Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

O’Brien has afl attributes which he is beginning to bring together. Hope he co to use his improvement. Good reasons to be hopeful :)
Woudln't be amazing if he got to 50 games and turned out to be a serviceable player if he's allowed to settle into a position this year!

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Woudln't be amazing if he got to 50 games and turned out to be a serviceable player if he's allowed to settle into a position this year!

Like so many I have hoped against all hope TOB could become a player for us.
2018 preseason he did all the prep to become a Defender. A defender role was ordained.
Then we hit the season, injuries occur and the plan went out the window as did his form.
They have tried it again this year, and we are starting to see some fruits, some consistency.
Just one bad decision yesterday, otherwise extremely solid.
Keep going Tim !!!! (And it is Tim from now on, not Timmy !!!)

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Like so many I have hoped against all hope TOB could become a player for us.
2018 preseason he did all the prep to become a Defender. A defender role was ordained.
Then we hit the season, injuries occur and the plan went out the window as did his form.
They have tried it again this year, and we are starting to see some fruits, some consistency.
Just one bad decision yesterday, otherwise extremely solid.
Keep going Tim !!!! (And it is Tim from now on, not Timmy !!!)

It's "Tim time" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Few more games as Timmy, imo. :)

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's "Tim time" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Few more games as Timmy, imo. :)
O'Brien Time has a nice ring to it.

tool-time-with-tim-the-tool-man.jpg

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice article on TO and his confidence growing as a defender. Another good game back there I felt - looked lost when swung forward though. I think he definitely has a potential future as a defender though.

https://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-05-21/obrien-starting-to-believe
Not surprised he mentioned a lack of self belief as one of the issues he's had to overcome. Tim's slowly getting there, he reads the drop of the ball well and seems to pick the right moments to zone off and attack the footy but his composure is still a bit iffy. It's almost the final piece of the jigsaw for him. Hope it all comes together for him

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'll call a spade a spade and say he's played a solid month, I hope we don't rush into giving him a deal though, want to see consistent performances for an extended period of time before anything like that is announced.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'll call a spade a spade and say he's played a solid month, I hope we don't rush into giving him a deal though, want to see consistent performances for an extended period of time before anything like that is announced.

Sign him up now for another 2 years while he is still cheap.
The cupboard is pretty bare for guys that play CHB, FF, CHF, Ruck.

Seriously though, we should be extending him if his form over the next 6 weeks, while we are getting smashed out of the middle with BB out, continues on the upward trend.

I think the bold move would be to lock him in there for as long as possible & watch the continuity develop with a consistent back 6.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sign him up now for another 2 years while he is still cheap.
The cupboard is pretty bare for guys that play CHB, FF, CHF, Ruck.

Seriously though, we should be extending him if his form over the next 6 weeks, while we are getting smashed out of the middle with BB out, continues on the upward trend.

I think the bold move would be to lock him in there for as long as possible & watch the continuity develop with a consistent back 6.

Not sure "as long as possible". Hopefully he strings more games together and makes a permanent backline spot his own. He's played really well of late. Hopefully not asked to be jack of all trades with BB out, but he may be up to the task

Not sure "as long as possible". Hopefully he strings more games together and makes a permanent backline spot his own. He's played really well of late. Hopefully not asked to be jack of all trades with BB out, but he may be up to the task
Agreed.

I don't think he will be up to the task & throwing him 'round will ruin his continuity as a CHB. We need to leave him there & lump rucking on someone else. He's lacked confidence in the past & has strung together a couple of confidence-building games - there's no way we should mess with that now.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed.

I don't think he will be up to the task & throwing him 'round will ruin his continuity as a CHB. We need to leave him there & lump rucking on someone else. He's lacked confidence in the past & has strung together a couple of confidence-building games - there's no way we should mess with that now.

Yep. Only problem is, if you're called to go, you've got to go. Would prefer that stability, but duty calls when it calls.

The one thing that differentiates Tim from guys like Schoe and Watts is that he can show intensity at the contest.

He's good from a skills point of view, and he is really durable and a great athlete. If he can continue this upward trajectory, he could be a very solid player.

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He always looked like he could make it as a defender. Has been very slow to develop but he is getting there, wouldn't be surprised to see him go forward in a season or two if we brought in an experienced good KPD but I think Clarko will keep him on the list and keep him as a KPD. Starting to believe in himself a little bit.

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
Easily playing the best footy of his career so far at the moment. No threat of being dropped after one bad game has surely helped his confidence. He's getting it done at ground level and linking up at the moment like I never thought he would. If he can continue to develop like this we will have a very good flexible backman on our hands for the next 5 years.

He is getting better and better every week. Every mistake is exaggerated because of the history.
He is a ripping young man. Clarko believes. Tim might also one day !!!
It is all about self belief.
He's starting to

Kenyan

All Australian
Jul 5, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nice article on TO and his confidence growing as a defender. Another good game back there I felt - looked lost when swung forward though. I think he definitely has a potential future as a defender though.

https://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-05-21/obrien-starting-to-believe
Great to see Tim repay the faith the club has shown in him. Physically he looks much stronger this year, just needs to clean up the mistakes - playing on a regular basis will help in this regard.

Back