Time for brodie smith to play in the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes the first to have a bad game when its a tough game. One of the normal ones that goes missing under pressure.
It's a bit of that bit just as much as much that we lose when he gets shut down

Chicken or the egg

Moral is we need to be more multi faceted and not just smith and Sloane ( these guys were missing v WC in round 23 and no coincidence)

Normally teams tag sloane and have a player run with smith. I doubt if both are playing in the middle at the same time the will tag both therefore freeing up one or the other.
That is exactly right.

They are always the two, along with with Lynch that they try and stop.

It's clear from the opposition analysis that these three they see as being damaging.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone go to Laird for example, even though he racks up monstrous amounts of possession.

Seedsman for Smith, Smith to midfield, Douglas to the bench.

Beech and Otten out, as good a news story as they are, they both make our movement worse. The Gov and Knight in.

Cheney or Doedee for Kelly would be the other move I make.

Any medium defender cannot be a pure shut down guy.

You can afford 2 pure shut down guys I reckon in the backline, one for bigs and another for smalls, the rest must bring more to the table. We have 4.

Smith was playing about a third to a half of games in the midfield during our winning streak... but hasn't played much during the last month or so.

As a minimum he should be at least playing a chunk of the game through the midfield rotations... but given his form at the moment, I agree with the OP that he should be released in the midfield to run amok.

If Seedsman isn't ready, we can either bring in Wigg or use Douglas as a HBF.

That is exactly right.

They are always the two, along with with Lynch that they try and stop.

It's clear from the opposition analysis that these three they see as being damaging.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone go to Laird for example, even though he racks up monstrous amounts of possession.

Seedsman for Smith, Smith to midfield, Douglas to the bench.

Beech and Otten out, as good a news story as they are, they both make our movement worse. The Gov and Knight in.

Cheney or Doedee for Kelly would be the other move I make.

Any medium defender cannot be a pure shut down guy.

You can afford 2 pure shut down guys I reckon in the backline, one for bigs and another for smalls, the rest must bring more to the table. We have 4.
Nailed it

The reason for keeping him HB has always been that he is an AA HB so why remove that weapon.

Well he hasn't played like that for 2 seasons. The only time he plays well is because we are winning, we never win because he is playing well anymore.

Smith at his best his contested in close stuff is as good as his outside game. Problem is I don't think he has even trained in midfield group since Pyke arrived

When was the last time one of our midfielders got the ball out of a centre clearance, sprinted out of the clearance and hit our forward lace out on the chest. We might win clearances at times but not like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes the first to have a bad game when its a tough game. One of the normal ones that goes missing under pressure.
I think he just gets shut down easily. Good teams put work into him and he or the coaches have never been able to help it.

I wouldn't be against actually trying him there. Like people have said, it hasn't really been tried.

At the moment he isn't being overly effective.

FFS some of you blokes. He was recruited as a midfielder.

He starred off the half back because he played like a midfielder. But he's too damaging at it so they shut him down. That just shows how well he was doing it.

If he's not playing that role he sucks as a defender.

Why would anyone advocate trading him or writing him off if he hasn't been given the chance to play the position he was drafted?

Blame our ******* stupid coaches not Smith.

He starred off the half back because he played like a midfielder. But he's too damaging at it so they shut him down. That just shows how well he was doing it.

Why would anyone advocate trading him or writing him off if he hasn't been given the chance to play the position he was drafted?

If he can't handle the heat on the half back flank what makes you think he can handle the heat in the midfield? It's not a skill or ability issue, he isn't mentally tough enough to play pressure football.

Nailed it

This talk of Smith being soft is utter BS. He and Brouch our only inside mid first round picks.

Of our key three, 1st is Sloane. Gets played in centre almost exclusively, gets a hard tag and is stuffed, so move him Pyke, he's a great mark and something different up forward makes sense.

Smith is shut down off half back, bring in Seeds and move him to middle. Rotate Crouch x 2, Smith, Greenwood and Charlie through there with Sloane.

On Kelly, he is tough, runs hard and has damn good disposal now. His pass to Betts on the weekend was perfect. Puts him on the likes of Selwood and tell him to smash the S***head.

Finally, why would we not put Charlie down on half forward, ala Harbrow. Would be another great alternative and would worry teams with his run

Brodes can take his wares to the SANFL where he can be the joker and the funny man. Too much of a front runner to make it in the midfield. In the four losses we've had this year he has gone missing. Greenwood shows more fight than Brodes does. Needs to lift his game to the next level. Maybe a run in the magooes might wake him up.

Brodes can take his wares to the SANFL where he can be the joker and the funny man. Too much of a front runner to make it in the midfield. In the four losses we've had this year he has gone missing. Greenwood shows more fight than Brodes does. Needs to lift his game to the next level. Maybe a run in the magooes might wake him up.
Again have you seen him play midfield to say he won't make it? In our four losses what has happened to him?

If he can't handle the heat on the half back flank what makes you think he can handle the heat in the midfield? It's not a skill or ability issue, he isn't mentally tough enough to play pressure football.
Is Sloane handling the heat? Should we trade him?

And what kind of heat are you talking about? The heat that sees someone shut you down?

If it gets to that stage where he's copping a tagger in the middle, great that means it's been a success. But they won't be able to tag Smith and Sloane. Win win

And why wouldn't you want to at least see it tried? It makes no sense not too.

Smith was playing about a third to a half of games in the midfield during our winning streak... but hasn't played much during the last month or so.

As a minimum he should be at least playing a chunk of the game through the midfield rotations... but given his form at the moment, I agree with the OP that he should be released in the midfield to run amok.

If Seedsman isn't ready, we can either bring in Wigg or use Douglas as a HBF.

We stopped nearly all our midfield rotations because our slow forward line means we don't have the flexibility for it anymore. Either that or our coaches decided to just abandon it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back