Time for Hartigan to be dropped

Hartigan is a spud

• Agree

• Disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I cringe everytime he goes to kick the ball out of defence... it’s terrifying to watch!..

Everything else his does is great and there’s no one currently in the squad that deserves his spot in my opinion..

And it’s a little bit rough to judge him on his first hit out of the year that happened to be on such a ridiculously hot day..

Hartigan has a track record of starting poorly, but thankfully in this past record it only lasts one or two games before he gets back to normal.
That's where I differ .

I think he has a track record of starting poorly, becoming serviceable at best (he is very slow to move the ball and allows teams to structure up defensively ) and only kicks sideways or backwards, and then fails under pressure in big games. Like against franklin a couple of yrs ago against Sydney in the finals. He was petrified every time the ball came near him.

We need players that stand up under pressure. In finals. He has shown he doesn't.

I dunno, you keep going on about Watts kicking 6 on him...
Only posted 3 times and Mentioned it twice. I have Referenced his finals failings under pressure more times than that. So don't try and twist it.

So is the gf a lower level game in your opinion? He was horrid in the gf and cost us 3 goals directly in the first half.

Watts kicking 6 on him and taking chest marks when Hartigan should have been getting a fist in (jlt match or not) just highlights his spudliness for those like yourself that refuse to see it.

Last edited:
Always costs us at least 1-3 goals every game from brain fades. I usually breathe a sigh of relief if he actually has a decent game which has become the exception rather than the norm.

Hartigan has a few runs on the board imo. Not a lot but a few. Did a great job on Robbie Gray last year IIRC. We'll need him for sure in round 1 against the tall Essendon forward line so let's see how he goes in the real stuff first but if he spuds it up a few times it's back to the 2nds you go.
P.S. Same to you JJ.

Always costs us at least 1-3 goals every game from brain fades. I usually breathe a sigh of relief if he actually has a decent game which has become the exception rather than the norm.

Last year in the games he played when he wasn’t injured he beat Patton Cameron Hawkins dusty gray Kennedy Daniher Gunston, pretty impressive list

He also beat kersten and membry who aren’t that good

Got schooled by Waite and Peterson

Wished he played against Sydney when Keath and Talia got schooled by buddy

To even suggest he shouldn’t be playing is insane

He had a poor GF as did Tex Betts Sloane and Talia along with another 10 players

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last year in the games he played when he wasn’t injured he beat Patton Cameron Hawkins dusty gray Kennedy Daniher Gunston, pretty impressive list

It's when the ball is being pounded in to our defensive 50 and the pressure is on and he needs to stand up that he fails.

Talia at least wins the 50/50s by spoiling or getting it out of bounds or through for a point when we are getting a lot of inside 50s against us. Can't say the same for Hartigan.

I must admit I'm not over enthusiastic about Hartigan going forward but it is what it is and I really don't see Keath as a KPD at this point in time so basically the cupboard is bare. Dear was tried for a game or two in defence in the SANFL during the season but soon reverted back to the Forward line so that experiment didn't seem to work. I'm afraid Kyle's it into the future unless we trade a KPD in or go to the draft. My preference with Alex Keath is to develop him as a KPF where his pace on the lead could be a real weapon.

I must admit I'm not over enthusiastic about Hartigan going forward but it is what it is and I really don't see Keath as a KPD at this point in time so basically the cupboard is bare. Dear was tried for a game or two in defence in the SANFL during the season but soon reverted back to the Forward line so that experiment didn't seem to work. I'm afraid Kyle's it into the future unless we trade a KPD in or go to the draft. My preference with Alex Keath is to develop him as a KPF where his pace on the lead could be a real weapon.

Keath to the forward line. JJ to defense. Get him to use his non-statesticle pressure.
Farq could we imagine it.
At least we’d have a shot at Rankine.

Played poorly in the Grand Final, but wasnt alone. Dig back through his finals the last few years and you'll find he was pretty good.

He's a serviceable role player as a 2nd tall defender, who cost us nothing and is likely not taking up much cap space. Theres no one on our list that offers more and theres other areas I'd invest in before upgrading him.

JLT is meaningless.

Bingo, he is cheap and does an effective job as a role player (despite having the occasional horror day). That's all you need in a second KPD.

To upgrade from him, you are likely wasting valuable cap space for minimal return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone can say with conviction that Harto is a sure fire regular 22 for the rest of the year. Especially when you have guys like Keath, Doedee or even Dear can be trialed in this position. The real issue is the usage of the words "time (now) for Hartigan to be dropped". The time isn't now, but later if he isn't firing. Same goes with JJ and I suppose anyone else who was a starting regular 22 last year.
If we drop all the whipping boys all at once in Rd 1, we won't have enough to make a proper squad of AFL team!!

AFC member or Hartigan? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

800 posts, 500 likes. Clearly a knowledgeable footy head here folks lol.

Holy s**t, someone actually tried to equate likes for knowledge :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone can say with conviction that Harto is a sure fire regular 22 for the rest of the year. Especially when you have guys like Keath, Doedee or even Dear can be trialed in this position. The real issue is the usage of the words "time (now) for Hartigan to be dropped". The time isn't now, but later if he isn't firing. Same goes with JJ and I suppose anyone else who was a starting regular 22 last year.
If we drop all the whipping boys all at once in Rd 1, we won't have enough to make a proper squad of AFL team!!

How about Sloane getting seriously schooled in a number of games last year with a 5 gamer putting him in his back pocket in the big dance

Is he at risk of being dropped?

Probably more options than what we have to replace Harto

Kind of like the poll at the top of this thread I guess :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

It's definitely showing that you went way to early with this thread. :p

Remember, Hartigans saving grace is we don't pay him that much. The occasional mistake/horror game become much more forgivable when a player is playing a non-vital role, and giving (usually) solid output for (relatively) cheap wages.

Has a couple of shockers every year, e.g. NM and the GF.

Hopefully his bath by Watts counts toward that tally and we've already got one of them out of the way in the pre-season

Can we afford anyone better?

Or the better question, is giving up the collateral/salary cap space to upgrade from Hartigan worth it? Odds are we can afford it if we wanted to go this route, as caps aren't a rigid thing.

Back