Time for a base or move into the City of Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Before we even start talking about buying a pub, the club had to make it a priority and add it to any future funds budget.

It's not an objective for the club right now. Every conversation I have had with Andrew Fagan or read about this topic, I have heard him said numerous times this isn't on the agenda Allefgib

I strongly believe this hasn't been a priority to engage members in a social sense for 26 years, why would they start now. Steven Trigg bowed down to the SANFL and sold (gave away more like) our naming and branding rights to the SANFL for the tavern on the Eastern side of AAMI Stadium and a club room was never considered when they rebuilt the footy park upgraded facilities.

It's simply not a priority.

Until we have a social clubroom, we will not become a 'real club'. That's not an insult as a number of the AFL clubs are moving away from being a tradtional club to simply being a sporting organisation but since we are a club playing in a tradtional of football state, it's something we need.

IMO - the club has to make this a priority. They need to obtain an area to buy or build a clubroom (bar, restaurant, function centre), they need entice the SANFL clubs to give us home games for the reserves and then have players and supporters can go back or hang around the club after the game for player presentations. Then they can open up the function centre to watch away games. Over the course of 12 away games, I feel they could easilly make a $250,000 profits on just meals and drinks - no pokies needed but they need to be engaging supporters in more ways than just a match day experience.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth.

I have often wondered why we don't use the "shed" to show interstate games. I would have thought at least a thousand or so people would show up if done right. Have some club people there, players not playing etc. Big screen, food and drink etc.

No way a large number of people will go to club room at Theby after a game. I certainly wouldn't. With games at the city a higher percent now use public transport and won't consider getting to Theby after a game. It will need to be in the city where the public transport hub is.

I think the aftermatch is fine where it is. The reality is it is just an hour or so to hear some aftermatch thoughts from the coach and maybe get an autograph/photo or two. Then chat about the game with mates over a beer.

Trekking all over Adelaide for such a short time of "contact" with the club is a bit of a waste of time.

Even the last year at Footy Park the new "Shed" was not as good as it used to be. Players did not mingle with supporters as they had previously. It was always good to have a chat with the players one on one. You could tell the ones who didn't like it and just leave them alone.

I have often wondered why we don't use the "shed" to show interstate games. I would have thought at least a thousand or so people would show up if done right. Have some club people there, players not playing etc. Big screen, food and drink etc.

The old shed has been bulldozed. The new upstairs shed is now a weights room with different cardiovascular programs in that space.

I agree as getting a temporary liquor license wouldn't be overly hard for 11 times a years. The club could have Outsourced all responsibility to the CSG (those who could not go, could have ran it) and could have made a nice profit each week.

And, as long as they covered their cost those nights shouldn't be about making money but bring the club together as one.

The old shed has been bulldozed. The new upstairs shed is now a weights room with different cardiovascular programs in that space.

I agree as getting a temporary liquor license wouldn't be overly hard for 11 times a years. The club could have Outsourced all responsibility to the CSG (those who could not go, could have ran it) and could have made a nice profit each week.

And, as long as they covered their cost those nights shouldn't be about making money but bring the club together as one.

So the big open space at the new facility is pretty much gone now? I was thinking the areas with the roll away bars etc.

Was the Christmas Carols there this year?

I wonder if the AFC have put a bid in for a space in the new development at the old RAH site?

From todays Sunday Mail.

A LUXURY hotel, commercial complex, multi-storey apartments and a 2ha extension to the Adelaide Botanic Garden are centrepieces of a $1 billion redevelopment of the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site, unveiled today.

The first pictures of the long-awaited overhaul show the Botanic Garden extending west, over and beyond land taken from the garden in the 1960s for the RAH East Wing, which will be demolished.

I wonder if the AFC have put a bid in for a space in the new development at the old RAH site?

From todays Sunday Mail.

A LUXURY hotel, commercial complex, multi-storey apartments and a 2ha extension to the Adelaide Botanic Garden are centrepieces of a $1 billion redevelopment of the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site, unveiled today.

