Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Flag08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You’d think Frawley, Hardwick, Stratts and Siss are locks for the back 6 even though Chip was ordinary this year. Then you have question marks over TOB, Miles, Birch, Scrimmers and Brand for the rest.
TOB is handy in the air but isnt a runner and isn’t a clever kick. He tends to just thump it long instead of picking out a teammate.
We are desperately short of run and carry off half back unless Birch miraculously winds back the clock. We might look at Smith off half back if we can get Scully on the park.

You’d think Frawley, Hardwick, Stratts and Siss are locks for the back 6 even though Chip was ordinary this year. Then you have question marks over TOB, Miles, Birch, Scrimmers and Brand for the rest.
TOB is handy in the air but isnt a runner and isn’t a clever kick. He tends to just thump it long instead of picking out a teammate.
We are desperately short of run and carry off half back unless Birch miraculously winds back the clock. We might look at Smith off half back if we can get Scully on the park.

We're not moving our best goal kicking midfielder to the HBF.

In terms of having attacking half backs; Sicily, Impey, Scrimshaw, Birchall aren't bad options.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We're not moving our best goal kicking midfielder to the HBF.

In terms of having attacking half backs; Sicily, Impey, Scrimshaw, Birchall aren't bad options.

We did it multiple times last year.....and I absolutely hated it.
Hope it doesn't get repeated as Smitty tends to just fade out of the game when down back.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would much prefer to see Scrimshaw get a go than O’brien this year. They are both the same size and both great marks however, Scrimshaw appears to be a much better kick and clean in traffic too. Timmy has had a lot of chances so I think if Scrimshaw is keen then he should get the nod first. Scrimshaw also seems to be more versatile, appears capable of playing both as an intercept defender and a dashing half back like Birch, something Timmy can’t offer.

Would much prefer to see Scrimshaw get a go than O’brien this year. They are both the same size and both great marks however, Scrimshaw appears to be a much better kick and clean in traffic too. Timmy has had a lot of chances so I think if Scrimshaw is keen then he should get the nod first. Scrimshaw also seems to be more versatile, appears capable of playing both as an intercept defender and a dashing half back like Birch, something Timmy can’t offer.

Again, different players.

Tim played as a KPD at Box Hill and wouldn't be played as an intercepting defender at AFL level.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Again, different players.

Tim played as a KPD at Box Hill and wouldn't be played as an intercepting defender at AFL level.

Where do you see Tim playing at AFL level then? I can’t see him being a KPD and you say he isn’t an intercept defender so the only other option would be to play him up forward. I just can’t see him being a big key forward and so the only other position he could play is a half forward which he is already behind Gunston, Wingard (if we play him forward) and even Nash IMO.

Where do you see Tim playing at AFL level then? I can’t see him being a KPD and you say he isn’t an intercept defender so the only other option would be to play him up forward. I just can’t see him being a big key forward and so the only other position he could play is a half forward which he is already behind Gunston, Wingard (if we play him forward) and even Nash IMO.
CHB or not at all, IMO.

Feb 26, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He needs to grow a huge set immediately and demand Schoenmakers spot. That's where he was drafted to play and that's where his opportunity will be. He needs to understand where he sits and whats he needs to do and leave it all out on the track every session.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He needs to grow a huge set immediately and demand Schoenmakers spot. That's where he was drafted to play and that's where his opportunity will be. He needs to understand where he sits and whats he needs to do and leave it all out on the track every session.

He clearly has talent, the part about growing a set is where it falls down for me though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmaniac

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn

We need it as a team, but I don't see him delivering it. Sadly he's just a bit undersized, and he feels it, and believes it, and the opposition do too.

I watched him in Launny put in a putrid, non-competitive performance (his last game for the year?) against the Lions. He didn't believe, just going up one handed with a token effort bringing the ball to ground with no genuine attempt to mark. No marks for the game, playing at CHF.

Maybe he can reinvent himself down back, maybe after another year or two he might gather some more confidence (and put on a little size, but he is genuinely undersized physically, it can't all come out of a gym) and go back forward.

I will believe it if/when I see it.

Feb 26, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need it as a team, but I don't see him delivering it. Sadly he's just a bit undersized, and he feels it, and believes it, and the opposition do too.

I watched him in Launny put in a putrid, non-competitive performance (his last game for the year?) against the Lions. He didn't believe, just going up one handed with a token effort bringing the ball to ground with no genuine attempt to mark. No marks for the game, playing at CHF.

Maybe he can reinvent himself down back, maybe after another year or two he might gather some more confidence (and put on a little size, but he is genuinely undersized physically, it can't all come out of a gym) and go back forward.

I agree with all of that. I was a believer in him early days but it hasn't happened. I guess my post was really saying that if he doesn't make huge inroads this year any excuses or justifications as to why he didnt make it he'll be telling to his mates at the pub. Really hope he brings it this year and gives himself the best opportunity.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Still don't see it. Never have. Above average talent and athleticism alone, aren't enough.

Too nice and seems to lack self confidence to take on an opponent, let alone a game.

Has been in the system for 6 years now. Purely depth for 2019 then delist.

images

driftyhunter

Team Captain
May 7, 2011
The Beach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tokyo Goannas

agree with all of that.
For me TOB just lacks mongrel.
He can just go through the motions, not super fussed win lose or draw but still chipper to be picked in the ones.
Some players are just competitive beasts... don’t think that’s TOB.
Can’t change that easily

Not at all. Given too many chances and delivered SFA.
Still don't see it. Never have. Above average talent and athleticism alone, aren't enough.

Too nice and seems to lack self confidence to take on an opponent, let alone a game.

Has been in the system for 6 years now. Purely depth for 2019 then delist.

I don't understand this mentality. Players should be given their chances up until the point they're delisted. There's no reason to write off a player when they still have at least 22 rounds of opportunity.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
ability-wise he is ok, people saying he has great talent are a bit over the top, mentally he is too sheepish, in fact he makes Jack Watts look like a warrior in comparison, he has too many feminine personality traits and not enough masculine personality traits.

on the field it might be good for him to play defence as he is a follower not a leader and it might negate his often "GONE MISSING" for long periods, but his laconic style as a defender will lead to him not manning up and allowing his opponent off the leash im pretty sure.

i guess Clarko likes him for depth and wants to give him another chance after he performed decently in the VFL finals series.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This thread needs a bump to go with the Melbourne game for 2019.

Still in the Timmy train....

Almost at the magic 50 games & his first game last week was pretty solid.

I am still a believer that he is a forward who was late to the Clarko defender apprenticeship.
Previously he was the high flyer that tried to take a hanger every time it came in. I think now he has some more composure & maturity to read the play better to take those grabs.

Playing back he looks good bit with the forward structure, to me, looking in a shambles he & Lewis need to be our FF & CHF who can compete in the air for the high ball to bring the other guys into the game.
Sure they will drop a few but if we aren’t getting rebounded on with intercept marks we are a 4-5 goal differential better side.

With what looks to be almost a full strength side with Chip & Mitchell not playing, Tim gets another crack to prove to himself he belongs.

Anyway... keep chugging Timmy!

Toot toot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back