Time for a flexible schedule late in the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Melbourne Sydney is on tomorrow night featuring an awful to watch Melbourne second last on the ladder and Sydney who haven’t been much better. Meanwhile there’s two top of the ladder clashes in Geelong Brisbane and Richmond West Coast, both relegated to pay TV at ordinary time slots.

Has to be the best argument ever for flexible scheduling late in the year.

It’s hard enough seemingly for the AFL to get it right early in the year with Friday nights. The last few weeks have been completely horrible. Friday night footy is meant to one of the hot timeslots of the round.

Imagine if the AFL brought this in that year they gave Carlton 7 Friday Night games and it s**t us all to tears.
But yes, I feel as though in October they felt this would have had finals implications and Brisbane wouldn't have.

Should be 3-4 games that channel 7 can flex into Friday night footy at the end of the year.

A full floating fixture is too difficult

Imagine if the AFL brought this in that year they gave Carlton 7 Friday Night games and it s**t us all to tears.
But yes, I feel as though in October they felt this would have had finals implications and Brisbane wouldn't have.
There’s been multiple years where they’ve completely butchered Friday nights. They continue to do it so I don’t get why they don’t seriously consider having a flex schedule or a select few games that cba be changed.

Melbourne Sydney is on tomorrow night featuring an awful to watch Melbourne second last on the ladder and Sydney who haven’t been much better. Meanwhile there’s two top of the ladder clashes in Geelong Brisbane and Richmond West Coast, both relegated to pay TV at ordinary time slots.

It’s hard enough seemingly for the AFL to get it right early in the year with Friday nights. The last few weeks have been completely horrible. Friday night footy is meant to one of the hot timeslots of the round.

What a great idea IF all was even, its not.

It's only hot when people watch football at that time. The hot slots this week will be Saturday and Sunday arvo's, although FNF will also rate.

Has to be the best argument ever
It's certainly the best argument I've seen from 2019.

That being said I reckon Carlton being gifted four Friday night slots in 2018 on the back of finishing third last and having lost ten Friday night fixtures in a row by an average margin of eleven goals well and truly eclipses it.

Short memory you have.

It's certainly the best argument I've seen from 2019.

That being said I reckon Carlton being gifted four Friday night slots in 2018 on the back of finishing third last and having lost ten Friday night fixtures in a row by an average margin of eleven goals well and truly eclipses it.

Short memory you have.
I don’t recall us playing late season Friday night games.

I don’t recall us playing late season Friday night games.
When you're the worst performing AFL team for a decade you shouldn't get any Friday night games. But you did. And some of them were late in the season. But then I guess when you've been hammered by an average of eleven goals for two or three seasons straight all those Friday nights would blur into one?

Anyway your suggestion sucks.

Just sit back and enjoy Friday's football masterclass, it'll be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you're the worst performing AFL team for a decade you shouldn't get any Friday night games. But you did. And some of them were late in the season. But then I guess when you've been hammered by an average of eleven goals for two or three seasons straight all those Friday nights would blur into one?

One only AFL flag the Blues, your mob 0, people in glass houses ...

People in glass houses ...
I know right? A Carlton supporter whinging about television fixtures. Incredible.

Next we'll have some Richmond supporter complaining about having 7 straight games at their home ground to finish off the season.

Spot the touchy #hypelords fan who doesn't want his precious Friday night game taken away :)

Not sure but they do it in NFL so how does it work for them?

They all play on the same day (bar 1) so all they have to do is move one of the times later - its not like the farcical AFL where every match has to be on at a completely different time slot.

Richmond 2017 Premier and 2018 Prelim finalist.
West Coast 2018 premier
2019 both sides expected to be big players everyone knew this.
Richmond huge Melbourne club.
AFL does fixture and does not see that this should be the Friday night fixture even though it ticks every possible box, Big Melbourne club, Reigning Premiers. Not played each other for 35 rounds of Football.

Now hear we are today with the biggest blockbuster game of the year on Foxtel and in a terrible timeslot.

Auskick footy league run by Auskick administrators.

There's been talk of making the last 3 or 4 rounds a floating round like what Round 23 is, but that would be a bad idea because fans organise away trips all the time and they'll need to know which days and times their team is playing.

Not only that but wouldn't there be other sports that also use the venues?

Fair point. I’d probably rather watch Carlton v St Kilda tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back