Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
He won't be playing forward, is the mail.

So at least we have given up on that experiment after the 6 years he's been on the list, not sure where he can break into the senior team in defence though. Seems to be suited to a Sicily type role in the VFL, I can't see him being an outright KPD at AFL level.

So at least we have given up on that experiment after the 6 years he's been on the list, not sure where he can break into the senior team in defence though. Seems to be suited to a Sicily type role in the VFL, I can't see him being an outright KPD at AFL level.
He trained almost all of last preseason with the defence, then as the year progressed he was used forward with a smattering of quarters in the back half. Not ideal for someone who had set themselves to play back and learn it.

When he went back into defence in the VFL he was very good and became a key part to Box Hills push for the flag with his intercept marking across the defence.

If he could transition this belief and form to AFL we’d be very pleased.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are he and Scrimshaw after the same spot? Both agile 2nd/3rd tall types? Will be interesting to see who gets a gong first.

JD1992

Debutant
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are he and Scrimshaw after the same spot? Both agile 2nd/3rd tall types? Will be interesting to see who gets a gong first.
I don't see Scrimshaw as a 2/3 tall. He hasn't got the body strength or the height for that role. He is a mid size defender with good foot skills, possible get stints in the midfield or wing.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors,Chicago Bulls
He trained almost all of last preseason with the defence, then as the year progressed he was used forward with a smattering of quarters in the back half. Not ideal for someone who had set themselves to play back and learn it.

When he went back into defence in the VFL he was very good and became a key part to Box Hills push for the flag with his intercept marking across the defence.

Fingers crossed as it has been a slow burn, we have certainly seen signs.

In an ideal world Timmy could cover the Sicily role as intercept marker, then Sicily could play anywhere from high half forward to deep at times, then our forward line looks better.
We would still miss Sicily's kicking out of defence so whether a Scrimshaw can cover that (with Burton gone) is a question mark.

Lots of unknowns in all that so really spit balling here, the first step would be Timmy contributing in the seniors as a defender.

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors,Chicago Bulls
I don't see Scrimshaw as a 2/3 tall. He hasn't got the body strength or the height for that role. He is a mid size defender with good foot skills, possible get stints in the midfield or wing.

Nailed it, nice size, but I think will be a Birchall type early, with fitness could be a midfield option in the longer term.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

This is what I am hoping. He’s a great kick and I think his groundball work is pretty good too. Pretty hard back six to crack into at the moment though

Can you imagine what a difference it would make if those 'almost' marks became marks?

Tantalisingly close, yet still...not here
Shows how much of it is above the shoulders, as he takes them at VFL level.

Shows how much of it is above the shoulders, as he takes them at VFL level.

He takes them in pissing rain at VFL level! I agree with your post and have been saying it for months, Tim will be a defender and if he can continue his late season form in the VFL, Clarko will clear a spot for him in the AFL.

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Twin attack down back with Sic. I like it.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Which is exactly the role Sicily plays so I still don't see him breaking in, but I'm not going to complain if he's a decent depth option in defence.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Timbo on his 4th make or break season.

If he becomes the defender we need then put Sicily up forward again. Sicily killed it as a forward in his first couple of seasons.
No way! Sicily has shown he can play at AA level as an intercept defender. Until he can play to the same standard as a forward -he hasn't yet, consistently at least- then we'd be losing out playing him up forward.

Besides we already have a similar-yet-better player in Gunston up there and the fact we often see Gunnners in defense suggests Clarko feels out backline needs stiffening. If Timmy O'Almost can make it as a defender then great (personally won't hold my breath), otherwise he's wasting a list spot. Sicily is way too valuable down back at this stage and he isn't the gorilla forward we need.

One of our list's biggest issues is Clarko has prioritized versatility over genuine height. Gunston, Sicily, O'Almost, Frawley, Stratton, even Roughead, none of these guys are above 195cm. No wonder guys like Harry Taylor & Alex Rance routinely murder us, particularly so since Hale retired. That's why I like us playing Ceglar & McEvoy to ensure one of them's usually stationed inside 50.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
He’s just not good enough in the contest to be a kpp - doesn’t have the appetite or the body. He’s best when he can go up 3rd man up or slide in from side, but doesn’t hit packs hard enough to play a Gibbo role nor has good enough footskills/run to play as a flanker. Sicily just does everything TOB can do (except ruck) better.

Similar to brand, as we have limited kpp options we’ll keep trying to trying to make it work for Timmy. He has some tools but appears to be missing some of the crucial ones to make it st AFL for his position.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No way! Sicily has shown he can play at AA level as an intercept defender. Until he can play to the same standard as a forward -he hasn't yet, consistently at least- then we'd be losing out playing him up forward.

Besides we already have a similar-yet-better player in Gunston up there and the fact we often see Gunnners in defense suggests Clarko feels out backline needs stiffening. If Timmy O'Almost can make it as a defender then great (personally won't hold my breath), otherwise he's wasting a list spot. Sicily is way too valuable down back at this stage and he isn't the gorilla forward we need.

One of our list's biggest issues is Clarko has prioritized versatility over genuine height. Gunston, Sicily, O'Almost, Frawley, Stratton, even Roughead, none of these guys are above 195cm. No wonder guys like Harry Taylor & Alex Rance routinely murder us, particularly so since Hale retired. That's why I like us playing Ceglar & McEvoy to ensure one of them's usually stationed inside 50.

100% this, exactly the reason why TOB won't play senior footy unless we have injuries, surely Clarko doesn't take Sicily out of defence foe his inconsistent performances up forward.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Well... Scrimshaw and O'Brien are same height actually, and Tim certainly won't be getting games due to his superior body mass. I don't really know Scrimshaw's game that well, but he's described as an intercept and rebound type.

I really believe in Tim. Does 99% of the work, just needs to honour it.

Back