Time for a base or move into the City of Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowMike

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here we go.
I think it's time for a move into the city centre or at least start securing locations; no doubt the guys down the road will be.
I don't think we should/ can accept the club answer of "free rent and up keep anymore". West Lakes doesn't feel welcoming anymore; the area around Footy Park is no longer visually appealing, cars park on one side, construction on the otherside and no meeting place any more now the Shed is being used as a training facility now seems the right time to sell up and move.
Surely we can secure a pocket of land in conjunction with Adelaide Uni and develop a new HQ, training facility; which can also be part of a community centre and used by the Uni and house a place for the fans and members after games; some thing which was promised and never deliver by the SMA in the initial move.
I know this will probably cause a lot of unrest and resistance by many but the club should be working towards this move and securing our future base and get into the city and make a mark and grow bigger.
We are the ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB.

Can we afford it? We forked out millions to upgrade west lakes. Can't see us moving until that facility is outdated. Probably another 10 to 20 years away. Then the fight with the council and parklands trust begins. Making a pr nightmare and dragging our name through the mud. We need to win a flag or two to get everyone onside with decisions like this.

We can sell what we've got now to the council and make a real play for the city. We made massive inroads into being a club last year but we don't have any place as a supporter group we can call our own anymore. West Lakes looks dreadful these days. Rob Gerrad would be happy to be apart of such a venture.

please explain!
What I meant by this is coming directly what Roo said on his radio show a number of times. The way that Walsh brought together and included the past players association and the way the entire footy club from the fan, player, water boy, CEO all banded together after July and to finish the way we did, did more to unite the whole club than anything since 98. I'm just saying we are moving away from the whole Trigg saga now and should be looking at clean and fresh ground.

Very true that westlakes seems uninviting. The old bus interchange the stadium seems eerily dead, and the exterior feels dirty.

Something needs to be done.

I imagine all of that will change when they demolish most of the stadium and rebuild the area.

We can sell what we've got now to the council and make a real play for the city..

We have nothing to sell to the council, the SANFL own the land.

We over capitalized - museum, conference facilities that Mr Trigg Business Plan stated would be a gold mine for the AFC.

Just one more thing we have to thank him for, he was an SANFL stooge he couldn't/didn't want to see the writing on the wall about AAMI.

It would be nice to sell the West Lakes facilities to Port Adelaide FC. It's better located for them than us. Probably an upgrade on their current digs. Then we move closer into Adelaide. I don't know if we need a social club facility attached to the players facilities though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the setup is fine for the moment in terms of training and admin.
What I would like is a pub or meet up location pre and post match.
I can state categorically that won't be happening.

Watch out for Allefgib's notes from the Fages meeting.

I hope a move is within 10 years, The AFC should be based in the Adelaide CBD. Plus I wouldn't want Port to beat us to it.
Since the move to Adelaide Oval, being based at West Lakes just doesn't feel right, even more so now with the housing development.

Can we afford it? We forked out millions to upgrade west lakes. Can't see us moving until that facility is outdated. Probably another 10 to 20 years away. Then the fight with the council and parklands trust begins. Making a pr nightmare and dragging our name through the mud. We need to win a flag or two to get everyone onside with decisions like this.

the fuddrooster delivers! see you Wednesday mate, pizza afterwards i reckon. And you're completely right. I think the fight with the council / parklands trust should start now - this is Adelaide, it will take 20 years. Maybe we should build over existing facilities?

We have pretty new facilities at west lakes. Mad if you think we'll move. Unless we can find someone to BUY them from us...

That would be interesting... i didn't think of that, it never occurred to me that someone else would want to buy it from us... maybe if Port ever want to upgrade their facilities ;)

What I meant by this is coming directly what Roo said on his radio show a number of times. The way that Walsh brought together and included the past players association and the way the entire footy club from the fan, player, water boy, CEO all banded together after July and to finish the way we did, did more to unite the whole club than anything since 98. I'm just saying we are moving away from the whole Trigg saga now and should be looking at clean and fresh ground.

This as well as shaking ourselves clear of SANFL etc.

Would require either us to knock over a number of existing buildings in the parklands, or the city council to relax the rules on total building footprint size.

Both very highly unlikely.

I hope a move is within 10 years, The AFC should be based in the Adelaide CBD. Plus I wouldn't want Port to beat us to it.
Since the move to Adelaide Oval, being based at West Lakes just doesn't feel right, even more so now with the housing development.

Port will never move away from Alberton. It's part of the Creed, isn't it?

I can state categorically that won't be happening.

Watch out for Allefgib's notes from the Fages meeting.
We get to stay at West Lakes rent free for like another 20 years or something don't we?

The infrastructure is in place there and they're not paying to stay there. Moving to the CDB would be a massive financial undertaking, and not one I'd think the club is currently able to afford.

I think if the club wins 4 premierships in 10 years like hawthorn has we could afford to buy and build a new massive training facility like Hawthorn is doing.

I've always been of the opinion that we should move but evidently Footy Park is great for conducting secretive trial matches and training drills.

Unless we can move directly to AO I'd prefer not to move.

I think if the club wins 4 premierships in 10 years like hawthorn has we could afford to buy and build a new massive training facility like Hawthorn is doing.

It's interesting you mention that, because Hawks are currently 5kms from the MCG, and are moving to Dingley which is 30km from the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back