Time for a MRP overhaul

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
This year has proven once agin that the MRP simply have no idea.

The Schofield suspension has to be the lowest of lows.

It is time to stop judging incidents based upon medical reports and go back to judging each incident based on the thuggery of the act.

There is something wrong when a brush to a bloke's chin lands you a week but then Joel Selwood can go and drop an elbow on a player and get nothing because there was no harm done to Sam Mitchell.

About time the AFL started coming down hardly on diving too. Only a matter of time before this makes its way down to juniors and we see a whole generation of divers making the sport ugly to watch

The MRP is an absolute farce. It's a blight on the game.

In the last two weeks alone we've seen:

- Joel Selwood deliberately elbow Mitchell in the back of the head whilst Mitchell was on the ground. No suspension
- Buddy hip and shoulder a Sydney player, probably a bit high, deserved a week. No suspension
- Alex Rance stage. No suspension or fine
- Clayton Oliver stage. No suspension or fine
- Will Schofield with the softest of clips on Oliver. Not a good look but definitely not worthy of a suspension either. 1 week
- Luke Shuey clean up Dangerfield, clearly high and had no eyes for the ball. No suspension

What the hell is going on?

Well Don't punch, how simple is that?
Schofield's action was not what you would call a punch far from it.

Selwood literally dropped an elbow on Mitchell's head with far more force and got off.

There is simply no logic when it comes to the MRP. They're either making it up as they go or their reliance on the medical condition of the player is making for some truly ridiculous looking verdicts.

Well Don't punch, how simple is that?

But we've seen plenty of incidents of players punching and getting next to nothing.
While this week we see a player shove someone in the chest, a stray elbow touches their chin slightly and he gets 2 weeks...

I agree, that players just shouldn't punch and I'd like to see the MRP be harsher, but we haven't seen that at all.

They got it so wrong this week.

They get it right probably 9 out of 10 times. The fact that there have been no players contest their sanctions suggests this season they aren't making many truly terribly decisions.

But we've seen plenty of incidents of players punching and getting next to nothing.
While this week we see a player shove someone in the chest, a stray elbow touches their chin slightly and he gets 2 weeks...

I agree, that players just shouldn't punch and I'd like to see the MRP be harsher, but we haven't seen that at all.

They got it so wrong this week.

Disagree. They got it wrong last week with Selwood. The rest have been just fine. I couldn't give a stuff about a few jumper punches, but elbows should get you a holiday.

In the last two weeks alone we've seen:

- Joel Selwood deliberately elbow Mitchell in the back of the head whilst Mitchell was on the ground. No suspension
- Buddy hip and shoulder a Sydney player, probably a bit high, deserved a week. No suspension
- Alex Rance stage. No suspension or fine
- Clayton Oliver stage. No suspension or fine
- Will Schofield with the softest of clips on Oliver. Not a good look but definitely not worthy of a suspension either. 1 week
- Luke Shuey clean up Dangerfield, clearly high and had no eyes for the ball. No suspension

What the hell is going on?

Stupid sure but surely play on.

They get it right probably 9 out of 10 times. The fact that there have been no players contest their sanctions suggests this season they aren't making many truly terribly decisions.
Players don't contest their sanctions because it's near impossible to get off and if they don't get off they're looking at extra weeks.

They get it right probably 9 out of 10 times. The fact that there have been no players contest their sanctions suggests they aren't making many truly terribly decisions.
All that means is the MRP framework is weighted against players challenging the call. Even when they disagree with the call.

The Schofield decision aside, I agree that the MRP does need reform, for instance you shouldn't have to wait till Monday afternoon to find whether there's any charges from a game held the previous Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid sure but surely play on.
Personally I don't think it was suspension worthy but with the soft suspensions the AFL has handed out this year, most would have expected him to go for a week. Either way the MRP is a disgrace, and clearly are not on the same page with umpires and is a serious issue

Disagree. They got it wrong last week with Selwood. The rest have been just fine. I couldn't give a stuff about a few jumper punches, but elbows should get you a holiday.

Didn't see the one from last week, but I'll take your word.

Well this suspension has certainly set a harsh precedent that even if a hair on your elbow touches the hair on another persons chin it's an automatic 2 weeks.

Personally I don't think it was suspension worthy but with the soft suspensions the AFL has handed out this year, most would have expected him to go for a week. Either way the MRP is a disgrace, and clearly are not on the same page with umpires and is a serious issue

Bit hard to go for a week when you get the bloke in the shoulder.

It helps when your ex-team mate is on the MRP or tribunal. How they allow recent players onto these panels is probably more baffling than the fines handed out.

Schofield should not have gone for that.

Apart from the players and fans, anything associated with the AFL is a joke.

Wouldn’t matter if they overhauled it people would still complain and yell conspiracy depending on the club/player up for suspension. They get some wrong but they are for the most part pretty much on the money. Is it really that bad that they are essentially trying to educate players to stop throwing fists and elbows anywhere near the face. Schofield one is largely due to the AFL overreacting to the jumper punch issue IMO.

Read your original post

Wouldn’t matter if they overhauled it people would still complain and yell conspiracy depending on the club/player up for suspension. They get some wrong but they are for the most part pretty much on the money. Is it really that bad that they are essentially trying to educate players to stop throwing fists and elbows anywhere near the face. Schofield one is largely due to the AFL overreacting to the jumper punch issue IMO.
They really shouldn't be getting ones like the Selwood one wrong.

It's not like they decide on the verdict in a split second like umpires do on the ground.

They really shouldn't be getting ones like the Selwood one wrong.

It's not like they decide on the verdict in a split second like umpires do on the ground.

No argument from me on that one. Been a couple that are shake your head stuff but they at least follow a process to get their result and for the most part they are about right and seem to take emotion out of it. Agree that is one they got wrong.

Players don't contest their sanctions because it's near impossible to get off and if they don't get off they're looking at extra weeks.
All that means is the MRP framework is weighted against players challenging the call. Even when they disagree with the call.
I agree with both of these posts.

I still think the current MRP system makes it quite clear what players can and cant get away with on the football field. Occasionally there are incidents that can be interpreted differently in regards to intent and force which is impossible to make black and white given the human element involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back