Time for Hartigan to be dropped

Hartigan is a spud

• Agree

• Disagree

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's two types of players.
  1. Players you feel fairly confident of with ball in hand: Seedsman, Smith, Gibbs, Laird, Betts, etc.
  2. Players you cringe with ball in hand just hoping like hell they won't muck it up: Hartigan.
I actually cringe more when Hartigan has the ball than Kelly. With Kelly, as long as he has a little bit of time to steady (and not move it on impulsively), he's actually usually fine. With Hartigan, you just never know what's going to happen even if he's 50m in the clear.

There's two types of players.
  1. Players you feel fairly confident of with ball in hand: Seedsman, Smith, Gibbs, Laird, Betts, etc.
  2. Players you cringe with ball in hand just hoping like hell they won't muck it up: Hartigan.
I actually cringe more when Hartigan has the ball than Kelly. With Kelly, as long as he has a little bit of time to steady (and not move it on impulsively), he's actually usually fine. With Hartigan, you just never know what's going to happen even if he's 50m in the clear.
Also Talia with less than a minute to get rid of it. And Smith from the kick-in trying to go short. And Brown after he's had a run. And Laird going I50. And Poholke if he thinks about it. And Jocobs under pressure. And M Crouch most of the time. There might be a trend here I'm not sure.

When your stars are up and about the lesser lights are fine. But when your better players are missing or battling for fitness/form it exposes the next level.

To be fair, when your stars are missing or battling for fitness/form, you're not going to beat the top sides anyway.

Hartigan fills a role and performs well enough when we're up and running. When we're not, one could argue who cares how badly he performs?

If Keath is ready and fit, give him a go. But Hartigan stays on the list, at least until we have an obvious replacement. He's not what is costing us matches.

Always useful to get under the glare of Fri footy at the G against the strongest pressure side in the comp. Nowhere to hide, brutal exposure.

It's why I can't work out why Cheney is so underrated. Could not have been calmer and better skilled with ball in hand under real duress. Decisions always sound.

Hartigan and Kelly didn't make a lot of errors but in that environment you are punished.

Given the way the game panned out I thought we were pretty good defensively, kept us in it for 3/4. Our problems were in other areas

Would like to get another look at Keath over the next 6 weeks in place of Hartigan. At least Keath is quick, has good skills, can roost it a mile and would be useful in our team ball movement as opposed to Hartigan who is a hand brake similar to Kelly and DMac.

If anything the AFL team defence has shifted from just being able to beat your opponent one on one. You need to clear the zone or the ball will come straight back find a short hit up target who goals.

Gahd he's hopeless.

I remember when he wasn't too bad. Never reliable, but not too bad.

Now he's just bereft of footballing ability

Always useful to get under the glare of Fri footy at the G against the strongest pressure side in the comp. Nowhere to hide, brutal exposure.

It's why I can't work out why Cheney is so underrated. Could not have been calmer and better skilled with ball in hand under real duress. Decisions always sound.

Hartigan and Kelly didn't make a lot of errors but in that environment you are punished.

Given the way the game panned out I thought we were pretty good defensively, kept us in it for 3/4. Our problems were in other areas
Kelly disposal efficiency is 5% better than Hartigan around 82%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a pretty good job today, come on admit it!
You having a laugh? Even hartigan lovers were saying what a bad game he was having. Read the crows game day thread at least. He was shocking. Worst game of the year , keath looked like he has surpassed him and would be playing him ahead of hartigan. Talia in, hartigan out and keath gets a chance. Cheney been great as well.

You having a laugh? Even hartigan lovers were saying what a bad game he was having. Read the crows game day thread at least. He was shocking. Worst game of the year , keath looked like he has surpassed him and would be playing him ahead of hartigan. Talia in, hartigan out and keath gets a chance. Cheney been great as well.
Selectors will no doubt get it wrong though and keep Hartigan. Our selectors are normally half a season behind the rest of us.

That’s because he always chips it backwards to someone free because he’s too scared of doing something.

At least he knows his limitations. Rather Kelly chipping backwards than Hartigan kicking it straight to the opposition so the ball can sail back over his head.

Having said that, and to be fair, Hartigan provides another big bodied option to go against the likes of Hawkins and did ok one-one-one when he wasn't out of position.

How many marks does he get taken on him lol. Already 3 on my count. And they always say "nothing hartigan could have done there".. That's cos he's a meter behind and slow and can't get a fist to the ball. It's like me playing on westhoff who is currently destroying him and being 8 meters behind and the commentators saying "well there was nothing mick500 could have done"... Well I could be faster and better and get a fist in and provide a contest and at least bring the ball to ground if I was any good.

Hartigan - still useless.

How many marks does he get taken on him lol. Already 3 on my count. And they always say "nothing hartigan could have done there".. That's cos he's a meter behind and slow and can't get a fist to the ball. It's like me playing on westhoff who is currently destroying him and being 8 meters behind and the commentators saying "well there was nothing mick500 could have done"... Well I could be faster and better and get a fist in and provide a contest and at least bring the ball to ground if I was any good.

Thought he was actually quite quick.

Still think Keath is better though.

Happy to test him out now though.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Had a bit of a mare in the first quarter, poor positioning/reading of the play, then seemed to want to blame it on everyone else.

We dominated the second so less of an issue. At this stage I’m definitely picking Keath over Hartigan, not just on the basis of this game, but doing nothing to change my mind.

I am big Keath fan and remember watching him in his first game back after injury vs West Ad last year. Now Keath was rusty as (bordering on appalling) in the first half, and only minimally better in the second. Yet he played firsts about 3 weeks later and and was serviceable and built on that over the next few weeks.

Hartigan hasn't played much over the last 12 months, he'll be better for this run. Though tbh I prefer Keath at CHB and Talia at FB

Keath 'rolled an ankle' in a preseason game in 2018 and despite listed as a test missed 3 months of the season*. Gave himself no chance to overtake Hartigan

Would think the spot is there if he can stay on the park though.

Big if

*Fagan revealed to a poster on here that we lied about his ankle and it was actually a different injury but that's another story altogether

Back