Traded Tim Taranto [Traded to Richmond for #12 and #19]

Original OP by the Ziebull:

Easily gws best out of contract player next year.
Can hit the scoreboard forward or play on ball.

does he come home and collect more money or do gws have space to match big offers whilst still having Whitfield, kelly, greene, Haynes, coniglio all on big coin long term. then to a lesser extent hopper, Taylor and himmelberg on decent coin too

Last edited by a moderator:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Would have been great to see another Dodoro vs McCartney battle (which is just McCartney having a cry), but we don't need more mids.

Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond are possible destinations for him. I don't see any other Vic club as realistic options (should he come to Victoria).

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Would have been great to see another Dodoro vs McCartney battle (which is just McCartney having a cry), but we don't need more mids.

Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond are possible destinations for him. I don't see any other Vic club as realistic options (should he come to Victoria).
Lol always amusing have a dodo fan in these threads.

Geelong will be after midfielders id imagine and will have the cap space (4 or 5 retirements likely which will open up a lot of $) but we might be more focused on FAs rather than trades as it will allow us to keep our picks. You would imagine richmond would be very keen if he comes back and with retirements they should have the cap space.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I could see Richmond being a good fit, they are still in an around it. If they bounce in 2022 they will be more likely cough up what the Giants would request.

Haw..would they appeal. They look like they may be in for a couple of harder years.

Geelong probably not the destinations they once were, and probably should focus on building for a while. That means keeping their picks and only looking at cheap options... just like this year with Stengle

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Vic clubs will chase and they will chase hard and he will most likely leave and be another ex-GWS player floating around at a Melbourne club. The cycle will continiue, GWS will get a good draft pick, pick up another elite talent, blood them, then lose them.

In saying this he probably stays, seems like he enjoys the place. Would be the best player in the comp if he tidied up his disposal.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

Doubt we would be interested

Jaeger, Mitch and Worpel as current inside mids

Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald and Long as future prospects.

Great player but probably not worth the assets for us

You need Taranto more than any of your current mids.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Vic clubs will chase and they will chase hard and he will most likely leave and be another ex-GWS player floating around at a Melbourne club. The cycle will continiue, GWS will get a good draft pick, pick up another elite talent, blood them, then lose them.

In saying this he probably stays, seems like he enjoys the place. Would be the best player in the comp if he tidied up his disposal.

We keep the majority of who we want. We aren’t the Suns.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
We keep the majority of who we want. We aren’t the Suns.
From memory when looking last years finals teams Giants had more players trom our orignal 2012 list than any of the other club.Who would have predicted thatin 2011.Cats possibly were the exception..We havent.lost many that we rrally wanted to kerp and u cant keep em eall with the salaries there worth eg Treloarr, and Shiel

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

The thing is, this so called cycle allows us to see first hand each players strengths and weaknesses close up and I can't think of too many trades where we have been burnt. It's funny how the clubs that receive our blooded elite talents soon realise their major flaws are a real PITA and soon delist them.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
This guy is a little over rated. Statistically hasn't improved since 2019. A very good player but not yet a star

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You can probably count Carlton out. Doubt we have the salary cap space to sign him, esp as we are giving Sam Walsh a massive 5 year extension over the Summer/Christmas Period..

Don't think we have the picks or trade assets to satisfy the Giants in a trade either.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon he is Tigerland bound just quietly.

They have the cap space, flag window is still wide open for a few more years and he was a Richmond fan growing up i believe..
Taranto was a Melbourne supporter growing up.
Richmond are definitely going to be a contender if he decides to leave.
Cotchin, Riewoldt, Lambert and Edwards all are at the end of their contracts.
Baker, Short, Stack, Rioli, Broad and Pickett all out of contract.
If it comes to a trade tigers will have their own 1st,&2nd and also Kangaroos 2nd round as a start. GWS would obviously require probably two firsts (early) as a start. 24 years old and 80 odd games will command a decent paycheque.

beowulf

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2009
Golden Square
AFL Club
Carlton
Apart from Bulldogs or Demons he would be great for any Vic club IMO. Can see him fitting in well at Carlton or Saints.
Indeed. But the issue is the money. Not many clubs have the resources available. He'd look pretty good in a Carlton guernsey, but I expect him to remain faithful to GWS. The money that would require could make some interesting fallout. I would not want to be a GWS lad living in the borderlands.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
With Hopper, Green and now Callaghan providing a nice age spread it could be TT that is a bridge too far with regard to keeping them all ... hate to see him leave, of course, but should he go it will be for big dollars

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
This guy is a little over rated. Statistically hasn't improved since 2019. A very good player but not yet a star

Development isn't always linear. He was playing at a pretty high level from his second year and has slowly built into an A-grader, but hasn't taken another step with his form. A similar thing happened with Wines.

He still has a couple of gears to go up, and his Grand Final a couple of years ago was exceptional - especially given the circumstances.

Back