Senior Tim Membrey

Remove this Banner Ad

Big game with Rooey out this week. I reckon he'll kick a bag. 5.1 coming up.

I would like to see him do a Plugger and smash his previous best . In case you dont remember when Plugger was young and just starting for about half a season he couldn't get past the 6 goal mark in a game . Then one day he got a huge bag and never looked back . He then went on to kick 8 goals or more an amazing 51 times in his career. I can see Tim being able to kick some big bags eventually once he can break his 5 goal hoodoo . Obviously he won't do it as many times as Plugger but a few would be nice .

c7461d4a130a34f5caa9c159de2a5357.jpg

69ed707e753ff8bbfd7c13157610f956.jpg

5786f18527d6f7fc7330b1f2758fa5c3.jpg

Last edited:

No matter how many you’ve done previously, pre-season doesn’t get any easier, says St Kilda mobile forward Tim Membrey.

Following a year where he kicked the most goals at Linen House Centre for the second successive season, Membrey began his sixth AFL pre-season on Monday morning.

“You think they do (get easier) every time you’re coming in, but they don’t; they are just as hard,” Membrey told reporters at a press conference in St Kilda on Tuesday.

“I remember the first one was brutal and then yesterday reminds you that they don’t get any easier.”

Excited, not daunted by the challenge says Membrey

Membrey, who played one game for Sydney before arriving at the Saints at the end of 2013, followed up his breakout 2016 with another impressive year in 2017.

The 23-year-old finished with 38.14 from 20 appearances across the winter and recorded the second-best conversion rate of the top 50 goalkickers in the game, finishing behind Melbourne rising star Christian Petracca at a stunning 73.1 per cent.

If he can bank another full summer on the track, Membrey is confident he can take another step forward in 2018.

“I do (feel like I’m poised to take the next step),” he said.

“I’ll have another strong pre-season and look to hopefully improve some areas of my game and look to take the next step again ahead of Round 1.”

How many kilometres have the recruiters covered to get to the draft?

Membrey said the disappointment of missing out on playing finals again, after looking on track to feature in September following the big win over Richmond in Round 16, is something that will motivate the group over another long, hot summer in Seaford.

“It was pretty tough. Obviously that’s what you play footy for, to play in September,” he said.

“It has pretty hard to swallow at times, but I guess going away over the break it burns in your belly and I guess that’s what gives you a bit of fire to come out and have a solid pre-season and hopefully play in September next season.”

Paddy McCartin has the potential to be a "scary" proposition for opposition defenders, his St Kilda teammate Tim Membrey says.

McCartin, 21, has been restricted by concussion and other injuries since he was drafted with the first selection in 2014, but has impressed many at the club with his fitness recently.

Since suffering his sixth concussion since 2014 in June, McCartin has worked on his running and ran a personal best time in a 3km time trial a fortnight ago.

Membrey told reporters on Tuesday he was excited about the prospect of McCartin filling the void left by retired champion Nick Riewoldt.

"I personally am his (McCartin's) No.1 fan," Membrey said.

"I love him and think that he's going to be a superstar.

"He's clearly putting in the hard yards now and the rewards are starting to show, just in his aerobic capacity and his body now.

"I just hope that he gets a clear run at it, no injuries and I personally think he could be a bit scary."

Being anointed Riewoldt's successor is a tough assignment – the six-time best and fairest booted 718 goals in 336 games.

However, Membrey believed the improvement of a young side could make up for the former captain's absence.

"(Riewoldt's) made it pretty clear that Paddy's the one to come in and make a big stamp on this team," Membrey said.

"We're excited, we're young down there. Starting to get some experience as well, with guys like Josh Bruce and Mav Weller. It's exciting and it's fresh."

David Armitage and Jade Gresham were among a small group on slightly limited duties at training.

Armitage played just twice this year after having two groin surgeries but completed a running session on Monday, while Gresham is recovering from his own groin operation.

Mobile spearhead Tim Membrey is eyeing another complete summer as he looks to build on the form that has entrenched himself inside St Kilda’s attack in the past two years.

The 23-year-old has booted the most goals at Linen House Centre in each of the last two winters, finishing with 38.14 last year after kicking 44.18 from 17 games in a breakout 2016.

Just like he has done in each of the past two pre-seasons, Membrey is determined to complete as much of the summer program as possible.

“For me, it’s just been about backing each session up; I haven’t missed a session this far and it’s something I’d like to do this pre-season,” Membrey told saints.com.au on Wednesday.

“If you can back up session after session, I think it builds good endurance and makes your body resilient for the year ahead.”

With champion centre-half forward Nick Riewoldt in the early stages of retirement, and currently living in his wife’s home state of Texas, the Saints have a big hole to fill inside 50.

