Analysis Time for Fletcher Roberts to be the KPD he can be

Remove this Banner Ad

Underrated.

Gets mauled in a couple of one-outs a game or burned on a fast break and that's what sticks in the mind.

Reads the play well enough to cover his physical limitations 95% of the time. He's a very smart footballer.

Fletch is a bit akin to a Matthew Croft defender if my memory serves me correctly - was only young during Croft's latter years.

A bit lethargic, doesnt do anything 'special' but does all the simple things as a defender well.

His start to the season was great imo, and then fell back a little and was a little stiff to be dropped.

He'll make it, and I have the confidence he'll consolidate his spot in the next couple weeks. Played juniors as a forward so can swing up forward like we did with Adams if needed.

Think you are underselling Croft there. Did a good job every week as an undersized KPD. Rarely beaten and super reliable.

Think you are underselling Croft there. Did a good job every week as an undersized KPD. Rarely beaten and super reliable.
Not to mention athleticism - Croft actually debuted on a wing and could play anywhere.

Fletch is smart enough to play within his limitations, I'm glad we have him on the list. No world-beater, would have been a gun in the 80s with his ability to kick long

Saw many of Matthew Croft's games and he is twice the footballer of Fletcher Roberts, is not comparable. Roberts is out of contract and the dogs do not seem to be in any hurry to resign him. Instead of standing there and pointing his finger at others, Roberts needs to stand up and get some prick in him. Get **** Kennedy down the club to teach him something about letting your opponent know you mean business. Fletcher needs to wake up and if he wants to continue his career, now is the time to show it.

I find it funny that Hamling gets all the plaudits for his job on Cameron and Buddy in the prelim and grand finals when in reality Roberts stood them just as much.

He's a good backman and he'll show it again in the coming weeks while still being a whipping boy after losing 1 or 2 one on ones a game.

Fletcher is following on from Morris. Continually expected to punch above his weight. Fletch would be a terrific 3rd tall. Using him as key we just have to accept he will be outmuscled and outplayed by the weapons but hold his own with the lesser lights. Remember also, we play a designated structure. He has a good footy brain so can adapt. Too many folks see the man on the mark and assume he is the opponent thus can be blamed for resultant goal. Footy ain't that simple any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liken Fletch to Laurent Koscielny. Very solid 90% of the time, and can in fact do things that really stand out to save a goal.

The other 10% is a bit of a cluster*, and you kinda just have to hold on while that time's happening and hope you don't get too severely punished.

But love the big fella.

Matty Croft was not undersized he was a pretty big bloke

In fact nearly identical size to Carey

He did a job week in week out and have his all

Guess it depends on what you think KPD ideal height should be. I think 191 cm is undersized and you seem to see it differently.

Wayne Carey was 192cm
Lockett 191cm
Dunstall 188cm
Ablett 185 cm

These are the players that a 191 cm Croft played on.

Can't compare today's players to what he played on

Still amazed and pleased that old mate Fletch is a premiership KPD. Amazed. Incredibly limited player athletically speaking. Not quick. Not strong. Not overly gifted.

Having been dropped for 2 out of the last three games it seems normal transmission has resumed.

No one can take his premiership medallion off him. Good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back