Tim Paine caught in sexting scandal, resigns as Test Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was a pom I'd be highlighting that Pat isn't such a cleanskin - he was a bowler at the time of sandpapergate so surely knew the ball was being tampered with. All 4 bowlers were very lucky to escape any criticism from that.

So why were dale steyn philander and morkel able to escape being labelled as cheats?

Their team has been caught multiple times cheating so if our bowlers surely knew then steyn surely knew yet unlike with our quicks its never even mentioned that steyn and others benefited and must be complicit from faf's multiple attempts to cheat.

I'm not saying Paine isn't struggling.

What I was trying to get across is that the mental health card gets regularly played these days by sportsman who have messed up.

Player gets done for drink driving, mental health. Player gets into a pub fight, mental health issues.

Let's face it, unless you're a complete psychopath, anyone in Paine's situation would be struggling.
The thing with sportspeople is it's all played out in public, the media and social media descend like locusts, judging, condemning, demanding "justice" and certain "punishments" to be imposed, because - community standards!!

No mention of forgive and forget, it's pay pay pay forever. Look at Steve Smith, four years on and many are outraged that he's been made vice-captain - "Should never be captain again!!!" o_O. (They stop short of completely cancelling him as he's a darned good player, and the team needs him playing ... :rolleyes:)

How long before Paine can go out in public again without a pile-on from the "virtuous"?

People downplaying Paine's mental health should imagine themselves in his position after the week he's had and see how they'd be holding up at the end of it. Are we so devoid of empathy these days that we can't understand how he might be struggling? Ffs!
I think the issue is, feeling bad after having to face the consequences of a bad decision is normal human behaviour. Mental health issues didn’t cause the bad behaviour in the first place. That doesn’t prevent us from having some empathy, but neither does it preclude being responsible for one’s behaviour.

People downplaying Paine's mental health should imagine themselves in his position after the week he's had and see how they'd be holding up at the end of it. Are we so devoid of empathy these days that we can't understand how he might be struggling? Ffs!

He'd be struggling alright, no doubt about it.

I used to do a lot of root cause analysis back when I worked for a living.

I don't think it would take a Rhodes Scholar to get to the root cause of Tim's problem.

Having said that, the subsequent pile on and his employer throwing him utterly under the bus in what was little more than virtue signalling is an utter disgrace.

The thing with sportspeople is it's all played out in public, the media and social media descend like locusts, judging, condemning, demanding "justice" and certain "punishments" to be imposed, because - community standards!!

No mention of forgive and forget, it's pay pay pay forever. Look at Steve Smith, four years on and many are outraged that he's been made vice-captain - "Should never be captain again!!!" o_O. (They stop short of completely cancelling him as he's a darned good player, and the team needs him playing ... :rolleyes:)

How long before Paine can go out in public again without a pile-on from the "virtuous"?
I agree with you.

But that's pretty much happens when you're a well paid public figure.
They come after you.
Not saying it's right, but that's what happens.

Just saying, IMO, the mental health issues card is played out too frequently.

He'd be struggling alright, no doubt about it.

I used to do a lot of root cause analysis back when I worked for a living.

I don't think it would take a Rhodes Scholar to get to the root cause of Tim's problem.

Having said that, the subsequent pile on and his employer throwing him utterly under the bus in what was little more than virtue signalling is an utter disgrace.
Corporations, companies are s**t scared of any flack and tend to over compensate.

Looks like the Australian Captain get's picked on his public image these days.

I think the issue is, feeling bad after having to face the consequences of a bad decision is normal human behaviour. Mental health issues didn’t cause the bad behaviour in the first place. That doesn’t prevent us from having some empathy, but neither does it preclude being responsible for one’s behaviour.
This is where the beast of the media machine comes in though. Being shamed in front of millions in perpetuity is not something which is part of the natural human experience and even for celebrities it's taken on a new dimension.

Is bearing the wrath of modern social medias judgement really a proportionate part of taking responsibility for what Paine did? If it was any random bloke they wouldn't have the extra dimension.

This is where the beast of the media machine comes in though. Being shamed in front of millions in perpetuity is not something which is part of the natural human experience and even for celebrities it's taken on a new dimension.

Is bearing the wrath of modern social medias judgement really a proportionate part of taking responsibility for what Paine did? If it was any random bloke they wouldn't have the extra dimension.
I largely agree with this. But let’s not forget, the rewards of being a sportsman are not proportionate either. It’s a high risk, high reward lifestyle.