Membrey said young key forwards Paddy McCartin and Rowan Marshall, mobile forward Josh Battle and small forward Jack Lonie have taken strides forward in the first half of the pre-season.

“We’ve got a big task ahead of us without 'Rooey' there anymore,” Membrey said.

“I think there are a lot of guys who are starting to take steps forward and really starting to take control of the forward line.

“Guys like ‘Lone’s’, Paddy, Joshy Battle and Rowan Marshall are all starting to step up.”

After managing one senior appearance across two opportunity starved seasons at Sydney, Membrey has played 49 games in his first three years at the Saints, including 37 of the past 39 games.

Can he be the player that elevates his game to the next level in the absence of Riewoldt?

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might have only been at the club for a handful of sessions, but St Kilda’s new goal kicking coach Ben Dixon is already having an impact, according to forward Tim Membrey.

While Membrey has had little trouble with his conversion over the past couple of seasons – he has kicked 82.32 in the last 24 months – the Saints were ranked last for conversion in 2017 and made to pay for their inaccuracy on several occasions.

Membrey revealed Dixon’s program focuses on a combination of technique, repetition and mental aptitude that has been implemented into training during the pre-season.

“Ben came in and presented to the group before Christmas. There’s a bit of technical, a bit of mental, but really it’s just about putting the work in,” Membrey told saints.com.au on Wednesday.

“If you’re really serious about it, then you’re not just going out there and blazing away, you’re getting yourself into the routine, focusing on what works for you.

“A big factor is taking shots under fatigue. Now in training, when a drill finishes we stride over and take shots while we are fatigued, which focuses on getting your body used to calming yourself down and executing.”

Renowned for his pristine accuracy during his 203-game career at Hawthorn, Dixon spent three years working part-time at Collingwood, alongside his media commitments with Fox Footy and Crownbet.

Despite being the most reliable set shot at Linen House Centre, Membrey is still determined to make the most of his chances in front of goal.

“I guess for me, it’s more about (working on) the mental side of things,” he said.

“I know my routine is structurally pretty sound, it’s just about when I am kicking for goal I’m fresh in the mind and having that dominant thought that I can execute.”

A St Kilda forward line without champion Nick Riewoldt will function differently in 2018, says mobile forward Tim Membrey.

Membrey has become a permanent fixture in Alan Richardson’s attack in the past two years, kicking the most goals at Linen House Centre in 2016 (44.18) and 2017 (38.14).

The 24-year-old said the retirement of the six-time Trevor Barker Award winner, along with Senior Assistant Coach Rohan Welsh moving from defence to attack has created changes.

“We’ve tweaked a few things in our game plan as a forward group this pre-season,” Membrey told Melbourne radio station SEN on Wednesday.

“Something comes up in every session how we can improve, so it’s been really good having our new coach Rohan Welsh down there.

“Younger guys have really stepped up this pre-season like Jack Lonie and Josh Battle.”

With St Kilda ranked last in the AFL for scoring conversion in 2017, the Saints signed former Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon in December to help improve the Saints’ goal kicking.

Membrey, who has been one of the few Saints to make the most of his opportunities in front of goal in recent years, said Dixon’s program has made a instant impact at the club.

“He’s been a breath of fresh air, coming in and putting a new goal kicking program in front of us,” he said.

“He’s been going really well, working closely with guys like Jack Billings, Jade Gresham and Joshy Battle.

“The guys have really jumped behind it and we’re getting plenty of shots in. it is a crucial part of the game and at times the pressure can build.

St Kilda spearhead Tim Membrey says the next generation at Linen House Centre has stepped up in the absence of retired royalty, dragging the playing group through another long, hot summer in Seaford.

Six-time Trevor Barker Award winner Nick Riewoldt and two-time All-Australian Leigh Montagna hung up their boots at the end of last season, while stalwart defender Sean Dempster called time on his ultra-reliable career earlier in the year.

“Those guys were a massive influence on the club in the way the lead over a long period of time,” Membrey told Melbourne radio station SEN on Wednesday night.

“Now it’s about the young brigade coming through who are driving the club to where we want to be and that’s to win a premiership.

“There’s been a real improvement in everyone buying in to get to where we want to.”

Membrey, who has played 37 of the past 39 games after breaking his way into Alan Richardson's best team, said the best lesson Riewoldt taught him was to never use feeling less than your best as an excuse for poor performance.

“I remember early on when I first got to the club (he told me) there’s going to be days where you’re not feeling 100 per cent,” Membrey said, “there’s going to be times where you’re coming off a poor sleep or something during the week that prevents you from giving 100 per cent at training, but you’ve got to give 100 per cent on game day and give everything you possibly can.”

Membrey has kicked the most goals at the Saints in each of the past two seasons, booting 38.14 in 2017, after finishing with 44.18 in a breakout 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back