Time for a base or move into the City of Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL won't let us have home matches every other week. Part of the deal on signing up is we'd be bringing in our fans to other clubs games.

Yeah, but we made that deal when the deal was that both AFL clubs would get the same deal. Since Port were then allowed to have home games, you would think we should be able to negotiate our way into being able to have home games, especially when we have to pay to play in the comp when Port don't.

That depends on what deal you can get at a new location, vs what kind of location you will be forced to pay for in 20yrs time. Thebarton may be gettable now or in the coming years, but in 20yrs time someone else may have gotten it.

While at AAMI the club can only invest in infrastructure that they are fine with losing for no-return in 20 years time. Say they wanted a large swimming pool like Collingwood have, it wouldn't be worth that kind of investment into property you will have to abandon in 20 years. As each year goes by the kind of investments the club can make that are worthwhile will become smaller and smaller and our facilities will look further and further behind clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon who have state of the art facilities on land they will be on for the foreseeable future.
Would need one hell of a long term deal to beat what we currently have!

Being able to set up in a convenient location that allows a social club to generate more money from SANFL and Women's home games than it costs to stay on the property would do that. Also being able to purchase the property instead of leasing it would do that too. Perhaps a deal could be made where we are given a good price on the purchase of Thebarton if we give the SAAFL a free long-term lease on using the oval and having office space. Or if we take on some of the maintenance costs of Kings reserve in return for being able to use it as extra training space.

We probably need an SA government that treats us in the same way that Weatherill treats Port Adelaide though, which is probably what we are waiting for.

SANFL won't let us have home matches every other week. Part of the deal on signing up is we'd be bringing in our fans to other clubs games.

Hopefully we will be in the VFL (AFL reserves) sooner rather than later and we can have retired crows players play on for a season or two, wear our club jumper, play home games etc.

Having a centrally located ground that can be used as our training base plus home ground for reserves and womens sides makes alot of sense.

No it has to be projected results, Football park in 10 years would be worth over 10mill for the Crows to move, the Cost of setting up and future proofing a new training centre would be in the 40mill region, They would also be able to get better naming rights that would almost pay for the cost over 20 years. as said by Pdub Some of these areas are open to Crows today but may be closed in 25 years, ie Thebarton plus Kings reserve, Adelaide Aquatic Centre (Pardipardinyilla Park 2), Kantarilla Park 4, Nantu Wama park 6, Pityarrilla Park 19, Tampawardli Park 24 just to name a few.
25years no money for moving, the cost of setting up a training venue would be 60mill, they would still get naming rights but the payoff would longer. they would need to move further out of Adelaide upsetting several areas of supporters, ie the more central to Adelaide the better for all supporters.
The Crows will be forced to select a new venue in 25 years if the do nothing now.

No it has to be projected results, Football park in 10 years would be worth over 10mill for the Crows to move, the Cost of setting up and future proofing a new training centre would be in the 40mill region, They would also be able to get better naming rights that would almost pay for the cost over 20 years. as said by Pdub Some of these areas are open to Crows today but may be closed in 25 years, ie Thebarton plus Kings reserve, Adelaide Aquatic Centre (Pardipardinyilla Park 2), Kantarilla Park 4, Nantu Wama park 6, Pityarrilla Park 19, Tampawardli Park 24 just to name a few.
25years no money for moving, the cost of setting up a training venue would be 60mill, they would still get naming rights but the payoff would longer. they would need to move further out of Adelaide upsetting several areas of supporters, ie the more central to Adelaide the better for all supporters.
The Crows will be forced to select a new venue in 25 years if the do nothing now.
You're assuming West Lakes becomes unavailable...

No assuming, when the Crow lease expires in 2048 the current facility will be torn down and Housing built there. the plan is for housing to surround the Oval and the oval being park lands,
One thing that is clear the Crow will not be able to get another lease on the ground.
Also food for though within the next couple of years, the light tower will be gone and the Crows will need to train at Thebarton or Adelaide to get practice under lights

No assuming, when the Crow lease expires in 2048 the current facility will be torn down and Housing built there. the plan is for housing to surround the Oval and the oval being park lands,
One thing that is clear the Crow will not be able to get another lease on the ground.
Also food for though within the next couple of years, the light tower will be gone and the Crows will need to train at Thebarton or Adelaide to get practice under lights
I thought housing was going to be built around the current facility during the current lease & minimum green space, including the oval needed to remain as part of the development?

West Lakes will be the Crows training base for a long time to come. Theberton Oval is likely to fall to developers soon. In fact I'd be staggered if its still here in 5 years. Its highly likely West Lakes will be redeveloped as an SANFL sized ground surrounded by housing. West Lakes has too much tradition to be demolished for housing. The crows reserves and crows women could both play out of AAMI easily.

They are, but as I understand it they use Thebarton a few times a year in and out of season.

I imagine they wouldn't mind too much if we took over, and paid for nice upgrades, while they still got to use it the same number of times.
WWT pretty well do their full pre season at Thebby as Woodville has cricket played on it.

I thought housing was going to be built around the current facility during the current lease & minimum green space, including the oval needed to remain as part of the development?
It is but in 2048 they will look to complete the development and there are 2 stories about what will happen to the oval, will it retained as an oval or a park land stlye development have not seen one plan with the training centre still there.
Football park cannot be Future proofed for the Crows, It is too small to cater for a Full-time Men's and women squads to train,
Here's some points to consider and remember we want competitive teams that win football
How long do they run with the current setup of the women's and SANFL teams training away from their home base.
How long will it be before they get tired of travelling to get practice under lights?
Note as the women's comp gets more professional we will want them to have access to your medical rooms after training same goes if the AFL develop a reserves comp.

West Lakes will be the Crows training base for a long time to come. Theberton Oval is likely to fall to developers soon. In fact I'd be staggered if its still here in 5 years. Its highly likely West Lakes will be redeveloped as an SANFL sized ground surrounded by housing. West Lakes has too much tradition to be demolished for housing. The crows reserves and crows women could both play out of AAMI easily.

One or two minor problems, the SANFL do not own Football park anymore, and once the develop removes the grandstands there will be no training rooms available for vistors. all that will be left is the Oval and The Crows training centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still like the idea of a social facility/pub in the city. If a pub does not even need to be specifically Crow themed, but owned by the club so I can have lunch or after work beers and know the money is going to someone I support

Could not care less where the players train or even where our non AFL teams play.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

There will be no games played at AAMI. Its going to end up looking like Unley Oval during the week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As a local I'd be pissed if Kings Reserve was taken by an AFL club. It's a great social/exercise area for locals and there's a lot of soccer played there. I'd oppose it vehemently.

What's this soccy thing you speak of?
Is it some kind of fungus which likes grassy fields?

Stupid question:
Could we move and sublet AAMI on our lease to pay for our new digs. To whom I do not know. More a theoretical question really.

City venue like that isn't going to work, any pub that isn't also a nightclub/drawing in the weekend youth crowd doesn't stay solvent without pokies
Pokies it is then. If your silly enough to indulge good luck to you.
Edit: Generally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back