Shaun Pollock, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis are good examples of fast bowlers being good captains of their country. Throw in Imran Khan as well. I think this is a good change and Pat has a good tactical brain from all reports. He won't wear himself out bowling I would think because he has to balance the responsibility out. Short sharp bursts with the ball.

You eat red meat every day then after a while chicken may look good.
Yeah that chicken looks like it’s been stuck on the grill for a week too long.
Dont think anyone is touching them fillets or breast if they getting steak at home.
Poor Timmy must be a VERY hungry man.
Starving in fact!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but that’s insulting to all people suffering mental health.
He willing went to lengths to do something that’s not only wasn’t his wife, but a colleague. Then to get it quietly settled and to captain is another thing.
Finally it’s public knowledge, and Paine is struggling? It was always at the back of his mind. Struggling with what? The actual consequences of being a professional sportsman doing such a public thing.
Feel for the female who had to be quieted so that Paine can have his career advanced. Typical male behaviour.

FMD, I do not doubt for one moment he struggling mentally badly. Just have to read some of the out of touch and crazy reactions to know if he heard half the s**t that out there, would do his head in. The worst part is probably most of the speculation would be way off reality but most people will think it is the reality and with media s**t storm and cricket board bullshit and most of crap he has to deal with is probably not in proportion to what really went on in their real lives.
He and his wife will never be clear of the nonsense even though in their own relationship they dealt with real life stuff years ago.

I really don't understand why people are outraged that he's decided to take some time off for the sake of his mental health? It's not "playing the mental health card" or blaming his behaviour on a diagnosed mental health condition. He's publicly saying he and his family are overwhelmed by the attention and are doing what's right for them. How is that not considered OK?

I will say though we should spare a thought for the woman involved in this and her mental health, the amount of people desperate to find out who she is so they can somehow gauge whether she is attractive enough to warrant paine acting so foolishly is disturbing as is the people convinced with zero proof she is a gold digger who is somehow to blame for paine's own actions.

paine messed up(and does appear to have genuine remorse) and paid a very very heavy price and he and his family should be left alone now and this woman is not a public figure and should be also left alone.

I really don't understand why people are outraged that he's decided to take some time off for the sake of his mental health? It's not "playing the mental health card" or blaming his behaviour on a diagnosed mental health condition. He's publicly saying he and his family are overwhelmed by the attention and are doing what's right for them. How is that not considered OK?
This is probably the best way to explain it. In attempting to better deal with mental health issues, we’ve broadened the term so much that it risks losing some meaning. Being held to account for you poor behaviour is not a mental illness but it’s perfectly fine to say something is overwhelming and you need a break.

These days it seems as though the media play a judge, jury and executioner. They blatantly sensationalise almost every issue for clicks and to rile up people.

is it time to try and get our own back on the media? is there a way we can dig up dirt on journos and put them up? feed news corp journos info on the daily mail crew and vice versa?
That would be good to see.

Yes, yes, women are just waiting for for men to send pictures of their dicks but don’t know how to start the conversation. You utter nimrod. Have you ever had a conversation with a real human woman?
Let's put it this way, have you had to wait for your partner ( whoever that may be at the time) to actually utter the words 'let's have sex'. Ok, personally, for me, a couple of times, when I was a bit slow on the uptake but 98% of the time, I've dropped my daks she's seen my dick without ever actually mouthing the words 'show me your dick'. Again I have never sent a dick pic but when two people are sexting then dick pics are bound to happen.

Sorry, but that’s insulting to all people suffering mental health.
He willing went to lengths to do something that’s not only wasn’t his wife, but a colleague. Then to get it quietly settled and to captain is another thing.
Finally it’s public knowledge, and Paine is struggling? It was always at the back of his mind. Struggling with what? The actual consequences of being a professional sportsman doing such a public thing.
Feel for the female who had to be quieted so that Paine can have his career advanced. Typical male behaviour.

Most mental health is caused by situational stimuli...exactly what Paine is experiencing.

Paine has been treated disgracefully.in saying that, he has made the right decision to stand down.

Any dropped catch, bye, failure with the bat, would have ratcheted up the pressure as the mob lights its torches....

Society is a disgrace.

This is probably the best way to explain it. In attempting to better deal with mental health issues, we’ve broadened the term so much that it risks losing some meaning. Being held to account for you poor behaviour is not a mental illness but it’s perfectly fine to say something is overwhelming and you need a break.

I disagree with that. Most transient mental issues that people may experience are often bought about by situational stimuli.

One person may lose their job or a relationship may breakdown. This can cause mental health issues depending on the individual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back