The first pictures of the long-awaited overhaul show the Botanic Garden extending west, over and beyond land taken from the garden in the 1960s for the RAH East Wing, which will be demolished.

Typical, a subscriber article...

Can anyone kindly cut and paste it? Including pics?

From todays Sunday Mail.

Would take up too much space that they'll want to use for apartment buildings for Chinese investors to buy.

So the big open space at the new facility is pretty much gone now? I was thinking the areas with the roll away bars etc.

Was the Christmas Carols there this year?

Yeah it's definitely gone.

A few weeks ago I happened to strike up a conversation with a random person at a party who I later found out worked for the club in an admin capacity. They mentioned that the place was being renovated and the admin staff at some point next year are going to be moving into the area where the Crows used to host their members day (where the balcony area is).

The ill fated Crows museum and replica locker room are apparently long gone as well.

Yeah it's definitely gone.

A few weeks ago I happened to strike up a conversation with a random person at a party who I later found out worked for the club in an admin capacity. They mentioned that the place was being renovated and the admin staff at some point next year are going to be moving into the area where the Crows used to host their members day (where the balcony area is).

The ill fated Crows museum and replica locker room are apparently long gone as well.

There was a photo of that on Twitter today

It a certain amount is being handed back, perhaps that can be offset by our club utilising the dead space at the end of O'Connell Street. We love walking the hounds through there, but we're yet to see anyone else. Plenty of dogs and peoples around the off-leash dog parks and along Le Fevre Tce, but there's plenty of under-utilised space around that area. But as a ratepayer of the Adelaide City Coucil, I refuse to lose any of our non-utilised parklands, regardless of the commonsense reasons that may be involved.

With the SANFL home game last year and the womens team making Thebarton Oval their home ground, I really think the club is planning a move to Thebarton oval, may not be for 5 - 10 years but I think it's their preferred location. I don't think the club will admit it though as they would want to be bought out of their footy park lease and the developer would pay more to get them out if they think they plan on staying until the end of the lease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a good location

And would be far cheaper than a CBD location

Would also give the club a "home ground" for Womens and SANFL if they ever change the rules

With the SANFL home game last year and the womens team making Thebarton Oval their home ground, I really think the club is planning a move to Thebarton oval, may not be for 5 - 10 years but I think it's their preferred location. I don't think the club will admit it though as they would want to be bought out of their footy park lease and the developer would pay more to get them out if they think they plan on staying until the end of the lease.

I heard from somebody who would know (before he was poached by Brisbane) that the club wants a LOT of space, preferably 2 ovals worth, where one oval can be configured to be exact dimensions of wherever they play next. This makes all suburban grounds useless as they are pissant. Parklands was a good option but is a no-go because of council. Not many other options with that amount of free space except near airport so I think that will be eventual location.

I heard from somebody who would know (before he was poached by Brisbane) that the club wants a LOT of space, preferably 2 ovals worth, where one oval can be configured to be exact dimensions of wherever they play next. This makes all suburban grounds useless as they are pissant. Parklands was a good option but is a no-go because of council. Not many other options with that amount of free space except near airport so I think that will be eventual location.

Woodville and Elizabeth are similar sizes too Subi, and Noarlunga has Subi's length and the MCG's width. The only one suitable for a near-city location though is Woodville and I can't see the Eagles giving up their oval for the club, not to mention it's only about 5km from our current location.

A clean site would be preferable. Easier to customise.

Not that it's going to happen in the next 30-40 years anyway.

near the airport would be ok.

People go on about an inner city home but as a training base its not necessary and as you say the tradeoffs on what would be allowed would outweigh the benefits.
- Space for suitable ovals: achievable
- Ability to fence off in a way that prevents visibility for closed trainings which are now vital: unlikely
- space to build on the adjacent area a good sized facility for gym, recovery pools, changerooms, offices, etc: no chance

The social club aspect is a whole different debate and onset need to be at the same place.

