News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Dan Andrews is particularly unimpressed with WA and Mark McGowan.

Mcgowan has used rather course language in talking about Victoria. Words like "infestation" "dire" and "Victorian crisis" have been peppered through his rhetoric for quite some time.

While Victoria has been moving backwards in terms of daily cases and restrictions. McGowan was rather smug in announcing 60K at Optus from 18th July.

Especially pertinent here is that he uses Victorians as the bogeyman in his justification for hard borders. An argument that, up until the last two weeks, was probably becoming untenable, and policy that Andrews deeply opposes.

That has to rub Dan Andrews up the wrong way.

Given that Dan Andrews runs the AFL, it probably explains why they were so reluctant to set up a WA hub, and really had to be brought to the table kcking and screaming.

The irony is that WA may become the most important element in any plan to get a 17 game home and away season complete in a way that allows all clubs to play each other once.

Dan is not pleased about this reality.

And on top of that his "Why would anyone go to South Australia" quip coincided with his state becoming the pariah of the nation.

I feel like Dan Andrews is particularly unimpressed with WA and Mark McGowan.

Mcgowan has used rather course language in talking about Victoria. Words like "infestation" "dire" and "Victorian crisis" have been peppered through his rhetoric for quite some time.

While Victoria has been moving backwards in terms of daily cases and restrictions. McGowan was rather smug in announcing 60K at Optus from 18th July.

Especially pertinent here is that he uses Victorians as the bogeyman in his justification for hard borders. An argument that, up until the last two weeks, was probably becoming untenable, and policy that Andrews deeply opposes.
What has Andrews said about WA to make you feel this way?

Where is the quote from Cotchin? Posters seem to be taking something as fact that I have never seen quoted anywhere. Anonymous sources mean nothing, the journo spins to suit the audience.

Happy to be proven wrong with a quote though, since I don't like agreeing with Richmond fans.
Here's the quote 747 ... make of it what you will mate. That third line in particular - the bit where Cotchin says that Richmond will do whatever it takes to continue the season - is particularly incriminating :rolleyes:

That (players choosing not to enter hubs) would be a genuine chance,” Cotchin said.

“I think it is going to be a challenge.

“(There’s) no doubt our footy club will be there (in a hub) and will partake and do what we need to do to continue the season.

“But there’s going to be a number of different individual cases or scenarios.

“We have guys with pending babies and other challenges or things going on in their life that we will just have to manage accordingly, and that is something we will manage inside of the club and make sure everyone is comfortable and happy.

“I think the most important thing is that our partners feel supported and have the required help that is going to be needed with players and coaches and staff being away for a period of time
."

Hawthorn’s Tom Scully said they were prepared to head into a hubs but expected the Hawks to support their players’ individual decisions.

“Certainly, yeah, we’ve got a number of players with young families and partners,” Scully told reporters on Tuesday.

“So I think the club would be very accommodating to those players.

“I guess every player’s got different individual circumstances... one thing the Hawthorn Football Club are really good at is looking after their people and their welfare.

“So I’ve got no doubt the club would work individually with every player to make sure they’re comfortable, first and foremost, and if we get in that situation obviously trying to get a good outcome for everyone
.”

The problem with Cotchin's comments are that they are designed to create uncertainty, the reaction of "maybe a number of players won't be up for this".

Just contrast his comments to that of Hurn or Sloane where they said "well if we have to, then we have to in order to get the season under way".

How many West Coast, Freo, Crows and Port players may have issues at home. I cannot believe not one of them has a sick parent, pregnant wife or a new born child yet every one of them relocated.

Why, because it's their job
Bit of revisionism there SS. I actually really like the way Sloane plays - he seems like a really good young fella and leader of his team and I'd love him to come to Tigerland - but I distinctly remember his AFL360 interview in April where he claimed that he and his wife would need to work out whether it was worth him going into a hub. Apparently he had a 6-month-old baby at the time (IIRC their previous baby was stillborn which is pretty tragic) and his wife holds quite a high-paying job herself. Can't help them from at least tossing around the idea of him not baling out for an extended period.

Of course, this won't quite fit with the anti-Vic narrative being sold throughout this and other countless threads.

Cotchin lost all chance to claim principle when he voted to allow Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Fremantle to go up to the QLD hub to continue the season

Sold out his fellow workers because it suited him

Now that it's on him, he's having a sook

If he had been consistent the whole time, then you can make your claim
Just out of curiosity, who DID vote against the hub?

What has Andrews said about WA to make you feel this way?

Nothing more than just a vibe between the two.

For instance, when Dan Andrews reached out to other states for support, he asked and thanked, SA,NSW,QLD and left WA out. Is that because he didn't want to ask a guy who has had a fair crack at Victoria over the last month, and didn't want to look like a dog with its tail between its legs?

Are you saying that you don't agree that there is friction?

It looks pretty obvious to me.

Andrews is far warmer with NSW, referring to the Premier on a first name basis, even though they are politically opposed in terms of party.

Who cares, are you really that invested in a mickey mouse season and in the ' season must go on at all costs ' camp. Amazing the amount of westies and non vics getting triggered by Cotch because he doesn't want to leave his family, it's just a game not life and death.

It's not life or death sure.

And I'm not triggered or invested.

Who cares? Well your here aren't you?

If you don't care don't post.

Love the excuse though when justified criticism gets levelled at Richmond. Who cares. It's not a real season. Blah blah blah.

It's a reflection on character from all clubs on how they act this season. Character doesn't come and go it's there. Same as culture.

Crotch has shown his true colours. Happy earlier to vote for others to do the dirty work but bauks when he and his side is asked to pitch in.

