Senior Tim Membrey

Remove this Banner Ad

AN OFF-SEASON spent training with some of St Kilda's best runners has helped set Tim Membrey up for a big 2018 as he aims to cover more ground and make life tough for opposition defenders.

Membrey was the Saints' leading forward in 2017 with 38 goals, but his running power is likely to see him push up the ground as a hybrid forward this season, leaving Paddy McCartin and Josh Bruce as deeper marking targets.

The 23-year-old hoped his ability to set new personal running benchmarks this summer would translate on field as he covers more ground in the post-Nick Riewoldt era at St Kilda.

"I trained quite a lot with Jarryn Geary, Dylan Roberton and Jack Steven in the off-season, and training with those guys through the week and trying to keep up with them has helped me improve," Membrey told AFL.com.au.

"Since the start of pre-season I've been able to do the majority of my running in those groups as well, so that does help.

"I've been able to run personal best times and then improve in the gym and that's what you want to do each year coming into pre-season … keep improving and just get fitter and stronger."

Membrey is one of the Saints' most powerful athletes, with elevation that allows him to play deceptively tall and a combination of endurance and repeat speed that allows him to run opponents off their feet.

His emergence as an elite runner can be traced back to a shoulder operation at the end of 2015 and the non-contact pre-season that followed, with his ability to cover the ground in training and on game day now similar to the Saints' midfielders.

Riewoldt spent much of his final season pushing onto a wing and using his running power to present as a marking target, and Membrey is ready to fill a similar role in 2018.

"I remember at the start of last year, me and 'Roo' had a big chat about that sort of positioning," Membrey said.

"Being able to get up the ground and help our mids and help our backs, and then as soon as the ball gets turned over you're already in a good position where you're off your opponent and you can be used as an outlet.

"So I guess finding marks up the ground that way and then re-setting on your opponent and trying to lose them through all the junk and the noise and find yourself open inside 50."

Membrey has also focused on building his leadership capacity this pre-season and helping the club's young forwards, like McCartin, develop.

With 82 goals across the past two seasons and an accurate set shot, he shapes as one of the Saints' most important players as the club seeks a finals spot for the first time under coach Alan Richardson.

"The last two or three years I've been able to put some consistent football together and I think being able to do that is something I'm very proud of and something I want to keep doing," Membrey said.

"Now it's about dragging the younger forwards along as well. We want to be a consistent team, so we want as many players as possible playing good footy.

"If we're able to do that, hopefully we'll be able to play finals."

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tim played against the Giants but only had the 6 disposals and kicked two behinds . I think his knee problem has taken away his running power and his ability to jump for marks. He is a shadow of the player he has been over the last two years. Probably was rushed back into the side too early because of the dire straits they have been facing.

Go Saints

Played against Freo.

Membrey’s game was superb except for his misses, providing a focal point and attacking marking contests fiercely.

"Tim’s historically for us, been as good a kick as we’ve had. He’s having some issues with his set shots there’s no doubt about that," Richardson said.
He kicked 1.5 for the game.
"He’s an outstanding contest player Tim, he’ll work through this.

"He’s hurting, we’re hurting. They are opportunities he’d normally nail. No one works harder on their skill, his is marking and kicking and leading. He’s a real pro so that will turn.

Go Saints

St Kilda spearhead Tim Membrey booted a career-high six goals straight as a resurgent St Kilda gave West Coast a late scare in Perth.

The 24-year-old’s struggles in front of goal have been well publicised in 2018, but after slotting the Saints’ second late in the opening term, Membrey went on to convert another five, nearly doubling his season goal tally.

Staring down the barrel of a 48-point deficit coming into the final quarter, the Saints could easily have rolled over and conserved their energy.

But senior coach Alan Richardson’s message to his chargers in the three-quarter time huddle was simple.

“There were two choices,” Richardson said.

“We could try and dig a hole for ourselves and just hope the siren went and get on the plane with our tail between our legs, or we could fight.”

Dare SOTD: Tim Membrey

And with that, the boys in red, white and black refused to lie down, and an inspired, albeit unlikely comeback, was all of a sudden on the cards.

Membrey led the way, nailing three goals and setting up another as the rampaging Saints clawed their way back to get within 12 points in a stunning seven-goal-to-one finish.

Go Saints

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda has locked away two of its most important players with Jimmy Webster and Tim Membrey inking contract extensions this week.

Turning his back on free agency, Webster has signed a three-year extension that will see him remain in red, white and black until at least the end of 2022.

The 25-year-old emerged as one of the Saints’ best in the first half of 2018 before being hampered by a minor groin injury.

The elite ball user has played 82 games since being drafted with pick 42 in the 2011 AFL Draft, excelling in the past two seasons as the Saints’ quarterback out of defence.

Membrey’s signature on a two-year contract extension ensures he will remain with the Saints until at least the end of 2021.

The mobile forward has topped the Saints’ goalkicking charts in the past two seasons and has again been the club’s spearhead this season.

Despite being just 24 years of age and a veteran of only 67 games, the young forward has emerged as one of the Saints on-field leaders in 2018.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said the pair were key signings for the club.

“Jimmy and Tim have both become extremely important players for us and future leaders, so to have them both committed to the Saints long term is exciting.”

“The pair are really close mates and have a big influence on our entire playing group on and off the field.”

Lethlean said individually they had both stepped up this season.

“Jimmy is a courageous player who is a strong one-on-one defender but also someone who sets us up with his kicking skills,” he said.

“Tim has enjoyed a strong second half of the season and continues to lead a very young forward group.

“Both guys will continue to improve in the coming years, which is exciting for Saints supporters.”

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back