Airport would be a decent area, close enough to city and beach suburbs where a lot of players live. Location in relation to suitable places to live is as important as anything else aside from suitability to meet the needs of the facility (see St Kildas move and supposed unrest at daily commute times)

Call it "The Flight Zone" and tie in with the WFAO theme

But if you look at Google aerial photos of Thebby Oval, there seems to be a fair bit of potential space around it. Between it and South Rd, there is the Bowling Club (which probably has to move because of the South Rd upgrade, I'm guessing), some tennis courts and car parks.

If the Club can acquire a good part of them, they would be able to put a big arsed oval in there. And if they can also get the reserve to the north and maybe the aquatic centre, they'd be able to put in another oval.

But if you look at Google aerial photos of Thebby Oval, there seems to be a fair bit of potential space around it. Between it and South Rd, there is the Bowling Club (which probably has to move because of the South Rd upgrade, I'm guessing), some tennis courts and car parks.

If the Club can acquire a good part of them, they would be able to put a big arsed oval in there. And if they can also get the reserve to the north and maybe the aquatic centre, they'd be able to put in another oval.
I don't think there is a lot of space there at all.

The ovals next to it are used for soccer.
The building between that parkland space and St Rd has recently been developed into a big function space of some kind (not sure if that is part of the bowling club or what) and then there is carparking which would be needed more than ever.

Unless that Kings reserve could be bought then theres no room for expansion an I just cant see how that would ever get cleared when its clearly used a lot for recreational sports.

I don't understand why people still talk about a city base? why? we don't need it and the demand isn't there. Plus the costs of inner-city land is astronomical and its not worth the club buying into it. Huge waste of resources with no return. Just to appease a minority of supporters who think they would like it. Adelaide United moved out further into the suburbs because of the huge cost. Thats the reality for Adelaide. If Adelaide want to build and extend they will move out North or South where they can build a huge unlimited training base where their is room for more expansion. Inner City is completely unrealistic and would be very poor planning.

The last time I was in Adelaide, my mate was talking about a move out of West Lakes. He was saying he'd like the Crows training base to be in the city, with the Adelaide Uni oval being used as a training base.

Having lived in Adelaide for a period of time, I do know what the parkland preservation people are like, so that'd be tough to get through. Where the administration base would be located would be a challenge - and expensive.

Thebarton Oval would be a great central location and would tie in well with the AFLW side playing home games. Does anyone currently tenant Thebarton Oval? I think it's desirable and somewhat important for a team encompassing all of Adelaide to be as centrally located as possible.

The reasons may be superficial, but there's no doubt that fans feel closer ties to where the admin base is. Why else did St. Kilda move to Seaford, if not to try and align and expand their supporter base in the south easteen suburbs.

I haven't been out to West Lakes for years - not since AFL ceased playing there. From memory the admin facilities are pretty new, so what exactly is the rush for leaving? Does the S.A. gov want the whole parcel of land released to developers in time?

The last time I was in Adelaide, my mate was talking about a move out of West Lakes. He was saying he'd like the Crows training base to be in the city, with the Adelaide Uni oval being used as a training base.

Having lived in Adelaide for a period of time, I do know what the parkland preservation people are like, so that'd be tough to get through. Where the administration base would be located would be a challenge - and expensive.

Thebarton Oval would be a great central location and would tie in well with the AFLW side playing home games. Does anyone currently tenant Thebarton Oval? I think it's desirable and somewhat important for a team encompassing all of Adelaide to be as centrally located as possible.

The reasons may be superficial, but there's no doubt that fans feel closer ties to where the admin base is. Why else did St. Kilda move to Seaford, if not to try and align and expand their supporter base in the south easteen suburbs.

I haven't been out to West Lakes for years - not since AFL ceased playing there. From memory the admin facilities are pretty new, so what exactly is the rush for leaving? Does the S.A. gov want the whole parcel of land released to developers in time?

The SAAFL are the current tenants of Thebarton Oval, I can't see them moving there.

The SAAFL are the current tenants of Thebarton Oval, I can't see them moving there.
So their administration base is there, and they sublease the oval to whomever wants to use it? I'm sure if the AFC and state government were behind a move to Thebby oval, the SAAFL would offer little resistance after a tap on the shoulder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back