WA premier was spot on.......pampered.

For instance, when Dan Andrews reached out to other states for support, he asked and thanked, SA,NSW,QLD and left WA out. Is that because he didn't want to ask a guy who has had a fair crack at Victoria over the last month, and didn't want to look like a dog with its tail between its legs?

Andrews is far warmer with NSW, referring to the Premier on a first name basis, even though they are politically opposed in terms of party.

Co-operation between NSW and Vic govts has often been a counter when a federal govt goes rougue

I agree with this and don't really have any issue with what Cotchin has said, he also said that players may not go he didn't say they won't.
No one would begrudge a player wanting to be with his wife for the birth of their child, that is a genuine reason.
Having small kids at home is not a reason in my opinion, it's not as if players are being asked to leave for 3-4 months.
In regards to as you said they individually don't wish to go then why should they be paid to do something they have chosen not to do?
I have no issue with some saying they won't go, but there has to be a downside to that position. After all you have been employed to play football, we are in a very unusual circumstance of course and I am sure their contracts would not include this type of thing but the players need to be a bit real here and not cry poor old me while they take money and not perform.
Agreed. No play no pay.
Wouldn’t that be nice. Not going but still want my pay.

Sydney are going to Queensland this weekend so they can go back in Rd 6, the qld government have seemingly not retroactively applied their new rules which is helpful.

And you need a team to play Fremantle, Sydney is actually the only team that can play them left (Fre have played both QLD/SA teams, can’t play a vic team, wouldn’t play WCE, and can’t play GWS since they are playing Hawthorn this weekend). Fremantle also can’t fly home yet since they are not allowed to play any team other than West Coast while in quarantine (since the Perth teams get to home quarantine and be in the community while the Vic teams are having hotel quarantine), so Fremantle will play in QLD.

So weirdly, Rd 6 Fremantle vs Sydney in QLD is the one fixture 100% locked in, unless I’m missing something.

Sounds right, but means the Qld govt proclamation didn't last 4 days

Oh good lord, you didn't get a shoutout?

The figures are collated daily, and current up until 11pm the night before.

The lag you are talking about may be the expected time before we see the impact of any restrictions/health strategies put in place being reflected in test results.
No mate testing is banked up a week . Fact . Was on 3AW this morning .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No mate testing is banked up a week . Fact . Was on 3AW this morning .

Testing capacity in Vic was 20K. Now has been scaled up to 25K.

If there is a lag for test numbers over 20K it isn't a week.

Victoria test results are a week behind , thats how long it takes to get the result . So these daily figures are a week old . How difficult would it be to contact trace a positive result for that week . Victoria needs to be closed off .
Incorrect. I have family members who have received test results in under 24 hours.

Victoria test results are a week behind , thats how long it takes to get the result . So these daily figures are a week old . How difficult would it be to contact trace a positive result for that week . Victoria needs to be closed off .

No they aren't. Tests can be done and results given in a few hours. The test Mckenna falsely tested positive for was given on the morning of. If you heard that one 3AW, then they are incorrect. Maybe some low risk testing is a week behind, but definitely not in the harder impacted areas of Melbourne.

Last edited:

There will be no peace until the West Australians hand over Kranky Al

Players and staff from up to 7 clubs are now relocating before midnight tonight in order to be able to enter NSW.

Surprised NSW did not specify that anyone has been in a COVID hotspot in the last 14 days.

The AFL is absolutely scrambling to keep this season going, and yet refuse the simplest option. Get all 10 teams out of Victoria by Monday.

Players and staff from up to 7 clubs are now relocating before midnight tonight in order to be able to enter NSW.

Surprised NSW did not specify that anyone has been in a COVID hotspot in the last 14 days.

The AFL is absolutely scrambling to keep this season going, and yet refuse the simplest option. Get all 10 teams out of Victoria by Monday.

On a general level, that is NOT what should be happening from a local lockdown. Its what happened in Wuhan. What if everyone did this?
Is it also against AFL covid rules? western oval is in the zone. If a WB player who has 'relocated' out of the zone is then caught entering the zone and the address on drivers licence is in the zone - thats a breach.

Aren't they better just getting exemptions from NSW given they've been living in AFL lockdown?

I guess its a clue that NSW is a definite starter

Last edited:
It's not life or death sure.

And I'm not triggered or invested.

Who cares? Well your here aren't you?

If you don't care don't post.

Love the excuse though when justified criticism gets levelled at Richmond. Who cares. It's not a real season. Blah blah blah.

It's a reflection on character from all clubs on how they act this season. Character doesn't come and go it's there. Same as culture.

Crotch has shown his true colours. Happy earlier to vote for others to do the dirty work but bauks when he and his side is asked to pitch in.

WA premier was spot on.......pampered.
I'm saying, who cares if players opt out of going on the road for weeks at a time, hell i'm surprised the eagles players just bent over and did what they were told because they are certainly playing like they would rather be back home, i would not have battered an eyelid if the eagle/freo/crows/power players decided there were more important things in life this year than leaving home for 6-7 weeks so the AFL can collect their precious broadcast dollars.

If Cotchin decides to stay home, will you actually really care or will dislike of the tigers propel you to lay the boots in.

Or is the AFL that important to you that every player should bow down to the AFL and do as they are told.

Would we expect Steele Sidebottom to be banned from the W.A Hub as a result of his transgressions btw? Would the WA government even allow him in if he isnt suspended?

Will be much more interesting then the McKenna situation to see how it all plays out. I personally think it should just be a 1 week tap as he hasnt made a huge transgression here but we have a weird situation where the WA Govt could overrule the AFL

Already got enough Sidebottom's in this state, don't want anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back