Traded Tim Taranto [Traded to Richmond for #12 and #19]

Remove this Banner Ad

You lost me here, that is a silly comment on the best of days, as silly as my suggestion if you will?

A gun KPP is so much harder to find, especially one as young and versatile as Balta.

On a serious note, I would love Taranto, our first, possibly top 10 and steak knives is where that deal would be done.
So basically you want one of the best young players at another club but it's 'silly' that one of the best young players at your club would be involved and the other club should be forced to accept the magic beans of a mid first rounder instead?

The deal won't happen, player for player trades basically never happen, but if it did it certainly wouldn't be unfair on Richmond.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is worth a top 10 pick, where in that range would depend on the club chasing him and what they have.

The issue for GWS is they wont be able to play the, "we will just keep him" card. It wont be a fire sale scenario, but I reckon this trade has unders written all over it.
I can't see why it is different to any other quality player that wants to leave that isn't under contract

Rarely does a club just accept unders for them because they know they aren't staying

Most players traded over the last few years for top end picks were out of contract

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So basically you want one of the best young players at another club but it's 'silly' that one of the best young players at your club would be involved and the other club should be forced to accept the magic beans of a mid first rounder instead?

The deal won't happen, player for player trades basically never happen, but if it did it certainly wouldn't be unfair on Richmond.
Y'know i didn't realise Taranto is only 24. Will only improve from here

Gun KPP's always hold a trade premium over a mid. I also said top 10 pick, could be early.

I can't see why it is different to any other quality player that wants to leave that isn't under contract

Rarely does a club just accept unders for them because they know they aren't staying

Most players traded over the last few years for top end picks were out of contract
I reckon GWS will need the salary dump, if it aint him its someone else

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon GWS will need the salary dump, if it aint him its someone else
When does a club give up one of their best players about to hit the peak if their career as a salary dump and accept unders though?

We hear the same old thing with quality Giants players every year and they get a good deal for them

Even Cameron who they were offering less for than Geelong, they were able to still match the offer and get a good trade for

Different story if its someone like Hannebery who is past their best or Will Brodie who is out of favour but you don't accept unders for one of your best players just to free up cap space

He'll get a contract offer from the Giants, even if it's a lot less than other clubs. Giants will then get a good deal for him if he leaves

When does a club give up one of their best players about to hit the peak if their career as a salary dump and accept unders though?

We hear the same old thing with quality Giants players every year and they get a good deal for them

Even Cameron who they were offering less for than Geelong, they were able to still match the offer and get a good trade for

Different story if its someone like Hannebery who is past their best or Will Brodie who is out of favour but you don't accept unders for one of your best players just to free up cap space

He'll get a contract offer from the Giants, even if it's a lot less than other clubs. Giants will then get a good deal for him if he leaves
Possibly, but the GWS cap situation isnt the norm either.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good player, can't recall too many games where he has really left his mark though. Would be a nice piece to add to an established midfield but he'll probably be demanding A grade money which I don't think is justified.

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
After tonight, Hope richmond doesn't make a play for him, Would cost to much draft capital. Would be the number 1 man in our mid but one man alone won't fix our midfield. Rather us head to the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope we offer the Ben King/Hannebery money saved up, would make an enormous point of difference in one of our weaker areas and fit the age profile extremely well.

Still though seems to be keen on staying in Sydney from what the media says but if GWS continue to have a poor season who knows?

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Sounds as though he's keen to stay and GWS are keen to keep him.

Surely GWS has to offload one of these mids to try and get some speed and variety into their midfield mix? Hopper seemed the obvious choice last year, but I guess when these guys keep offering to stay for less because they like playing for the club it's hard to turn them away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back