in the AFL last season, emerging from almost anonymity to back page newspaper spreads on the back of booting 44 goals – the most at the club – from 17 games, including four bags of five goals.

Membrey, who finished 9th in the Trevor Barker Award last year, says the Saints collection of young tall forwards, which also includes 2015 leading goalkicker Josh Bruce and prized No. 1 pick Paddy McCartin, is continuing to learn the nuances of each other’s games and that will continue to be a key focus in 2017.

“I’ll try and just focus on how I go about things and just work together with the other two talls down there,” Membrey told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

“We’re really starting to create a bit of synergy working together with the other forwards down there. So we want to keep on improving that with the other talls and smalls as well.

“I think if we want to bridge that gap, and if we want to play finals, then that’s something we’ve got to improve on as a young forward line; we’ve got to take those responsibilities and just get better week in week out.”

While the Saints are well stocked in the offensive key spots, with champion forward Nick Riewoldt still present, the club is also overflowing with small and medium-sized forwards who can’t all fit into Alan Richardson’s best 22 at the same time.

Membrey believes the ferocious competition for spots is healthy for the club on the eve of a season where the Saints are eager to return to September for the first time since 2011.

“I think it’s a good thing we’ve got a lot of good players who can put their hand up if needed so it’s a healthy competition in the forward line, and also across the board as well,” he said.

“We’ve got plenty of guys who if they get an opportunity they will grab it with both hands.”

SAINTS.com.au - McCartin has laid the foundations says Membrey

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-02-28/mccartin-has-laid-the-foundations-says-membrey

Mobile key forward Tim Membrey is confident fellow spearhead Paddy McCartin has given himself the best chance to make an impact this season by compiling a strong pre-season on the track.

McCartin, 20, played 11 games in his second season in 2016, although despite showing glimpses of brilliance, the 2014 No. 1 pick endured an injury-riddled year with concussion issues and a broken collarbone holding him back.

But after weaving session after session together this summer, Membrey believes the Geelong Falcons product is ready to roam further up the ground in 2017 and provide a strong leading target to hit.

“He’s had a really good pre-season, so look to see him get busy up the ground, take some big grabs up on the wing and then hopefully be a dangerous target for us up forward,” Membrey said at a press conference on Tuesday.

“He’s in super nick, it’s certainly good for the midfielders, he gives us a lot of confidence that he’s going to provide a big contest and hopefully take more marks.

“What he shows at training and what he shows in games is he’s a big, strong target and he takes a great mark.”

After undergoing a shoulder reconstruction at the end of 2015, Membrey followed a modified training pre-season program that focused heavily on running while he was away from the main group.

The results that followed have been widely documented. Membrey produced a breakout 2016, kicking the most goals at the Saints to go with a top-ten finish in the Trevor Barker Award.

South Australian inside midfielder, Luke Dunstan, has followed the template left by Membrey this summer and on the back of a small sample size, the results are already encouraging.

“I had a little bit to do with ‘Lukey’. (He had a) similar injury to what I did two pre-season’s ago,” Membrey said.

“I think it’s just a good program that the conditioning guys have setup, you get a bit of running in – a lot more than you would like at times – but it’s obviously going to hold him in good stead for the season going forward.”

With almost a clean bill of a health at Linen House Centre, dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna is one of the few injury concerns at the minute.

The 33-year-old strained his calf in the days before the intra-club but is expected to be fit for Round 1.

“He looks really good, he managed to get out there at the back of our session today and like always he was vocal and getting around all the boys,” Membrey said.

“He’s in good spirits and hopefully he’s ready to go for Round 1.”

Tim has been pretty good most of the year so far except surprisingly his kicking for goal has let him down so far . For a guy that almost couldn't miss last year he's only been going a bit over 60% this year. But he has played a lot more up field than he did last year mainly because Roo hasn't been fit enough to play the wing role he played last year so Membrey has had to lead further up the ground than he used to . He has played every game so far though.

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

Tim played a really good last quarter against the Dockers taking some great marks including one where he outmarked three opponents and then kicked the goal . He helped win the game for the Saints . We need him to have some of that form for the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim having a press conference before the Melbourne game.
https://shar.es/1TPnzA

Sent using ShareThis

Funny watching him trying not to laugh as he basically gets question after question about if Roo will be able to play this week especially after he answered the question the first time . You can see him thinking I just answered that bloody question lol.

I tend to think Tim is older and more experienced than he actually is probably because he came from the Swans or something lol. He was is a great kick at goal , moves very quick in the forward flanker/pocket type role . Has also spent times at full forward which just shows how versatile he has become. Seems to have good chemistry with Josh Bruce especially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back