Tim Paine

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably moot anyway, if he stays in the Test team I doubt he'll play for Tassie again this summer, unless they pick Wade for the ODIs in which cases the problem will solve itself.

I'm guessing given the shifting role of ODI opener (we've tried Warner, Finch, Head, Khawaja, Shaun Marsh and Cartwright in the last 12 months), they might give Paine a go in the limited overs stuff as well.

wade woulda missed that stumping

cQzTUBvZntoAAt6p0KN16IB2hzEvp1OUxrNhIAPic4NMhY4xL7X4W_L5zRcCoItJT6_8OR8EarUKkt6EGQGeNxeytSkMl1eH90_dCTE=w320-h180-nc

Remember that dude that used to keep for Australia? What was his name again? Oh that's right, Wade. :)

Wade must have lost the photo he had of the selectors as he was no good. Played far to many games for the standard he displayed.

Bet England wish we picked the other guys.
Two crucial reviews he lead last Test when game in balance and this arvo steadied the ship and got us back on track. Type of leadership Smith needed to help mould this team a bit more into winning ways.

I wondered what had happened to Paine..but I think a broken finger derailed his career. Made a nice comeback and is a quality player. Some said he was past all that but he looks the goods to me hope he can keep it going. One thing about keepers is there is only one. I kept at first grade level and the opposition keeper was Phil Emery. I thought I was better but I can assure you you have never heard of me. His fathers position in cricket admin may have helped. Many keepers have gone interstate to further their careers and get a shot at first class cricket. Ian Healy got a nice ride thanks to Greg Chappell etc. etc. Remember playing a game in Perth where Kevin Wright was the keeper and Rod Marsh stood at first slip. Wright played 10 tests for Australia during WSC but had to go to SA to continue his career as Marsh came back into the WA side. There are probably 3/4 keepers who could make the grade at Test level in any era....and politics and opportunity does the rest same at State level.

...come on, man.
Oh Ok I WAS better...better bat as well. Phil Emery was a fat private school boy who's old man helped him into the NSW shield team and Test team. The fact he was a New South Welshman the epicentre of Australian cricket would have helped also. There WERE better keepers in Sydney Grade Cricket at the time also. There you go...so come on!...That all said he had a very nice career old chap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There WERE better keepers in Sydney Grade Cricket at the time also.
The keeper from Mosman who's name alludes me was very good around that time. Also Dave Hunter would have been pushing for a state spot but I think he may have been just after Emery finished with NSW.

The keeper from Mosman who's name alludes me was very good around that time. Also Dave Hunter would have been pushing for a state spot but I think he may have been just after Emery finished with NSW.
Cricketer named Mark Atkinson ( Keeper ) went to Tasmania from NSW had to leave to play first class cricket from 1990. Record is pretty good...but fatty was the one who played for NSW/Oz. Quite a few Nsw went down to Tasmania around this time and all played state cricket. Tucker, Gilbert, Hookey and Dirk Wellham all from Western Suburbs...probably all left there to get away from Greg Matthews...lol. Tucker was at Balmain I believe.

Why would anyone want to get away from Greg Matthews?

Just wear ear plugs.
I remember him getting stuck into a young Scott Hookey who preferred to hit 4's than run quick singles. Absolutely berated him ...never seen that before.
After an ooooh that was close after a play and miss Matthews turned around to the keeper and said.."stfu you are just the garbage collector"...lol. Certainly had the verbal fireworks going that day.

Oh Ok I WAS better...better bat as well. Phil Emery was a fat private school boy who's old man helped him into the NSW shield team and Test team. The fact he was a New South Welshman the epicentre of Australian cricket would have helped also. There WERE better keepers in Sydney Grade Cricket at the time also. There you go...so come on!...That all said he had a very nice career old chap.

Kidding yourself champ, if you were better at keeping and batting we would have heard of you.

Selectors are not paid to work with hindsight. Foresight is what was needed and delivered. The armchair selectors at home are the ones more often that not, pondering in hindsight.

Selectors never get credit for getting it right and they should for Paine. He might even move to 6 to allow Mitch Marsh to bat at 7 which he should be batting no higher than anyway.

The reaction to Paine is still a little over the top surely.

13, 51 and 17, and each the two failures were both when runs were needed (and no I’m not forgetting that his 51 WAS a very important knock).

He’s been capable, but words like ‘inspired’ are a little flattering.

13, 51 and 17, and each the two failures were both when runs were needed (and no I’m not forgetting that his 51 WAS a very important knock).

Glove work has been superb you are forgetting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back