Autopsy Time for a rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are gaps all over our squad but they can be fixed with clever recruiting and development

1) We have zero KPFs.
Dixon is stand and clunk but should focus on his strength of forward pressure, tackling and back up ruck
Georgie looks like a fabulous version of Darling being mid sized but the ability to take strong grabs
Who knows what Marshall will become but I see a Watts Mk2 of reality not adding up to talent and potential

Thus we need to recruit a KPF ........perhaps raiding GC for Luko or other

2) We lack a strong bodied pacey mid
Amon goes in and out of games
Wines is our bull but lacks pace
Drew is another bull but too similar to Wines
Boak is still great but on his last legs

Butters, Duurs and Rozee can spice things up but I feel we need one more to stand up against the better sides. Burton certainly has the potential but the body probably won't allow it.

3) A KPD
Clurey just an inch too short
Jonas 3 inches too short and getting older
Burton too short and too soft
Aliir has the height but more of an intercept than lock down defender
Leirnart is under rated but limited to the "Matthew Bishop" role

The question is, can we get these three players and at what cost

We are in a rebuild of sorts. Our under 25s and Ollie Wines to lead them are good.

We have been stuck mid table for ages, so the only way to get more list capital (cause we’re not getting early picks) is to recruit free agents - this is arguably better done when a non Victorian club is not on the bottom of the ladder.

Another way to build list capital is kind of to preserve the longevity of older players - if Boak/Gray/Dixon can play for longer - less recruiting is needed.

I somewhere heard the club wants to target specific drafts. So, perhaps this is our list strategy. Constant mini rebuilds. Willingness to lose certain players with value in certain years. Recruit free agents.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No more *in half back flankers to be drafted for 5 years, unless they have Charlie Cameron or Kosi Pickett level speed.

We already are rebuilding. We should be saying goodbye to Rockliff, Hartlett and McKenzie this year.

Gray, Boak & Motlop the year after.

We've got 15 players under 21 in our squad.

We need a couple more strong drafts though.
We absolutely do.

Our hands are somewhat tied with a lack of draft picks this year. With 1 pick (before a jase bid) then paying for jase we will burn our 4ths and probably be left with a medium to small-ish deficit for next year.

So we don’t have much manoeuvrability unless we get ultra creative.

It’s why I’m really against people suggesting we trade for players who will fill the 20-30 area of our roster.

Parker needs picks to build our list. He’s done a pretty decent job so far and I don’t want to waste time picking up other teams failed draft picks so Parker can’t have a crack himself.

As I put up elsewhere boak and gray currently account for 9.7 clearances a game.

I think life post those two we can expect a jump of 1-2 from drew and 1-3 from butters but I don’t know where the other 2-5 are coming from. Not to mention it’s less the numbers and more the when and how they’ve gotten clearances for us that have made the difference.

I often see people refer to port needing pacy mids.

If there’s a team out there with a better younger running mid collection than Amon duursma Farrell rozee butters (tho I’m not sure I would call him quick?) spp Bonner and possibly Bergman I would love to hear what team this is.

Pick most teams and you would be naming quasi state league players well before you got anywhere near that long a list.

That’s as good a young collection of pacy running mids as I reckon you could hope to have.

Though I think it’s the sluggish-ness of our centre mids that irritates people and I agree that we could use speed in there (which is why they have pushed Amon in there and before that there was a failed experiment to turn Motlop into that player)

My hope was that rozee and spp would transition into there and a centre combo of wines drew rozee butters spp and occasionally Amon rotating through there in life after boak and gray would be more varied pace wise.

This year watching rozee get injured every second time he touches the ball and spp go backwards has cast massive doubt in my mind though.

So I wouldn’t say we need more pacy players like wingers but a genuine centre clearance mid that has a bit more zip or pace would be ideal.

Probably on the wish list of every other team tho too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back