Time for Australia VS. Australia A?

Remove this Banner Ad

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In my opinion there's way too much international cricket happening nowadays. No one cares anymore when we play India because they play every 6 months it seems like it. I reckon there would be a lot of benefit to reduce the amount of international cricket to a world cup every 4 years in the odi, test and t20 formats, and the remaining 3 years teams play domestically and improve amongst themselves. People that like the sport will take whatever they get and if they have a team to get behind locally, it will bring more passion to the game. They way its being run at the moment, as a means to make profit, reduces its authenticity as an enjoyable contest and makes it seem like it's going through the motions.
One question I haven't answered is do you make an exception for certain series such as the Ashes that are always highly viewed. There's multiple ways you could go about it but one idea I had was maybe one test series every 2 years home and away against one opponent, as a sort of practice for the world tournament in the middle. Australia V England
India V Pakistan
South Africa V New Zealand
West Indies V Bangladesh
Etc. Etc and then you could rotate opponents, different one every year. Imagine how big the ashes would be if they were only played every 12 years?

It gives us more reason to support our team if we only get to every 4 years (apart from the single series in the middle)
It gives our players more ambition and more importantly, a better opportunity, to show that they are playing on a level field when it comes to selection.

What are your thoughts?

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I guess I should have explained my imagined domestic set up would be state V state with one Australia V Australia A team at the end of every year. Other countries may do differently and set theirs up however it suits them.

Also realise it's not likely to happen at all. A man can dream though right?

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
One of my favourite things about cricket is the fact that the international game is the most important part. There is absolutely no way I want the domestic game to be what the fans follow most and I say this as one of the few people who still follow the Sheffield Shield.

There are plenty (see nearly every other sport) where you can follow the domestic league and bring the "passion" of following a franchise. Let cricket be different.

There is certainly an argument to say there is too much international cricket played especially ODI cricket with no context however the ICC have been trying to temper this through the introduction of the ODI Super League and Test Championship after the World Cup.

We're also playing Australia v Australia A in about 2 months. No one will give a s**t about it except for who plays well and presses their claim for an Ashes spot.

Crashy

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
It would not work these days considering every man and his dog in the domestic circuit has played for the national side. I felt the appeal was the top class v the next rung and upandcomers. Back when there weren't players 'rested' every second game and when the national side wasn't playing in two series at the same time on opposite sides of the world.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This backfired a bit when they had the A side in the one day series and everyone supported them over the first XI.

That was the reason/excuse for stopping it, Australia players didn't like crowds cheering Australia A instead of them. Though I imagine other countries willingness to partake and the ICC's thoughts on the matter were more important.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
That was the reason/excuse for stopping it, Australia players didn't like crowds cheering Australia A instead of them. Though I imagine other countries willingness to partake and the ICC's thoughts on the matter were more important.

and the only reason they did it in the first place was because it would've otherwise meant a tri-series of aust/eng/zim.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
In my opinion there's way too much international cricket happening nowadays. No one cares anymore when we play India because they play every 6 months it seems like it. I reckon there would be a lot of benefit to reduce the amount of international cricket to a world cup every 4 years in the odi, test and t20 formats, and the remaining 3 years teams play domestically and improve amongst themselves. People that like the sport will take whatever they get and if they have a team to get behind locally, it will bring more passion to the game. They way its being run at the moment, as a means to make profit, reduces its authenticity as an enjoyable contest and makes it seem like it's going through the motions.
One question I haven't answered is do you make an exception for certain series such as the Ashes that are always highly viewed. There's multiple ways you could go about it but one idea I had was maybe one test series every 2 years home and away against one opponent, as a sort of practice for the world tournament in the middle. Australia V England
India V Pakistan
South Africa V New Zealand
West Indies V Bangladesh
Etc. Etc and then you could rotate opponents, different one every year. Imagine how big the ashes would be if they were only played every 12 years?

It gives us more reason to support our team if we only get to every 4 years (apart from the single series in the middle)
It gives our players more ambition and more importantly, a better opportunity, to show that they are playing on a level field when it comes to selection.

What are your thoughts?

i'm of the opposite opinion.
i believe there's too much mickey mouse domestic cricket (particularly 20/20) going on.

the only thing i agree with, is playing everyone evenly.

this could easily be done over a 5 year period with the 11 test nations.

you'd have the 10 nations visiting over a 5 year period (2 per summer) and having 2 away tours in our winter each year.

you say imagine how big the ashes would be if played every 12 years - some players careers dont go that long - can you imagine if some greats never got to play in an ashes series ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back