Free Agency Tim O’Brien [FA signing for 2 years at the Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Good get (given he was free in terms of trade capital) IMO.

Whilst Hawthorn supporters consistently wanted him dropped and have dubbed him 'almost' O'Brien for his penchant for dropping mark of the year most weeks, I think he is somewhat underrated. To elucidate, O'Brien has a prodigious leap, which allows him to get to the ball when others would not. O'Brien would get the long ball kicked in his general direction whilst typically outnumbered (as forwards often are). If Lewis, Kochitzke or other forwards were in the position that O'Brien often was, they wouldn't have made it to the ball and an intercept mark would have been the result. Hawthorn supporters would bemoan the kicker or the forward set up rather than the forward himself. Due to his ability to leap higher than most, O'Brien would get hands to it even when starting 2-3 back or being stuck under the ball. Whilst he would not complete the mark, the ball spills to ground and allows a contest for the forwards. Hawthorn supporters end up frustrated about a 'dropped mark' that most other forwards wouldn't have got their hands to in the first place.

As such, when he has gone back and been part of the outnumber (instead of being outnumbered) he has taken and held marks with ease.

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting he is a star that will dominate but he is a more useful player than the whipping boy that has been chastised by many Hawthorn fans.

Of particular use to the Dogs, is that he provides depth across the field, in that he can play down back, play up forward and even pinch hit in the ruck due to this leap. Best position is as an interceptor but can be swung around to fill holes created by injury or if particular match ups are not working during a game.

In all:

Strengths:
Athletic - high leap, good below his knees, quick
Neat skills
Good set shot
100% effort, follows instructions and is team oriented (will throw himself at everything just so the ball can be tapped or spill in the direction of a team mate - like a tall Duryea).

Weaknesses:
Confidence - Once he starts to doubt himself, things go downhill fast. When his marking was publically scrutinised, he suddenly couldn't even hold simple uncontested ones. As a key defender (from a few years back), if his opponent got a few cheapies, he can start to panic a bit.
Sometimes decision making (under pressure)
Can follow instructions too rigidly IMO (which is why he didn't work that well as a lockdown key defender as he lost his natural attacking instincts in going for the ball and focussed completely on his opponent which doesn't suit his strengths).

Dogs using him as a spare man/interceptor in defence is a very good idea IMO and then putting him elsewhere as needed. So long as his instructions are clear and his positional variations only fleeting so that he doesn't lose confidence/get confused. Tell him to attack everything in his vicinity and you have a very useful player regardless of stats.

Would not be surprised to see him excel and I hope (assuming Hawthorn is not in contention) that the wins a flag at the Dogs.
He should love the license Bevo gives his defenders.

I disagree with us not receiving any form of compensation pick.

The AFL likes to hide behind the rules around awarding picks for compo, surely they should have a slight bias towards assisting the lower teams get better sooner if that meant giving us lowest compo possible, better than the nothing we got.

I disagree with us not receiving any form of compensation pick.

The AFL likes to hide behind the rules around awarding picks for compo, surely they should have a slight bias towards assisting the lower teams get better sooner if that meant giving us lowest compo possible, better than the nothing we got.
2 years on a small contract. What were you expecting? You didn’t even offer him a contract.

2 years on a small contract. What were you expecting? You didn’t even offer him a contract.

He was in a 'wait and see' approach to a new contract.

As I stated, even the lowest of compensation should be awarded if the AFL wanted to assist the teams at the bottom with rebuilding.

2 years, small contract, no compo, OK, no worries. Sets the standard then.

Good pickup by the Bulldogs

Gives them depth up forward if a key big man goes down like Bruce did

Now to pick up Ladhams and you have yourself a great pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back