Summary:

* Richmond reserves in 96 (#13)
* 2003 trade bait (#160)
* refined kicking action (#14)
* 2007 review (#28)
* 2008 review (#109)
* club's oldest player (#117)
* 200 games (#156)
* announces retirement at end of year (#192)
* final game (#194)
* engagement to Jodie Henry (#202)
* 2009 review (#207)
* lap of honour (#212)
* wedding ceremony (#215)

Premierships:

Code:
B:       Chris Johnson     Justin Leppitsch   Darryl White  
HB:      Nigel Lappin      Chris Scott        Marcus Ashcroft  
C:       Jason Akermanis   Michael Voss (c)   Robert Copeland  
HF:      Shaun Hart        Jonathan Brown     Luke Power  
F:       Daniel Bradshaw   Alastair Lynch     Martin Pike  
Foll:    Clark Keating     Simon Black        Brad Scott  
Int:     Beau McDonald     Craig McRae        [B][COLOR="Red"]Tim Notting[/COLOR][/B]
         Mal Michael
Coach:   Leigh Matthews

Code:
B:       Chris Johnson     Chris Scott        Justin Leppitsch  
HB:      Luke Power        Mal Michael        Marcus Ashcroft  
C:       Shaun Hart        Michael Voss (c)   Martin Pike  
HF:      Des Headland      Jonathan Brown     Nigel Lappin  
F:       Jason Akermanis   Alastair Lynch     Darryl White  
Foll:    Clark Keating     Simon Black        Brad Scott  
Int:     Beau McDonald     Craig McRae        [B][COLOR="Red"]Tim Notting[/COLOR][/B]        
         Aaron Shattock
Coach:   Leigh Matthews

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

1997: -
1998: =29th (1 vote)
1999: 24th (12 votes)
2000: =24th (7 votes)
2001: 7th (44 votes)
2002: 20th (26 votes)
2003: 25th (16.5 votes)
2004: =11th (44 votes)
2005: 9th (35.5 votes)
2006: =8th (31.5 votes)
2007: 3rd (52.5 votes)
2008: 11th (28.5 votes)
2009: 23rd (7.5 votes)

Brisbane Lions Team of the Decade:

Code:
[B]B:[/B] 	Chris Johnson 	   Mal Michael 	        Darryl White
[B]HB:[/B] 	Marcus Ashcroft    Justin Leppitsch 	Chris Scott
[B]M:[/B] 	Nigel Lappin 	   Michael Voss (c) 	Brad Scott
[B]HF:[/B] 	Jason Akermanis    Jonathan Brown 	Craig McRae
[B]F:[/B] 	Luke Power 	   Alastair Lynch 	Daniel Bradshaw
[B]Foll:[/B] 	Clark Keating 	   Simon Black 	        Shaun Hart
[B]Int:[/B] 	Martin Pike 	   [B][COLOR="Red"]Tim Notting[/COLOR][/B] 	        Jamie Charman 	   
        Richard Champion
Coach: 	Leigh Matthews

Tribunal record since 2007:

* round 17, 2009 - striking (225 demerit points reduced to 168.75 demerit points)
Highlights:

AFL Rising Star Nomination 1999
Lions Premiership Player 2001, 2002
Lions Life Member 2006
Lions Team of the Decade member 2006
3rd Lions Club Champion 2007

Re: Tim Notting

I'd reckon Timmy's having his best season yet. It's flown pretty much under the radar.

He had a great start to the year in 06 playing down back, but trailed off towards the end....but like with quite a few players a bit of time down back seems to have kicked started his game up the field. He has had two truely bad games IMO - Richmond and Geelong, but besides that has done his role very well!

5xxmkon.jpg

Although not featured among many votes this week the guy who utilises the corridor (and usually does it) best is Tim Notting. With his pace and penetrating kick, it is his style of footy.

I agree Snuka. He seems to have good acceleration off the mark, which allows him to play on quickly. He is also a fairly instinctive player. When he stops and thinks too long that's when he can make mistakes.

Timmy is "my boy".......we come from same neck of the woods in Vic...have thought he has been underrated for a while now...has always ran miles in a game and tries his heart out....

I agree Snuka. He seems to have good acceleration off the mark, which allows him to play on quickly. He is also a fairly instinctive player. When he stops and thinks too long that's when he can make mistakes.

I think that also applies to his inaccuracy when closer to goal.

St.Arnaud....Tim played for Navarre, which is near St.A...Quite a few Nottings in St.Arnaud area

Oh OK. Thought you might have known him from Stawell.

His old boy used to play for Navarre Reserves in bare feet when Tim was playing U/16's :eek: True story!!

Oh OK. Thought you might have known him from Stawell.

His old boy used to play for Navarre Reserves in bare feet when Tim was playing U/16's :eek: True story!!
Last I heard, Tim has a young cousin (also a Notting) playing very well for Navarre......who knows, may follow the same path Tim did!......which by the way, another reason for my admiration for Tim is that he came from playing with Navarre, which is seriously a dot in the middle of nowhere, to make it up to the Lions!

