Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
He looks much more like an AFL player doesn't he. Maybe Boyd conditioned him to add 3-4 kgs so he could compete one on one in marking duels not on the air where he was always pretty good if allowed to jump.
He may even start to accelerate out of the corner with the handbrake off if he keeps this up.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Confidence and self belief was always the thing holding him back. It was just a matter of time with him and I can understand why so.many posters lost patience. Thank goodness the coaching staff didnt.

I think his skill set is better suited to defence, but would love to see him play (or swing) forward from time to time once he has a solid season or two behind him.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's great to finally see him get some confidence and continuity in his game this season.

While he still has a long way to go and alot to prove let's hope that he continues his current trajectory and we all get to see what he's capable of.

The club has shown great patience and persistence with him and can't wait until it reaps the rewards.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Solid again on the weekend, Going for his marks and taking the game on, is starting to develop his confidence,
I can see him holding down chb for the rest of year, If we can get a frawley replacement at full back in the off season
I can see timmy apart of our back 6 moving fwd!

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
fonzie-effusion21.jpg

Nah, never happier than when a Hawk getting their wings proves me wrong

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
While I'm not saying Tim has Trent Croad's level of talent/ability.. his career path could plot a similar trajectory. Trent took a long time to become a true footballer. But once he did, he became a massively good player as a defender. It was fairly late in his career too.

Only making this comparison because Tim has similar natural athletic traits, and has teased with the same 'almost' output for a while. Trent had a very different frame, and freak level ability to run, jump and kick (albeit, not with huge accuracy). But he would run and carry as well as any KPD during his prime.

Body type obviously very different, but I think if O'Brien had been built like Croad, he would have done a lot better as a forward already.

But you can't deny Tim's physical attributes and skill level, and the glimpses, and now more consistent level of output. I'm really enjoying this new instalment of O'Brien in the seniors either way. I think he has AFL level talent in a lot of different directions, just a matter of it all clicking completely.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Toot Toot

Seems the Timmy train is filling up :)

It has taken longer than anyone would have liked but it would be fair to say that the patience & faith shown is starting to pay off.

If his development continues at his current rate we have our CHB for the next few years secured.

Toot Toot

Seems the Timmy train is filling up :)

It has taken longer than anyone would have liked but it would be fair to say that the patience & faith shown is starting to pay off.

If his development continues at his current rate we have our CHB for the next few years secured.
If only you showed this sort of loyalty to the rest of the blokes that pull on the jumper

I call it as I se it Gralin.
As for the personal swipe; You know where you can put that one mate... in the deleted bin as inappropriate content
I'm happy you've stuck by Tim just wondering why half our premiership players don't get the same support from you.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm happy you've stuck by Tim just wondering why half our premiership players don't get the same support from you.

If by half you mean Smith (long bomb & run a long way) who is well down, Poppy who is good at chasing people, Breust (elite small forward but IMO has a history of going missing for to long in games), Gunston (top 10 forwards in the comp who has been hot & cold playing as a utility) & Stratts who has been nothing but ordinary to date this season & in my opinion a very poor choice for an interim captain; I guess I don’t show the same because I expect leaders to lead & none of them are.
My posting history would suggest that I have been consistent on Smith & his bs forward entries for at least 18months; his game will not change & does not help the forward structure at all.
Poppy has been declining & still has moments but he is playing because Cyril retired I believe. If that didn’t occur he would be depth & playing off the bench at best.
Breust is “elite” in his role but I find it difficult that his strength as a small forward is opportunistic in the forward structure as it currently played but given space his leading & work rate are far better. If he is only played in that one role in a dysfunctional structure then trade him out for someone that fits the team structure better.
Gunston is flat out being used wrong. I don’t care what anyone says or how flexible he is (which is a credit to him as a footballer both in skills & smarts) he is & can be in the top 5 every year for the Coleman. If we can’t use this guy in his most damaging position because of failures elsewhere then trade him out as well to secure midfield dominance as we have Siciy who could also be that top 5 guy if used as a pure forward, Lewis coming on & if rumours are true Patton then Gunston becomes a very valuable commodity for multiple or a very high draft pick (something that is desperately needed in the midfield - ala another Hodge selection)
Stratts.... FM... just a bad selection for a captain. His season has been poor, last season was back to his normal output but the thing for me this year in the current game is he is a stopper & that is it. There is next to no rebounding from him & no real contribution other than a couple of switch kicks, a mark or 2 & a good tackle. It just doesn’t make sense in modern football to have such a negative type player with little else to offer.
As for Tim, I got to a point last season where I had all but given up as he wasn’t providing enough as a forward. I had banged on about him as a lead up FF but with the way Hawthorn play that was never going to happen anyway & he didn’t show that at BH either so I guess I was wrong. The move back (which was earmarked last season til injury forced the fwd/ruck role) has been fantastic for him & the club & when paired with Brand at BH they are quite a good combination with some symmetry & I look forward to seeing that translate to Afl.
I hope that is a good enough explanation as to why I post the way I do & will probably keep those views until something changes.

Toot toot

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
He certainly is a lot better in defence, however, he still has a case of the "almosts," which puts a lot of teammates under pressure as he should be clumping them.
He is also very prone to kicking to where the player has been, not where they're going, which slows down the break (When it isn't turned over)

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon he’s got his size right. Always a skinny kid but he’s looking good now.
Well done Hawks for sticking with him and getting his body spot on.
Good leap, good skills and a footy brain. He’s going to be handy for awhile.
Cheers mate.

Yeah he's not a fwd, so it was hard to keep the faith when he couldn't perform in that role week in week out.

Fingers crossed he keeps improving.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He certainly is a lot better in defence, however, he still has a case of the "almosts," which puts a lot of teammates under pressure as he should be clumping them.
He is also very prone to kicking to where the player has been, not where they're going, which slows down the break (When it isn't turned over)

He held a few good overhead marks in the last few weeks. Hopefully with more consistent time in the seniors he will develop more confidence and become more reliable overhead. If he could sort that out, could he perhaps get some more opportunities up forward in the future.

I generally find Tim’o to be a pretty reliable kick.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tim's decision making with ball in hand is still iffy but he's picking the right moments to zone off his opponents and impact the play. TOB's kicking is technically as good as anyone on our list, he just tends to bite off more than he can chew.

Back