News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the other option than eradication?
as the other guy said, all movement into the country to be halted. And by association leaving too cos planes wont fly unless they get both ways.

As incoming numbers are capped, people are finding only full business class passengers are coming. so what you get in effect, is the rich get to continue as before , but the rest of us take the biggest strain. Don't kid yourself it will be a total halt.

And how long do you think we'd need to maintain that, even if its possible? - which has yet to be proven.

We're on an island, once you eradicate it, if you aren't letting anyone in then you can go about life BAU

You could prob let a few hundred in every week but would need to harshly quarantine them maybe we can use christmas island for covid quarantine

We're on an island, once you eradicate it, if you aren't letting anyone in then you can go about life BAU

You could prob let a few hundred in every week but would need to harshly quarantine them maybe we can use christmas island for covid quarantine

How long? simple question. and christmas island - isn't that tens/hundreds of thousands dollars per person? if you want solutions to be long lasting, they need to be practical

How long? simple question. and christmas island - isn't that tens/hundreds of thousands dollars per person? if you want solutions to be long lasting, they need to be practical

Who cares how long, the rest of use can go about our lives.

The cost doesn't matter since they are already establishing laws to make people pay for their own quarantine, if people want to come back badly enough they pay their own way otherwise they stay where they are.

I think NZ is proof eradication is possible, they’ve had no local cases in months and have zero social distancing restrictions. We were 90% of the way there before this VIC flare up.

Queensland hasn’t had a local Covid case in months too. I hope we close our border soon so we can keep our Covid Free status and still get 50% capacity to AFL matches/everyday life being basically normal now here. That’s what other states should be aiming for.

Can we expect then the QLD and WA teams to have an advantage now if most of the games will have to be played in those states?

Brisbane and GC got to play in QLD for the first 5 rounds. Play rounds 6-7 in Sydney then go back to playing at home in QLD. Massive advantage for them...and especially Brisbane since they are genuine contenders.

Can we expect then the QLD and WA teams to have an advantage now if most of the games will have to be played in those states?

Brisbane and GC got to play in QLD for the first 5 rounds. Play rounds 6-7 in Sydney then go back to playing at home in QLD. Massive advantage for them...and especially Brisbane since they are genuine contenders.
Brisbane played away in rnd 1 against the hawks, Only 4 home games so far and the next 2 are away also (Giants Stadium and then Metricon) . So currently no real big advantage 4 away - 4 home

We’ll have been away for 3 weeks (Rds 5, 6 and 7) with 4 home games so far. That’s actually less than what Carlton has had to do to this point (5 rounds at home followed by the hub).

But yes the QLD teams will have an advantage in terms of living at home and having their same training facilities. However GC will play away games in Brisbane and I imagine up in Cairns too, so we won’t get all home games from now on.

I think NZ is proof eradication is possible, they’ve had no local cases in months and have zero social distancing restrictions. We were 90% of the way there before this VIC flare up.

Queensland hasn’t had a local Covid case in months too. I hope we close our border soon so we can keep our Covid Free status and still get 50% capacity to AFL matches/everyday life being basically normal now here. That’s what other states should be aiming for.

You can guarantee that that will remain so?

Who cares how long, the rest of use can go about our lives.

The cost doesn't matter since they are already establishing laws to make people pay for their own quarantine, if people want to come back badly enough they pay their own way otherwise they stay where they are.

SA charging, but a tiny amount of people went that way anyway.
Anyway this circular commentary came from my comment I was glad governments are getting more sophisticated and practical in their approach. I stand by that. They have more access to information and are not choosing eradication as a primary goal. Of course that is a nice outcome were it to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can guarantee that that will remain so?
Definitely not, especially with an open border with NSW. And even then if the border is closed, people could still sneak in and spread it here.

But we have been through 4 incubation periods without a single case now, so I am 99% sure that we don’t have any current undetected cases here. If we close our border ASAP we’d greatly increase the chance of remaining Covid Free (and the AFL season being able to finish).

Make no mistake ******* city folk can and will drive this s**t everywhere in mainland Aus. It means there will be one place left to host the big dance - the apple isle - and how sweet it will be for Tas to demand the obvious asking price. Hello 20 teams (plus third team in Sydney).

If you could get everyone to literally freeze 2 - 3 meters apart with a face mask on for 6 weeks, you would be done.

If you could get everyone to literally freeze 2 - 3 meters apart with a face mask on for 6 weeks, you would be done.

SA did exactly what I am proposing without having to freeze or do anything stupid.

Just do what they did, have a basic lockdown and refuse to take any returning travellers

Strikes me theres a group of people who have no alternative but to operate in the people infested world because thats their job.

Then there's the rest of us, still in work, doing it online, from home, convincing ourselves nothings changed, and wondering why the first group are finding it so hard to 'do the right thing' with distancing

SA did exactly what I am proposing without having to freeze or do anything stupid.

Just do what they did, have a basic lockdown and refuse to take any returning travellers
Banning Australians from entering their own country is problematic and not a path I'd like to see any government go down.

Plus, there may be countries where these people no longer have a visa or right to remain in. Should we just let them be locked up or become stateless?

Having them quarantine and pay for it is fine. Just do the job of maintaing quarantine properly.

Banning Australians from entering their own country is problematic and not a path I'd like to see any government go down.

Plus, there may be countries where these people no longer have a visa or right to remain in. Should we just let them be locked up or become stateless?

Having them quarantine and pay for it is fine. Just do the job of maintaing quarantine properly.

Welcome to Christmas Island

We’ll have been away for 3 weeks (Rds 5, 6 and 7) with 4 home games so far. That’s actually less than what Carlton has had to do to this point (5 rounds at home followed by the hub).

But yes the QLD teams will have an advantage in terms of living at home and having their same training facilities. However GC will play away games in Brisbane and I imagine up in Cairns too, so we won’t get all home games from now on.
Carlton have played at four different grounds in there six games.

Shutting the boarders was key for SA and I would have thought WA, but your right we went into lockdown pretty quick. It wasn't as effective as you would think, a lot of people broke the rules, including a football club. But for about two weeks there was no traffic on the road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back