Ha Ha, very true, they dont call Brian "wild man" for nothing, also throws a very good left right combo.
In reference to Possom being drafted from Navarre, I think you will find an old grey haired fella playing full forward at Avoca at the time had everything to do with him getting 5 games in Richmond two's in 96. He played 2 ripper games, with the coach Rod O'Rielly moving to Brisbane the following year as the recruiting officer, obviously appreciating what he saw in these few games. So if you appreciate Tim being in Brisbane and you by chance run into Richmond legend Jim Jess, shout him a beer cause he discovered him. Lucky set of circumstances, but he was doing freakish things as a kid at Navarre in 96.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Fine tuning helps Notting kick on

3:33 PM Sun 5 August, 2007
By Simon White
for lions.com.au

IT’S NEVER too late to teach an experienced Lion new tricks or, in the case of in-form midfielder Tim Notting, for a subtle, but important re-tooling of a kicking technique.
Notting has put boot to ball 229 times so far this season, more than any other Lion.
Always known as a long kick, he says mid-season work on his action has helped make him more consistent.
The 28-year-old was once again a strong contributor during Saturday night’s 37-point home win over the Kangaroos, gathering 25 disposals.
”The last four weeks or so, I’ve been kicking better and more consistently – my percentages are up,” Notting explained.
”Before that I had a patch where I was kicking a few floaters and mongrel punts. But I’ve been working hard on it at training, and that’s paying off.
”I wasn’t really having a go at my kicks and I was a bit being indecisive.
”Now that we’re moving it into our forwards a lot quicker, it’s probably easier because you’re not thinking so much about where you are going to kick it – you just get it and go.
“But I also drop the ball from really high and that’s something I looked at. I’ve changed my grip a bit in the last few weeks and it seems to be working.”
Notting has averaged 25 possessions per game during the Lions’ five-matching winning streak and he rates his current run of form as good, if not better, than any he has produced during his previous nine seasons at AFL level.
The athletic utility finished equal-seventh in the club champion award in the 2001 premiership year and has charted top-10 finishes in the past two years.
"I had a pretty consistent 2001 during the first flag but I think I’ve probably been more productive this year,” Notting said.
"I had a really good pre-season and got really fit. I’ve got a young boy now (son Baxter), so I probably look after myself a fair bit better and he keeps me pretty level.
"I’ve got a bit more game time and the structure we are playing helps me and Cheynee Stiller out on the wings.”
The Lions now find themselves in seventh spot and in the reckoning for a finals berth – something which seemed improbable only six weeks ago.
Like his coach, Leigh Matthews, Notting isn’t about to start talking September action just yet.
But he admits that, with fellow top-eight aspirants Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide and Geelong to come, the Lions will certainly help shape the make-up of this year’s finals.
"The last five weeks have just been fantastic – the side has really gelled, we are playing hard-at-it footy and you couldn’t ask any more of the boys,” he said.
"The results have showed that when we get the ball into our forwards, we can kick winning scores.
”From where we were five weeks ago, we’ve improved a lot. Even if we don’t end up making the finals, we’re going to have a lot of fun rearranging that seventh and eighth spot.”

nottingqi1.jpg

How good was Poss V the Roos?
i wish (like Roe a bit) he wouldnt do these blistering runs then hanball into trouble at the end, although maybe part of that is "modern footy". Sometimes the most dangerous thing is to just bang it in!

i think guys like Robbie and Possum are really enjoying being some of the senior players in the team now, both having close to their best ever seasons consistency wise.

Ha Ha, very true, they dont call Brian "wild man" for nothing, also throws a very good left right combo.

Very true. Not many blokes could play a game of footy in bare feet unless they could truly hold their own.

In reference to Possom being drafted from Navarre, I think you will find an old grey haired fella playing full forward at Avoca at the time had everything to do with him getting 5 games in Richmond two's in 96. He played 2 ripper games, with the coach Rod O'Rielly moving to Brisbane the following year as the recruiting officer, obviously appreciating what he saw in these few games. So if you appreciate Tim being in Brisbane and you by chance run into Richmond legend Jim Jess, shout him a beer cause he discovered him. Lucky set of circumstances, but he was doing freakish things as a kid at Navarre in 96.

Played against Jess in the Lexton League myself a couple of years earlier. For an old bloke he could still play kicking over a hundred goals for the year.

Didn't Tim play for the Ballarat Rebels? That's where I thought he really got noticed. When they did all the tests at the end of the year for potential draftees he stood out head and shoulders above all the rest from what I heard.

How good was Poss V the Roos?
i wish (like Roe a bit) he wouldnt do these blistering runs then hanball into trouble at the end, although maybe part of that is "modern footy". Sometimes the most dangerous thing is to just bang it in!

i think guys like Robbie and Possum are really enjoying being some of the senior players in the team now, both having close to their best ever seasons consistency wise.

Yeah Konstas... he worked his guts out hey... He's just stepped up big time this season... he deserves the security of his position this year - hes earned it.

Didn't Tim play for the Ballarat Rebels? That's where I thought he really got noticed. When they did all the tests at the end of the year for potential draftees he stood out head and shoulders above all the rest from what I heard.
Yeah he did play maybe 6 or 7 with the rebels but only had 1 really solid game when he played on future Essendon and Melbourne player Hefernan, who was a wonder kid at the time, and took the points easily. They wern't overly keen on him mainly cause they were pushing for O'Bree and Brent Tuckey to get drafted and Goodes was coming through, but that didn't stop them putting him in the team of the century after he won a couple of flags. He did excell at the draft camp and this was around the time everyone was turning to the athletes ahead of footballers that is common today.

Link

Tim Notting had a personal best finish in the club champion award eclipsing his personal best finish of seventh from back in 2001.

2007 Merrett-Murray Medal Top Ten
Jonathan Brown - 68.0
Jed Adcock - 62.5
Tim Notting - 52.5
Luke Power - 51.0
Simon Black - 48.5
Nigel Lappin - 48.5
Cheynee Stiller - 45.5
Daniel Merrett - 44.0
Robert Copeland - 43.0
Joel Patfull - 42.0

nottingpa8.jpg

As I put in another thread, considering all the off field hoo haa he had to put up with, Timmy has done himself and the club proud with his results this year...Well done Tim...

Very happy with the way Possum has gone about it on field.

I have a feeling he will be an important figure in our finals push next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back